• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Downfall of the Left

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Many people may not realize it right now, but the protests, the violence, the chants of "not my president," etc., are only going to hurt the Democratic Party in the long run. Moderates and swing voters are looking at that behavior and they will associate it with the Left. When future elections roll around, those same swing voters may think twice before aligning themselves with the Left because of it.

To the protesters, it may seem like they are standing up for a cause they believe in. Ultimately, they are driving a wedge between the Left and everyone else. Politically, they are their own worst enemy.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Many people may not realize it right now, but the protests, the violence, the chants of "not my president," etc., are only going to hurt the Democratic Party in the long run. Moderates and swing voters are looking at that behavior and they will associate it with the Left. When future elections roll around, those same swing voters may think twice before aligning themselves with the Left because of it.

To the protesters, it may seem like they are standing up for a cause they believe in. Ultimately, they are driving a wedge between the Left and everyone else. Politically, they are their own worst enemy.

Politics are never so set in stone, just look who won the election.
Swing voters tend to have a good head on their shoulders, they should understand that the Left majority doesn't support such behavior.

Not openly, anyways.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Swing voters tend to have a good head on their shoulders, they should understand that the Left majority doesn't support such behavior.

They do understand, as do I. But all it takes is a few bad apples and people have a tendency to use a wide brush to paint everyone of that demographic as one. The same thing happens toward cops. The thing is that those from the Right did not engage in such behavior on the scale that we are seeing, when Obama was elected.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

Absolutely wrong.

Liberals have been lazy and complacent, and fell asleep at the switch. It didn't help that the Democratic candidate was not actually a liberal.

A mistake we will not make again.

Trump has woken the sleeping giant. I was at those protests (in Austin). I'm starting to get engaged ina way I never have before. . .

This was my first step, and I urge all those who find Trump's policies and politics to be morally abhorrent to volunteer here:

Volunteer to help elect Democrats

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Absolutely wrong.

Liberals have been lazy and complacent, and fell asleep at the switch. It didn't help that the Democratic candidate was not actually a liberal.

A mistake we will not make again.

Trump has woken the sleeping giant. I was at those protests (in Austin). I'm starting to get engaged ina way I never have before. . .

This was my first step, and I urge all those who find Trump's policies and politics to be morally abhorrent to volunteer here:

Volunteer to help elect Democrats

We shall see.

True Democrats will always be Democrats. True Republicans will always be Republicans. It's the moderates, the swing voters, that make the biggest difference. They are the subject of the OP.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

The republicans have won only a single popular vote for president in the last 28 years.

Carl W.

VOLUNTEER TO HELP ELECT DEMOCRATS?

No thank you.
How about posing the statement "Volunteer to
help elect Republicans" ?

I've never seen such junvenile, panty wetting, whining, over an election.

Laika

Premium Member

"the left" is diverse and has been since it started. I realise it won't look like it from outside the same way as people may mistakenly blur the "right" into a single homogenous group. So division amongst left wing groups is nothing new.

Certian sections of the "left" have been in terminal decline for decades such as Marxist-Leninists that all but died out with the USSR. the "New Left" surged in the 60's and 70's through support by addressing issues outside the "class" viewpoint including left wing feminists, environmentalists, anti-racists, anti-imperialists, eyc. now those groups are in crisis with the Trump backlash. It will require adaption to get through.

On the subject of sectarianism There's an old commie joke that makes the point well:
"What do you get if when you lock four trotskyists in a room? Five factions."

For commies its funny because its true. In the UK there are between 20 to 30 far left parties competing for less than 1% of the vote and its been that way since I was born basically. But the monty python sketch below touches the same theme too. Enjoy!

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The republicans have won only a single popular vote for president in the last 28 years.

Many presidents sit for 2 terms, so between Clinton, Bush and Obama, that's not saying much. 24 years of being in the Oval Office spread over only 3 men. :shrug:

But since we live in a republic (I am SURE I have mentioned that already) the popular vote does not mean squat outside of the state level.

Here's another way to look at it:

Bush Sr.: Republican
Clinton: Democrat
Bush Jr.: Republican
Obama: Democrat
Trump: Republican

Are you seeing a theme here? The people give a president 1-2 terms to get stuff done and then they vote the other way.

Last edited:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
They've been their own worst enemy for the last 8 years.

Really, it will be an aberration if Republicans aren't the same while they have power. It seems to be the case much of the time.

70ish Congressional members boycotted the inauguration, including the likely new head of the DNC.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
We shall see.

True Democrats will always be Democrats. True Republicans will always be Republicans. It's the moderates, the swing voters, that make the biggest difference. They are the subject of the OP.

The wedge is being driven by the Trump right, with their attempts to deligitimize investigative journalism and simply making up facts to suit them.

"Biggest inauguration audience ever."

"I've always been on the side of the US intelligence community. It's jus the lying media."

"We've always been at war with Eurasia."

Americans are good and decent people, and they won't put up with that Orwellian crap for long. Look at his poll numbers. . .

It of course those are faked too, aren't they?

You're in the bubble. I get it. But in the end, only the diehards like you will remain.

Everyone else wil be with us.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Many presidents sit for 2 terms, so between Clinton, Bush and Obama, that's not saying much. 24 years of being in the Oval Office spread over only 3 men. :shrug:

But since we live in a republic (I am SURE I have mentioned that already) the popular vote does not mean squat outside of the state level.
4 actually. Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump. 4 presidencies and 7 elections. Its a 6:1 ratio of loss/win of the popular vote. I know you don't believe the popular vote matters and in who is elected that is true. I just don't see how someone can see the numbers and start loading the death cannons for the Democratic party.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

And what the hell do you think they see when they see *****-Grabber in Chief over there making up nonsense and ignoring reality?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The wedge is being driven by the Trump right, with their attempts to deligitimize investigative journalism and simply making up facts to suit them.

"Biggest inauguration audience ever."

"I've always been on the side of the US intelligence community. It's jus the lying media."

"We've always been at war with Eurasia."

Americans are good and decent people, and they won't put up with that Orwellian crap for long. Look at his poll numbers. . .

It of course those are faked too, aren't they?

You're in the bubble. I get it. But in the end, only the diehards like you will remain.

Everyone else wil be with us.

Libertarians are diehards? Not sure if that is a compliment or a jab.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
They do understand, as do I. But all it takes is a few bad apples and people have a tendency to use a wide brush to paint everyone of that demographic as one. The same thing happens toward cops. The thing is that those from the Right did not engage in such behavior on the scale that we are seeing, when Obama was elected.

Oh well, I guess. I wont be sad about it, might even be a little entertaining.
I don't like either side and hope they both hit the mat for a ten count TKO.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
And what the hell do you think they see when they see *****-Grabber in Chief over there making up nonsense and ignoring reality?

If everyone brought up crap they did from 20+ years ago, I doubt we would find a single person that did not have a skeleton or two in their closet. As to ignoring reality, I will say it: Trump is an egomaniac. He is so concerned with his image and having everyone love Him, and when that doesn't happen he gets bent out of shape. He needs to stop worrying about Twitter and focus on the country.

Carl W.

The election is OVER.
Let's see what the next 4 years will bring.
How bad can it get.
Oh, wait!:eek:
DO NOT answer that.:(

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
the protests, the violence, the chants of "not my president,"
I think you are doing a huge disservice to the peaceful protests by lumping it all together. All three of these things are separate issues with separate demographics with separate messages.

To the protesters, it may seem like they are standing up for a cause they believe in.
How can you ask someone who genuinely believes in something to remain silent for the sake of future political value? You can't do it. It was a historic demonstration which may or may not have effects in the future. We will have to see. To simple say this is the "downfall of the left" is silly. Many proclaimed that Obama was the downfall of the right, that was a silly statement now, just as I feel that this is a silly statement now.