• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Debate

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So, we have two topics that have been debated to death: abortion and same-sex marriage. As these are beaten horses at this point, I've decided to start a thread on a debate that crops up somewhat, but not particularly often.

Welcome to the polygyny debate. Polygyny is defined as a man having more than one wife.

Do you agree that polygyny should be legal? Why? Why not?

@Saint Frankenstein @Shiranui117 @Deeje @RabbiO @SalixIncendium @Sunstone @icehorse @Ellen Brown

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I go a little bit back and forth on polygyny. It seems to me there are good arguments on both sides of the issue. I tend, however, to come down on the opposing side -- at least for now -- because of what might be the social consequences of it.

It seems to lead to rich old men monopolizing the supply of women, leaving many younger, less well established men without partners. In turn that seems to have a number of undesirable social consequences.

I would be very concerned that more research be done on that before I would enthusiastically support polygyny.

Axe Elf

Prophet
It should not be legal, because having to endure one wife is bad enough; no man should be forced into the cruel and unusual punishment of having more than one.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Welcome to the polygyny debate. Polygyny is defined as a man having more than one wife.

I am not supposed to answer this. Tomorrow in EU they will vote for Marrakesh and then you can be put in jail if you criticize Islam, from what I understood.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not allowed to answer this. Tomorrow in EU they will vote for Marrakesh and then you can be put in jail if you criticize Islam, from what I understood.
This has nothing to do with Islam.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I would imagine most atheists will be against polygyny, just on the grounds that it was condoned (2 Samuel 12:8) and in some cases commanded (Deuteronomy 25:5) by God.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In my view, if you want to create a true patriarchal society let men have more than one wife. I am against it because you simply cannot serve two masters (wives).

If one has two wives they can have the dishes and laundry done at the same time!
Have 3, you get a sandwich thrown in too!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I only support monogamous marriage. I draw the line at gay marriage. Plural marriage would require our laws to be completely overhauled to deal with children, inheritance, estates, divorce, etc. It would be a nightmare. That's not even getting into the social consequences. Polygamous societies are more violent and less stable according to studies. Women and children fare less better. Monogamous marriage was a boon for the rights of women since it promotes more equality between the spouses. I also think polygamy is morally inferior to monogamy because instead of one person as a life partner to grow old with, you have any number of people who you have to ration out your romantic and sexual love for. Romantic relationships take time and effort. One person is daunting enough, but multiple??? There's usually a primary partner and secondary ones. There's a system of favoritism. Someone is going to have to be satisfied with less and I don't think that's fair.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
In my view, if you want to create a true patriarchal society let men have more than one wife. I am against it because you simply cannot serve two masters (wives).
Have 3, you get a sandwich thrown in too!

5 and a pipe and slippers, I'm not going to 6 it would go into the gutter.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I only support monogamous marriage. I draw the line at gay marriage. Plural marriage would require our laws to be completely overhauled to deal with children, inheritance, estates, divorce, etc. It would be a nightmare. That's not even getting into the social consequences. Polygamous societies are more violent and less stable according to studies. Women and children fare less better. Monogamous marriage was a boon for the rights of women since it promotes more equality between the spouses. I also think polygamy is morally inferior to monogamy because instead of one person as a life partner to grow old with, you with any number of people who you have to ration out your romantic and sexual love for. There's usually a primary partner and secondary ones. There's a system of favoritism. Someone is going to have be satisfied with less and I don't think that's fair.
Thank you for summing up what I couldn't figure out to say.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So, we have two topics that have been debated to death: abortion and same-sex marriage. As these are beaten horses at this point, I've decided to start a thread on a debate that crops up somewhat, but not particularly often.

@Saint Frankenstein @Shiranui117 @Deeje @RabbiO @SalixIncendium @Sunstone @icehorse @Ellen Brown

I do not consider it a matter of agreeing nor disagreeing. It is matter of should it be allowed legally and socially in society. I will take the side that polygyny should be allowed legally and socially.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Legal? I do not think that we should make illegal polygyny or polyandry. I do not think we should incentivize such relationships. But consenting adults shpuld be free to contract for their relationships.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It's interesting that I was called to this debate, given I don't even believe in marriage.

But I digress. While I feel humans were not meant remain monogamous for life, given the fact that the females are marginally the gender minority, it doesn't make sense to me that either gender should have more than one committed partner at any given time.

David T

Premium Member

e3d49-polygamy_2.jpg

David T

Premium Member
It's interesting that I was called to this debate, given I don't even believe in marriage.

But I digress. While I feel humans were not meant remain monogamous for life, given the fact that the females are marginally the gender minority, it doesn't make sense to me that either gender should have more than one committed partner at any given time.
How about multuple cheating partners in multiple relationships? I think they call it polyamorous.