• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The compassionate Pope

blue taylor

You people have NOTHING, Deeje used 10 scriptures from bible to make her point, you 2 have used, ....hummmmm.....NOTHING ! If you want to be the least bit credible, you boys are going to have to do way better than that, but we have come to expect that out of about 80 % of people affiliated with christendoms churches. Since you dont know your bible very well, there is a book written by a proffesor of Religious History at Baylor University in texas, named Phillip Jenkens,who is very well known in the scholarly community. He has written quite a few books, and has been on a number of talk and radio shows. He wrote a book entitled "The Great and Holy war, how WW I changed religion forever" . He has much to say about christendoms role in war that you fellas probably wont like hearing, if you want i could quote you a few things that would back up Deeje very nicely, since you think we are just blowing smoke up your backside. Would you ACCEPT THAT ? Let me know, i will give you pg. Number and paragraph, so you wont think i am making this up. Or, better yet, go buy a copy, at amazon.com He exposes christendoms bloodthirsty backing of of the war, and HOW they actually HELPED promote it ! Let me know fellas, be happy to quote it for you, word for word. BTW, he has absolutely no affiliation with JWs, are you game ?

You people have NOTHING, Deeje used 10 scriptures from bible to make her point, you 2 have used, ....hummmmm.....NOTHING ! If you want to be the least bit credible, you boys are going to have to do way better than that, but we have come to expect that out of about 80 % of people affiliated with christendoms churches. Since you dont know your bible very well, there is a book written by a proffesor of Religious History at Baylor University in texas, named Phillip Jenkens,who is very well known in the scholarly community. He has written quite a few books, and has been on a number of talk and radio shows. He wrote a book entitled "The Great and Holy war, how WW I changed religion forever" . He has much to say about christendoms role in war that you fellas probably wont like hearing, if you want i could quote you a few things that would back up Deeje very nicely, since you think we are just blowing smoke up your backside. Would you ACCEPT THAT ? Let me know, i will give you pg. Number and paragraph, so you wont think i am making this up. Or, better yet, go buy a copy, at amazon.com He exposes christendoms bloodthirsty backing of of the war, and HOW they actually HELPED promote it ! Let me know fellas, be happy to quote it for you, word for word. BTW, he has absolutely no affiliation with JWs, are you game ?

"research of cases over the past twenty years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denomination (that means JW's too) —or indeed, than non-clergy. However determined, news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported." - Philip Jenkins

"the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible" -Philip Jenkins

I will have to agree with him. He's your expert.

David1967

Premium Member
It's not likely that the poster that opened this thread actually hijacked it by trying to keep it on topic, instead of making it about someone else's denomination trying to show themselves as being in the know about what God really thinks and wants.

I suppose it would anger people who are dedicated to rejecting the world to see an OP expressing hope for it.

That Is what I had hoped for in this thread. Whether or not a person supports the Catholic church has nothing to do with why I started this thread. If it had been a leading Buddhist or Hindu or any other religious leader showing compassion for those refugees of a different faith I would have started this thread just the same. He showed them kindness. I don't know his heart. That Is between him and his God. What he did was nice and that is why I started this thread. Thats all. Thank you 4consideration.

blue taylor

On topic, if the pope were really compassionate he and his hierarchy should stop living like kings and live in poverty like Jesus said they should. All that extra money could help a lot of really desperate people with no hope, gain a foothold in life. But unfortunately most of them are of the wrong faith. The parable of the good Samaritan means nothing to him.

David1967

Premium Member
On topic, if the pope were really compassionate he and his hierarchy should stop living like kings and live in poverty like Jesus said they should. All that extra money could help a lot of really desperate people with no hope, gain a foothold in life. But unfortunately most of them are of the wrong faith. The parable of the good Samaritan means nothing to him.

You make some valid points. Thank you for keeping it on topic.

kerndog

"research of cases over the past twenty years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denomination (that means JW's too) —or indeed, than non-clergy. However determined, news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported." - Philip Jenkins

"the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible" -Philip Jenkins

I will have to agree with him. He's your expert.
Pg.66 , 2nd paragraph, "Generally, when religius leaders had a primary idetification with a state - as most did - they not only abanoned words of peace and reconciliation, but advocated strident doctrines of holy war and crusade, DIRECTED AGAINST FELLOW CHRISTIANS"....Pg. 67, "But while we might expect clergy to support their nations at war, in practice they went far beyond any simple endorsement and became vocal, even fanatical, advocates. Often they presented sophisticated arguments for holy warfare, which drew heavily on both biblical tradition and christian history"........will provide more later, time for bed !

blue taylor

Pg.66 , 2nd paragraph, "Generally, when religius leaders had a primary idetification with a state - as most did - they not only abanoned words of peace and reconciliation, but advocated strident doctrines of holy war and crusade, DIRECTED AGAINST FELLOW CHRISTIANS"....Pg. 67, "But while we might expect clergy to support their nations at war, in practice they went far beyond any simple endorsement and became vocal, even fanatical, advocates. Often they presented sophisticated arguments for holy warfare, which drew heavily on both biblical tradition and christian history"........will provide more later, time for bed !
That has nothing to do with my post.

4consideration

Premium Member
That Is what I had hoped for in this thread. Whether or not a person supports the Catholic church has nothing to do with why I started this thread. If it had been a leading Buddhist or Hindu or any other religious leader showing compassion for those refugees of a different faith I would have started this thread just the same. He showed them kindness. I don't know his heart. That Is between him and his God. What he did was nice and that is why I started this thread. Thats all. Thank you 4consideration.
That was how I viewed the thread. I thought it was nice to see an expression and recognition of something to appreciate. :)

kerndog

That has nothing to do with my post.
Unless I am misunderstanding you, your made no sense to me as to what I was discussing, Quran ? who was discussing the Quran ?....Maybe you should read the book, Islam was part of this war too, and they DID commit atrocities on the Armenians, (the turks were Islamic, and so were their leaders, Pg. 287,under the chapter entitled "Genocide"

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Looks like this thread has been successfully hijacked. Watchtowers, numerous failed prophesies and miracle wheat anyone?

None of that is actually true.....just twisted half truths, which are worse than lies....but don't let that spoil your party.

I have given an opinion on the "compassion" of the Pope as not a true act of compassion at all, but a fairly meaningless gesture designed to make the church look good at a time when most people think it stinks...including a lot of disillusioned Catholic people.I know because we meet them in our preaching work. They are ashamed of their church.

There are other more meaningful ways to help if he really wants to.