• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Debate

David T

Premium Member
I go a little bit back and forth on polygyny. It seems to me there are good arguments on both sides of the issue. I tend, however, to come down on the opposing side -- at least for now -- because of what might be the social consequences of it.

It seems to lead to rich old men monopolizing the supply of women, leaving many younger, less well established men without partners. In turn that seems to have a number of undesirable social consequences.

I would be very concerned that more research be done on that before I would enthusiastically support polygyny.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It would. Our laws aren't set up for that. The West has never allowed plural marriage, going back to Greece and Rome.
You say that but I disagree. In most instances we have laws that would serve as suitable workarounds already. The most change would need to occur in estate law when a decedent died intestate. And we can fix that by leaving the wife's share the same and splitting it evenly between the multiple wives.

What else do you think would need to be changed?

David T

Premium Member
I would imagine most atheists will be against polygyny, just on the grounds that it was condoned (2 Samuel 12:8) and in some cases commanded (Deuteronomy 25:5) by God.
Logic would dictAte that. But my guess most are closeted southern baptists loving to cherry pick. Just a guess. Sort of like being hetrosexual in denial. Lol.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
You say that but I disagree. In most instances we have laws that would serve as suitable workarounds already. The most change would need to occur in estate law when a decedent died intestate. And we can fix that by leaving the wife's share the same and splitting it evenly between the multiple wives.

What else do you think would need to be changed?
What about inheritance? Whose kids get what? Spousal support? Custody?

Curious George

Veteran Member
What about inheritance? Whose kids get what? Spousal support? Custody?
We already have laws that deal qith inheritance for children of families with second spouses and step parents. It is not really a problem. We also have laws that handle child support for divorced parents that are remarried. Custody is also already handled looking at caregivers. These are not really that problematic. Like i said, we already have workarounds from the various family types that already exist.

shmogie

So, we have two topics that have been debated to death: abortion and same-sex marriage. As these are beaten horses at this point, I've decided to start a thread on a debate that crops up somewhat, but not particularly often.

Welcome to the polygyny debate. Polygyny is defined as a man having more than one wife.

Do you agree that polygyny should be legal? Why? Why not?

It should be legal in the civil sense of marriage. Why not ?

Marriage has been completely redefined, so, if the term can be twisted to mean the bizarre, why not allow equality across the board for any and all bizarre combinations.

I say, make marrying a tortoise or robot legal, equality under the law for all, wasn't that the mantra for same sex marriages ?

All means all, let'em do what they want. Have a hundred wives, go for it, just make damn sure you and they aren't on welfare

I think polygamy should be allowed, NOT BECAUSE ID PRACTICE IT, but because of freedom. As long as all parties mutually consent, go for it.

David T

Premium Member
ok mime it mr hermit!!!
1544388546-picsay.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
We already have laws that deal qith inheritance for children of families with second spouses and step parents. It is not really a problem. We also have laws that handle child support for divorced parents that are remarried. Custody is also already handled looking at caregivers. These are not really that problematic. Like i said, we already have workarounds from the various family types that already exist.
Laws dealing with past spouses aren't the same as laws dealing with current spouses.