• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee House - the UU Fellowship Thread

J Bryson

A quick question, as this seems to be the "General questions and comments regarding UU that don't really call for their own thread" thread (and please correct me if I'm wrong).

I currently reside in Pasadena, CA. There are two churches within walking distance of me. I attended Throop Memorial last Sunday and greatly enjoyed both the service and the community. The other one, Neighborhood Church, is a bit farther and a bit larger, meaning that they probably have more resources for a beginning Unitarian Universalist, but also are less convenient. Besides, the Throop crowd was welcoming and compassionate. The only controversy that I could find online having to do with either church had to do with a suggested merger between them many years ago, but it looks like the people responsible for the issues are long gone. I've therefore decided to stick with Throop for now, but I'm keeping my options open.

The question: Does anyone here have any experience with either of these churches, and if so, what were they? Did you feel that your specific needs were adequately served?

J Bryson

Thanks for the response!

I was considering checking out the other one. However, my last experience with a UU church was in San Diego in the late 90s, at a larger congregation, much like I understand Neighborhood Church to be. I loved the sermon that I heard and everyone seemed very friendly and open. However, due to the size of the church, it didn't have that tight community feeling that I was looking for, and the minister, while certainly kind and compassionate, only had so much of himself to go around. I prefer a smaller setting and more intimate community. Throop seems to provide these things, so I'm thinking that I'll return. If anyone had anything absolutely wonderful to say about Neighborhood Church, I would have checked it out, but I'm going to stick with what works for now.

Besides, one of the people there said he was bringing some books for me next Sunday, so I'd kind of hate to not show up.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I currently reside in Pasadena, CA. There are two churches within walking distance of me. I attended Throop Memorial last Sunday and greatly enjoyed both the service and the community. The other one, Neighborhood Church, is a bit farther and a bit larger, meaning that they probably have more resources for a beginning Unitarian Universalist, but also are less convenient. Besides, the Throop crowd was welcoming and compassionate. The only controversy that I could find online having to do with either church had to do with a suggested merger between them many years ago, but it looks like the people responsible for the issues are long gone. I've therefore decided to stick with Throop for now, but I'm keeping my options open.

The question: Does anyone here have any experience with either of these churches, and if so, what were they? Did you feel that your specific needs were adequately served?
I have never been a congregant of either church but am friends with the minister of Throop and a couple of its members. I love Rev Grubbs and my friends and can't see why anyone would want to go elsewhere if one lived in Pasadena. :) However, another friend of mine was a member of Neighborhood for years before moving away and she also loved her church. Soo... :)

Just a comment tho: I would not assume that just because Neighborhood is bigger that means they would be better for a new UU. They may or may not. Bigger congregations may have more resources but sometimes the smaller congregations are more accessible. My own church, All Souls, is pretty big, and even tho we have lots of resources and make a concerted effort to be welcoming, I've heard more than once from people that they found the church to be overwhelming and intimidating as newbies. Obviously they stuck with us or else they would not be around to tell the tale, and we are thriving so we must be doing something right. But smaller congregations have their unique gifts too.

Edit:
Ooops, I just saw your subsequent post, so you already know. :eek:

Last edited:

J Bryson

I went back to Throop yesterday. Arrived about forty-five minutes before the service and saw Rev. Grubbs waiting outside. I asked if I could help. When I've asked that question in other communities and social situations, I generally get some polite variation on "Yes, please sit down and stay out of the way while other people work." Instead, he set me to work alphabetizing name tags, then pressed me into service as a greeter. So there I was, my second week at church, and I'm suddenly welcoming everyone else to the service.

The sermon was on Darwin. Obviously quite pro-evolution, sympathetic towards the concept of ID but stating quite clearly that this was a theological theory rather than a scientific one. Nice story, nice speech from a lady stating why she loves Throop Church.

Then it was time for the post-service lunch. I walked near the kitchen and again innocently asked how I could help. I found myself dragged into the kitchen by several firm but polite women who plopped me in front of a range and told me to fry some breaded eggplant cutlets. Done. I ate, then attended the introductory class.

The class was enjoyable. Led (as much as anything can be led in our faith) by the Reverend, it entailed a discussion of Unitarian Universalist principles, a spirited give-and-take regarding differing interpretations of said principles, and a video that gave some historical and cultural perspective regarding Unitarian and Universalist beliefs.

At the end of the video, Rev. Grubbs gently asked if anyone wanted to sign the membership book yet. For a couple of seconds, I thought about it: No, I hadn't checked out Neighborhood Church yet, but I didn't really see the point. I'd only attended two services, but I'd been studying the belief system for years, and was in sympathy with the faith even before I knew that it existed. Finally, and most importantly, I felt like I was at home from the moment that I walked in the door. Sure, Neighborhood may have much to offer me, but I feel like I have more to offer to Throop Church.

I raised my hand and signed. Rev. Grubbs didn't look surprised when I did so, even though I was the only one.

It's official. I'm a member of the church. It was that easy, and that beautiful.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It sounds like a great church. I'd probably stay there, too. :D

Breaded eggplant cutlets? SO jealous..... :drool:

J Bryson

It really is a great church from what I've seen, and the people seem to be both friendly and enjoyably contentious.

I only got half of one of the cutlets! Got distracted after I got out of the kitchen, and by the time I turned around, they were nearly all gone!

Forgot to mention: They gave me a book only a bit larger than a pamphlet to serve as an introduction to the faith. I'm more of a reader than that, so I shot off to the library right after the services (with much gratitude for Pasadena libraries being open on Sunday) to pick up a copy of "Our Chosen Faith" by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church. Now, that's some good reading.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I went back to Throop yesterday. Arrived about forty-five minutes before the service and saw Rev. Grubbs waiting outside. I asked if I could help. When I've asked that question in other communities and social situations, I generally get some polite variation on "Yes, please sit down and stay out of the way while other people work." Instead, he set me to work alphabetizing name tags, then pressed me into service as a greeter. So there I was, my second week at church, and I'm suddenly welcoming everyone else to the service.
Be careful. They'll have you serving on the board within a month. ;)

Sure, Neighborhood may have much to offer me, but I feel like I have more to offer to Throop Church.
That is what my friend Kathleen said. :) She used to attend Neighborhood but now goes to Throop because she felt she could make more of a difference.

Forgot to mention: They gave me a book only a bit larger than a pamphlet to serve as an introduction to the faith. I'm more of a reader than that, so I shot off to the library right after the services (with much gratitude for Pasadena libraries being open on Sunday) to pick up a copy of "Our Chosen Faith" by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church. Now, that's some good reading.
I got a copy of "Our Chosen Faith" for signing the book. :cool: We now just hand out pamphlets or something, so I lucked out.

It's amazing how different our congregations are with respect to "the book." At All Souls there is the opportunity to sign once a month, after attending both an "Introduction" and an "Orientation." At some other congregations, it's much more casual. And then I heard about a congregation where you have to wait a year! :eek: (That's like telling people, "No, we really don't care whether you join us or not. In fact, we're going to make you wait to enjoy the privilege of being considered one of us.") Personally, I think that there should be a little formality, so that people don't take it lightly. (I don't think you took it lightly. Sometimes one just knows. But I do think that in general people should be encouraged to think about it, because signing the book is a promise to be in relationship with the congregation.)

J Bryson

Be careful. They'll have you serving on the board within a month. ;)

Reminds me of that quote from Alan Moore's Watchmen (imperfectly remembered): "I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me."

That is what my friend Kathleen said. :) She used to attend Neighborhood but now goes to Throop because she felt she could make more of a difference.

Tell her I'm the new guy with the crooked glasses and longish sun-bleached hair, and ask her to say hi.

I got a copy of "Our Chosen Faith" for signing the book. :cool: We now just hand out pamphlets or something, so I lucked out.

See, I knew that I should have done this sooner!

It's amazing how different our congregations are with respect to "the book." At All Souls there is the opportunity to sign once a month, after attending both an "Introduction" and an "Orientation." At some other congregations, it's much more casual. And then I heard about a congregation where you have to wait a year! :eek: (That's like telling people, "No, we really don't care whether you join us or not. In fact, we're going to make you wait to enjoy the privilege of being considered one of us.")

That would be an excellent way to motivate me. To motivate me to check out other churches within the neighborhood, that is.

Personally, I think that there should be a little formality, so that people don't take it lightly. (I don't think you took it lightly. Sometimes one just knows. But I do think that in general people should be encouraged to think about it, because signing the book is a promise to be in relationship with the congregation.)

I agree with that in theory. However, in the case of Throop, I suspect that the smaller congregation size at that church combined with the larger and better-known congregation nearby combine to create a more immediately accepting atmosphere. Basically, I think that if you're at Throop instead of Neighborhood, it means that you really want to be there.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
First Church only does new member enrollment once a month. We have some kind of ceremony, but the classes are optional. I picked up an enrollment packet Sunday morning. I figured, if I'm being called to ministry, joining mght be a good idea, lol.

I hope I get to be in the annual presentation of new members, though. I don't see why not.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
J and I have been talking about Throop Church in Pasadena, CA. Just so everyone knows, even tho it's spelled Throop (with a "th") it's pronounced Troop. The church is named after Amos Throop, the same guy who founded Caltech (formerly known as Throop Polytechnic), where I went to grad school (the first time around). I spent six years in Pasadena and never darkened the door of either Throop or Neighborhood even tho I was furtively looking for spirituality most of my time there. My loss.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Wonderful news. Since First Church announced that the budget shortfall would necessitate closing down for the month of July, an additional $45,000 has been donated. On top of that, an anonymous donor has pledged $50,000 if the congregation matches it within the next month. if we can do that, we should be ok for the year.

applewuud

Throop and Neighborhood had a healthy relationship when I was in California (over 10 years ago). Plenty of people go to things at both. I went to Neighborhood mostly, but liked the classical church architecture of Throop. On the other hand, Neighborhood has a beautiful campus, lots of tall trees, a parish hall built by Greene & Greene. It's inspiring in its own way, I'm glad there are both options.

I think that Throop was originally Universalist, and Neighborhood Unitarian.

And, sometimes feeling the need for my Christian roots, I'd darken the door of All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, a church liberal enough that they got a threat of losing their tax-exempt status when the priest "got too political" in a sermon in 2004.

Oh, now that the 2" of slush that fell yesterday has frozen solid here, you've reminded me of a time in my life when "coffee hour" in February was held outside on the patio with a light jacket on....;)

J Bryson

Heh. Yeah, it's quite a challenge moving from SoCal to...well, just about anywhere else in the world.

One of the people I was talking to during lunch yesterday referred to Throop and Neighborhood as sister churches. I liked that. Each has its own peculiarities and assets, both with something to give to joint projects. And you are right that Throop was originally a Universalist church (which is represented in the stained glass mosaics), but I don't know one way or the other about Neighborhood.

Had an awesome talk with Rev. Clyde yesterday following discussion group. He gave me a long list of books to read if I'm truly interested in UU history and theology. Also, my girlfriend had an idea for a support group that she wanted to start, and he was strongly supportive of the idea when I ran it past him, going so far as to say that he'd help in whatever manner possible.

J Bryson

Please do share.

Freedom Moves West: A History Of The Western Unitarian Conference. This one mostly seems useful for our specific geographical area, though I'm sure that it has fascinating information in general.

Three Prophets Of Religious Liberalism: Channing-Emerson-Parker

A History of Unitarianism.
He told me that it was out of print. I found out just now that it's all printed online! Thanks for inspiring the search, since it sounded like one of the most fascinating works he recommended.

Soul Work: Anti-Racist Theologies In Dialogue
. This seems to be a particular issue for Rev. Clyde, and rightly so.

The Larger Faith: A Short History Of American Universalism

Also, any decent biography of Olympia Browne, who sounds like an amazing person and fascinating character.

He additionally suggested "Up In Flames", but I'm having a hard time finding that one.