• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The dangers of science philosophy to the enviroment.

David T

Premium Member
I just found this post and find it interesting. It would have been interesting for him to describe the split in the western view of our world with the differentiation of Arcadian Ecology and Imperial Ecology in the early eighteenth Century. Gilbert White endorsed the view of Arcadian ecology advocating for a harmonious relationship with humans and nature as described in his book “Natural history of Selbourne”. The opposite Francis Bacon’s Imperial Ecology who proposed the exercise of reason and by hard work, man’s dominance over nature and Donald Worster with his “Nature's Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas” where he argues for the Imperial ecology as a counterpoint to Arcadian ecology. They were both viable views until Carl Linnaeus’s gave his support of the imperial ecology view which became the dominant view which has carried through so much of science history.

The alternate philosophy however was expressed later by Alexander von Humboldt who combined both the precision of the developing science with the sensory “Artistic” view to develop his view of a complete science. He saw the patterns that now lay the fundamentals of Ecology both with an analytical approach as well as the sensory approach which was shared by those blended the romance movement with science. Thus, an alternative way of viewing our world using scientific method but also using our senses/feelings about the subject has been used in our western scientific past. I think we would not be in such a dire state of existence with our world if we had not paid more attention to this view.
Well we are clearly in agreement and i am extremely familiar with all the characters you have quoted.

David abram has challenged our scholarly interpretation of animism. I just wonder if at some point that topic becomes a bit jane goodalled so to speak. Where suddenly the collective perceptions shift.

Animism isnt so much a belief but expression is how pre literate cultures experience. Thats an extremely difficult thing to convey clearly into modern culture.

I did find it Interesting recently in a ken ham ark debate that extremely harsh atheists here on rf revolted when i said noahs ark story is a pre literate story probably dating back 12 20kYears ago. They panicked like church folks!!! Since if that is true then it is impossible to understand from a modern literate perspective. These things progress along lime music from expressed to eventually being recorded starting in the early 20th century.

Notice i start to roll back into art. That to me is a very very important topic not subject to philosophy itself. Bit a few philosophers were artists! Most are dull.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I just found this post and find it interesting. It would have been interesting for him to describe the split in the western view of our world with the differentiation of Arcadian Ecology and Imperial Ecology in the early eighteenth Century. Gilbert White endorsed the view of Arcadian ecology advocating for a harmonious relationship with humans and nature as described in his book “Natural history of Selbourne”. The opposite Francis Bacon’s Imperial Ecology who proposed the exercise of reason and by hard work, man’s dominance over nature and Donald Worster with his “Nature's Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas” where he argues for the Imperial ecology as a counterpoint to Arcadian ecology. They were both viable views until Carl Linnaeus’s gave his support of the imperial ecology view which became the dominant view which has carried through so much of science history.

The alternate philosophy however was expressed later by Alexander von Humboldt who combined both the precision of the developing science with the sensory “Artistic” view to develop his view of a complete science. He saw the patterns that now lay the fundamentals of Ecology both with an analytical approach as well as the sensory approach which was shared by those blended the romance movement with science. Thus, an alternative way of viewing our world using scientific method but also using our senses/feelings about the subject has been used in our western scientific past. I think we would not be in such a dire state of existence with our world if we had not paid more attention to this view.
Interesting to contrast these two views.

However it is the bible, not science, that first articulates the "imperial" view of ecology, Man being set up to have dominion over nature. Bacon saw the nascent science taking shape at the time as helping to restore that dominion which was perceived to have been lost at the Fall. So it's an ancient religious idea.

As for today, it is now science that is in the vanguard of persuading society to live more in harmony with nature cf. climate change, conservation, etc.

Bear Wild

Well we are clearly in agreement and i am extremely familiar with all the characters you have quoted.

David abram has challenged our scholarly interpretation of animism. I just wonder if at some point that topic becomes a bit jane goodalled so to speak. Where suddenly the collective perceptions shift.

Animism isnt so much a belief but expression is how pre literate cultures experience. Thats an extremely difficult thing to convey clearly into modern culture.

I did find it Interesting recently in a ken ham ark debate that extremely harsh atheists here on rf revolted when i said noahs ark story is a pre literate story probably dating back 12 20kYears ago. They panicked like church folks!!! Since if that is true then it is impossible to understand from a modern literate perspective. These things progress along lime music from expressed to eventually being recorded starting in the early 20th century.

Notice i start to roll back into art. That to me is a very very important topic not subject to philosophy itself. Bit a few philosophers were artists! Most are dull.

My education was in the mathematical dominant study in science but I believe the study of the natural world can be described in multiple languages including the mathematical, the descriptive languages and the artistic in both word and art. Each has its unique view yet can be integrated when open to that view. It is no surprise That the origins of the study of Ecology were viewed this way because of its complexity.

Between the late 18th to the early 19th centuries the development of romanticism in science as an alternative view from the purely imperialistic and reductionist science which became the predominant approach. This was a reaction to the Enlightenment view with its reductionist mathematical approach as the only way to define nature and control nature. The romantic movement felt this limits our understanding nature and countered that man needed to coexist with nature rather than control it.

Our current scientific community focuses on the mathematical explanations which leads to designing experiments reducing the variables to get better mathematical predictions. But we also know the more we manipulate the conditions the less it reflects what we are studying.

Enlightenment, required the information of knowledge to dissect the world into its smaller and smaller categories known as reductionism in order to understand every aspect of nature. Romanticism had an alternative view that the unity of man and nature and that science should not cause the division of nature and man. Their approach was still based observation of facts and careful experimentation but without being too controlling.

Johann Goethe’s talked about flashes of insight as essential to gaining knowledge. Although careful measurement and mathematical approaches are certainly important to our scientific knowledge there is also other nonmathematical approaches of understanding that are also important and not as emphasized in the scientific academic world. This reminds me of what I read on Dalton who spent years measuring weather readings with no direction yet came up with the insight of the concept of the atom. This idea was not from careful measurement even though careful measurement proved his ideas was basically correct readjusted as new measurements refined and changed the idea. Alexander Humboldt enthusiastically took careful measurements but it was his feeling of connection with the land and general observations which developed his important understanding of the unity of the land and its interaction with the different physical elements. Darwin and Wallace both detailed observations yet the concept of evolution for both of them was not through reductionism but through recognizing larger patterns.

It is interesting that Humboldt despite his fame in the past has been almost forgotten except for those who remind us that he predicted so accurately that what we were doing to our environment would ultimately prove to be so true today.

Animism whether symbolic or in actual belief is one that reminds us that we live in a world of equally important life and physical aspects that deserve the same respect we have for other humans. I found a nice recent book describing this “Braiding Sweetgrass” by Robin Wall Kimmerer who describes blending animistic beliefs with her career as a botanist.

I found this quote from Donald Crosby who is a proponent of religious naturalism interesting - “Natural scientists can no longer lay claim to objectivity but rather that the objectivity of their findings can no longer be regarded as absolute and must be reinterpreted in a manner consistent with recent awakenings to fallibilistic character of science ant to the sometimes startlingly abrupt, unpredictable changes in its basic theories. It is no longer plausible to view science as the sole guardian of objectivity or as the exclusive source of reliable knowledge. The objectivity of particle physics is different from taxonomic biology. Poets and painters can tell us things about the complexity, diversity, and fullness of our experiences of nature that physicists cannot and these can be essential things to take into account in our thinking of nature.”

Bear Wild

Interesting to contrast these two views.

However it is the bible, not science, that first articulates the "imperial" view of ecology, Man being set up to have dominion over nature. Bacon saw the nascent science taking shape at the time as helping to restore that dominion which was perceived to have been lost at the Fall. So it's an ancient religious idea.

As for today, it is now science that is in the vanguard of persuading society to live more in harmony with nature cf. climate change, conservation, etc.

I do not disagree with you as to the beginning. There were other religious views without that imperial view but for us we are still suffering from that Imperial view which predominated in the western world. I just mentioned that there was a temporary alternative view which was unfortunately lost as science progressed and some of those so famous such has Humboldt were for the most part forgotten except for their influence on so many people in science such as Darwin. I only hope we can convince the people in time to live in harmony with our non-human relations before it is truly too late.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I do not disagree with you as to the beginning. There were other religious views without that imperial view but for us we are still suffering from that Imperial view which predominated in the western world. I just mentioned that there was a temporary alternative view which was unfortunately lost as science progressed and some of those so famous such has Humboldt were for the most part forgotten except for their influence on so many people in science such as Darwin. I only hope we can convince the people in time to live in harmony with our non-human relations before it is truly too late.
Fair enough.

It seems to me the paradox is that while nature was more powerful than Man, the dominant idea was that Man should dominate nature. Now that Man really is starting to dominate nature we are realising, finally, that we have to live in harmony with it. Science has played the leading role in both the domination and the subsequent process of enlightenment.

David T

Premium Member
My education was in the mathematical dominant study in science but I believe the study of the natural world can be described in multiple languages including the mathematical, the descriptive languages and the artistic in both word and art. Each has its unique view yet can be integrated when open to that view. It is no surprise That the origins of the study of Ecology were viewed this way because of its complexity.

Between the late 18th to the early 19th centuries the development of romanticism in science as an alternative view from the purely imperialistic and reductionist science which became the predominant approach. This was a reaction to the Enlightenment view with its reductionist mathematical approach as the only way to define nature and control nature. The romantic movement felt this limits our understanding nature and countered that man needed to coexist with nature rather than control it.

Our current scientific community focuses on the mathematical explanations which leads to designing experiments reducing the variables to get better mathematical predictions. But we also know the more we manipulate the conditions the less it reflects what we are studying.

Enlightenment, required the information of knowledge to dissect the world into its smaller and smaller categories known as reductionism in order to understand every aspect of nature. Romanticism had an alternative view that the unity of man and nature and that science should not cause the division of nature and man. Their approach was still based observation of facts and careful experimentation but without being too controlling.

Johann Goethe’s talked about flashes of insight as essential to gaining knowledge. Although careful measurement and mathematical approaches are certainly important to our scientific knowledge there is also other nonmathematical approaches of understanding that are also important and not as emphasized in the scientific academic world. This reminds me of what I read on Dalton who spent years measuring weather readings with no direction yet came up with the insight of the concept of the atom. This idea was not from careful measurement even though careful measurement proved his ideas was basically correct readjusted as new measurements refined and changed the idea. Alexander Humboldt enthusiastically took careful measurements but it was his feeling of connection with the land and general observations which developed his important understanding of the unity of the land and its interaction with the different physical elements. Darwin and Wallace both detailed observations yet the concept of evolution for both of them was not through reductionism but through recognizing larger patterns.

It is interesting that Humboldt despite his fame in the past has been almost forgotten except for those who remind us that he predicted so accurately that what we were doing to our environment would ultimately prove to be so true today.

Animism whether symbolic or in actual belief is one that reminds us that we live in a world of equally important life and physical aspects that deserve the same respect we have for other humans. I found a nice recent book describing this “Braiding Sweetgrass” by Robin Wall Kimmerer who describes blending animistic beliefs with her career as a botanist.

I found this quote from Donald Crosby who is a proponent of religious naturalism interesting - “Natural scientists can no longer lay claim to objectivity but rather that the objectivity of their findings can no longer be regarded as absolute and must be reinterpreted in a manner consistent with recent awakenings to fallibilistic character of science ant to the sometimes startlingly abrupt, unpredictable changes in its basic theories. It is no longer plausible to view science as the sole guardian of objectivity or as the exclusive source of reliable knowledge. The objectivity of particle physics is different from taxonomic biology. Poets and painters can tell us things about the complexity, diversity, and fullness of our experiences of nature that physicists cannot and these can be essential things to take into account in our thinking of nature.”
Totally preaching to the choir my friend. Nature is objective unto itself.. Itd not us being objective because . We are subject subjective to it. its big we are little. When that is ignoted it becomes small and we become. Very. Large

You quoted goethe. In around 1805 he wrote "theory of colour.". "i have a copy and in the intro he goes off the rails. I had to contemplate why he would do that but he is an artist and it actually made sense. He really is saying hey we are emotional beings not just tool using unemotional reasoned rational intellectual giants. Our emotions effect how we see the world heavily. Our tools we create to measure the world effect. The outcomes and can be very biased and very self affirming..

.Science is most certainly not literally independent of that no matter what. I also am a huge jane goodall fan she did something rather remarkable, In The early 1960s and did it "scientifically" she rocks.. The same attempt. Was made in what was called the "nature faker" conteoversy at the turn of the 20th century blasted by religion and sciemce. Jane does the samething 60 some years later all is good.. So timing always is important!

Animism can be undersrood as belielf i understand Is as experience.. I could articulate How i experience, someone could read what i wrote and go "he believes xyz.." thats identical to me eating an orange comminicating it and someone goes "he believes the orange is sweet" ....

At that point i gravitate to music beer and hiking.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

How does philosophy apply with science?

The closest person I could think of that was philosophical as a scientist was Carl Sagan. I think he kept the two separate though and made the distinctions between philosophy and practiced science.

There is a philosophy of science actually.

The anthropocene epoch is 99% a science generated issue. It is not an.issue.created by dimwits misreading ancient esoteric bronze age poetry or the bible in lay terms it's a science created phenomena a science.issue.

Dr Steven Hardy lays out nicely The early development of modern western Science philosophy as extremely problematic.

It isn't the rationality of science that has caused the issues he speaks about. It is the irrational use of the knowledge gained by the use of science.

Bear Wild

Totally preaching to the choir my friend. Nature is objective unto itself.. Itd not us being objective because . We are subject subjective to it. its big we are little. When that is ignoted it becomes small and we become. Very. Large

You quoted goethe. In around 1805 he wrote "theory of colour.". "i have a copy and in the intro he goes off the rails. I had to contemplate why he would do that but he is an artist and it actually made sense. He really is saying hey we are emotional beings not just tool using unemotional reasoned rational intellectual giants. Our emotions effect how we see the world heavily. Our tools we create to measure the world effect. The outcomes and can be very biased and very self affirming..

.Science is most certainly not literally independent of that no matter what. I also am a huge jane goodall fan she did something rather remarkable, In The early 1960s and did it "scientifically" she rocks.. The same attempt. Was made in what was called the "nature faker" conteoversy at the turn of the 20th century blasted by religion and sciemce. Jane does the samething 60 some years later all is good.. So timing always is important!

Animism can be undersrood as belielf i understand Is as experience.. I could articulate How i experience, someone could read what i wrote and go "he believes xyz.." thats identical to me eating an orange comminicating it and someone goes "he believes the orange is sweet" ....

At that point i gravitate to music beer and hiking.
So nice to hear. We have so much to learn. Just hope we have the time to learn it.

Bear Wild

It isn't the rationality of science that has caused the issues he speaks about. It is the irrational use of the knowledge gained by the use of science.
I don't disagree with you, it is just we need as a member of this world to reevaluate how we see our world with the reality that exists and participate as a member and not as and owner. We are a part of nature and not separate. The illusion of a supranatural being has caused us to not take responsibility for our actions. We cannot live without our natural world so we need to live with respect and preserve the world we share. Thanks for the input.

David T

Premium Member

Is science itself pjenomenology or is it independent from, Phenomenology? If science is not phenomological then "philosphy of science" makes sense. If it is then "philosophy of science" is theology in lab coat drag.

So are you proposing science is literally independent from being phenomology?

Milton Platt

Is science itself pjenomenology or is it independent from, Phenomenology? If science is not phenomological then "philosphy of science" makes sense. If it is then "philosophy of science" is theology in lab coat drag.

So are you proposing science is literally independent from being phenomology?

Found this in an article from someone who works in the field of the philosophy of science: philosophy of science is aimed at answering different questions than the working scientist is trying to answer. The goal of philosophy of science is not to answer scientific questions, but to answer questions about science.

Looked up phenomenology on several sources and got a range of definitions, a couple of them not very intelligible. What definition are you favoring?

David T

Premium Member

Found this in an article from someone who works in the field of the philosophy of science: philosophy of science is aimed at answering different questions than the working scientist is trying to answer. The goal of philosophy of science is not to answer scientific questions, but to answer questions about science.

Looked up phenomenology on several sources and got a range of definitions, a couple of them not very intelligible. What definition are you favoring?
AnD in there lays the problem.. Even the word phenomenogy is Not clear and yet science is about phenomenology.

Interestingly you gave a perfect example of theology In that it is not the actually the text but a intellectual conceptualizing philosophical field over 2,000 years in context to christianity.

Richard feynman had the good sense to disregard philosophy of science it is not science. But hey philosophy is like a lots of fields bad pop music is all.

Most of philosophy today like theology is born out of fat asses sitting in an prof. office writing so they can get published tenured and teach philosophy. Its nonsense. Bad art mostly.

Last edited: