• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The birth of Baha'u'llah - November 12th

arthra

Baha'i
November 12th is a Baha'i Holy Day on which Baha'is around the world commemorate the birth of Bhaa'u'llah which occurred in the year 1817 in Teheran, Persia (today Iran). Baha'is observe this day by refraining from work and suspending school and meeting for prayers and fellowship.

Bahá'u'lláh, which means the glory of God in Arabic, was born Mirza Husayn Ali on the second day of the month of Muharram 1233 A.H. (November 12th, 1817), into one of Persia's most noble and privileged families. He was the eldest son of Mírzá Abbás of Núr, a vazír (minister) in the court of Mohammad Shah Qajar. His mother's name was Khadijih

In His early life He had a relatively limited education (which was normal for the class from which He came). He learned horsemanship (He was known as a fine horseman), swordsmanship, poetry and calligraphy (He was also renowned as an excellent poet and calligrapher).

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Happy Birthday of Baha'u'llah!
It was my daughter's 2nd birthday yesterday :)
I'd be interested to know how Baha'is celebrate this day, if they do.

arthra

Baha'i
Happy Birthday of Baha'u'llah!
It was my daughter's 2nd birthday yesterday :)
I'd be interested to know how Baha'is celebrate this day, if they do.

Hello Odion!

Yes indeed Baha'is do celebrate the Birth of Baha'u'llah!

Here's an example:

BAHA'IS MARK THE BIRTH OF BAHA'U'LLAH

SEOUL, South Korea, 11 November 2008 (BWNS) -- The Baha'i center in Seoul was the site of a special program - one of thousands around the world - marking the 191st anniversary of the birth of Baha'u'llah, which occurred on 12 November 1817 in Tehran, Iran.

The anniversary is one of nine holy days during the year on which Baha'is suspend work.

Activities were planned in cities, towns, and villages around the globe, including at Baha'i Houses of Worship, at national and local Baha'i centers, at public facilities, and in private homes.

In Seoul, Baha'is treated their guests to dinner, music, readings, and a special presentation about the holy day.

Considered by His followers to be a Manifestion of God in a line of divine teachers that includes Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Krishna, Buddha and others, Baha'u'llah attracted thousands of followers before His passing in 1892, in Acre in what is now Israel.

Today the Baha'i Faith is established in virtually every country and has about 5 million adherents.

Another interesting thing about the Birth of Baha'u'llah is that it coincides with the Leonid meteor shower..

071116-leonid-meteors_big.jpg

Every year about this time the Leonids are observed ..

The shower of 1833 was particularly strong. People who witnessed the shower thought it was a sign of the end of the world and the return of Christ..

Bahá'u'lláh tells us that such a happening is also to be understood as symbolic of other events associated with the coming of the Manifestation.

The stars that fall, as mentioned in the Gospel, the Qur'án and the Kitáb-i-Íqán have been given two symbolic meanings. Bahá'u'lláh describes one as:

'...the divines of the former Dispensation, who live in the days of the subsequent Revelations, and who hold the reins of religion in their grasp. If these divines be illumined by the light of the latter Revelation they will be acceptable unto God, and will shine with a light everlasting. Otherwise, they will be declared as darkened...'

- Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 36

The Leonid shower was also about the same time as the Birth of Baha'u'llah in Teheran, Persia in 1817..

Steinninn

Viking
We had a little celebration here in Reykjavík. Quote from the scripture was read. A song was sung. We ate and talked.

BruceDLimber

We had quite a bash here in Rockville, Maryland, USA, but I had to miss it to attend the mass-choir rehearsal for next week's annual metro-area Interfaith Concert.

Time well spent! :)

Best,

Bruce