• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible is gay

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The Levitical priesthood was all male. Only a guy could enter the Holy of Holies. The greatest Prophets like Moses, Elijah, Elisha, Jonah, Samuel, Jeremiah, Isaiah, King David, Solomon, Abraham, and beyond, were all men.
"Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church." (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)
"Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression." (1 Timothy 2:11-14)
The minor miracle of Queen Esther,( which barely qualifies as a miracle from a scientific standpoint), is the closest thing I can think of to an exception to the rule regarding non-male sign and wonder workers.To each their own, just don't abide by the aversion for females that the Bible promotes.
Do you have a contribution to this topic?

Interesting post. Many topics. I just start with "why Bible is so female unfriendly"?
My Master has declared that women are more spiritual than men. Not once, but many times. They have more divine attributes than men.
Of course if women say that is not true, what can I do? But from very young age I always wanted to be around girls. They were just nicer.

Two possibilities:
A) My Master was wrong, and men are more spiritual. Then it makes sense that the Bible is written in such a female unfriendly way
B) My Master was right, and women are more spiritual. Then to me it is obvious that the Bible is not 100% the book of God. More feels like "man controlled cult".

Anyway, according to the Bible God is all about Love (first 2 and most important Commandments). How then to explain such a female unfriendly Bible version?

Whichever way I look at this, it does not make sense to believe that the Bible is 100% the word of God; seen from this POV
And that so many women accept this "female unfriendly Bible" is a big mystery to me. Maybe they like to be taken care of by a man.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But I'm right.being gay is a really bad sin.
How do you arrive at that conclusion? Did someone tell you? Did you read it in some religious literature somewhere? Because the Bible certainly never, ever says, “Being gay is a really bad sin.”

Faithofchristian

It’s not really the translation that’s wholly responsible; it’s also context. “Don’t talk during the sermon, swapping gossip” in the culture of the writer is far different from today’s women not being allowed to preach, teach, or speak their minds.

As to where do you think they get that from, women not being allowed to preach, teach, or speak their minds ?
Why of course right out of
1 Corinthians 14:34-35
1 Timothy 2:11-14.

But you have to remember that back 300 years ago, they didn't have the necessary documents or tools to do Translations with. As we have today.
So it does make all the difference.
What a people have and don't have.

You can not stop a flooding river by throwing a brick in it.
But you can if you have the necessary tools to build a brick wall with.

sojourner

yes it says it is a sin. I read my bible
Nope. The Bible never, ever uses the term “homosexual.” Ever. I’ll see your “I read my Bible” and raise you an “I’ve studied the texts professionally for more than 15 years.” Do you read Greek? Or Hebrew? Those are the languages you need in order to determine “what the Bible says.” Have you any experience with biblical anthropology, to study the cultures out of which the texts came?

Musicfan

The bible is true. And why do you think God destroy sodam and gamora. He don't approve gays and lesbians and trans. He will destroy them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I always thought that 'Aspies' were emotionally blunted.
It's better and more accurate to think of us as Vulcans. We are not emotionally stunted or blunted, and rather are known for having incredibly deep and powerful emotions, but we don't show them often because it tends to cause us problems because neurotypicals don't know how to handle us. It's typically those we are very close to who get to see how emotional and sensitive we can be.
It's also extremely common for us to have social problems (not just with socializing, but that we are often targets for bullying, especially when school aged), and when you add that on top of being very introverted, we often don't "show ourselves" to the world as a defense mechanism.

He says the first thing that comes to his mind regardless of how insulting it might be, and then has no idea why people become offended by him.
We are typically blunt and honest. It's not our problem if honesty is touted as a virtue and then people can't handle it when we spit it out.
He has no empathy or ability to feel much of anything.
It's unfortunate you feel this way. We may have to take detours for empathy, but we can be very passionate and extremely enthusiastic about things.
Your behavior is entirely your business.....nothing to do with me.
Then why do you keep bringing up god? If it had nothing to do with you, you would mind your own business instead of parroting the warnings the Bible says.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes it is. You can all think that. But I'm right.being gay is a really bad sin. So if you want to be that then you will never see light of day.
I couldn't see the light in anything when I worshiped Jehovah. I get your mindset, because I was there once, but it was only in hindsight was I able to realize how incredibly arrogant such thinking is. You say we'll never see the light of day, but for LGBT youth in a Conservative environment the world they know (and that I myself knew) is blacker than pitch, an emotional state that is comparable to a black hole, and it's very damaging emotionally and psychologically to point of being traumatic.
Try to wrap your head around this, if you can, loving god with all of your very being, but being so utterly afraid just because of who you are that night after night you cry yourself to sleep and have nightmares of Hell that are so vivid you can feel the fires burning your flesh.
Myself, it was give up god or give up my life. Obviously I gave up god, and ever since I haven't even had any fire starting behaviors, I haven't made any bombs since, and I've had no urges to be destructive for the sake of destruction and taking out my own anger, frustrations, and depression out on whatever random thing.

sojourner

The bible is true. And why do you think God destroy sodam and gamora. He don't approve gays and lesbians and trans. He will destroy them.
<very patiently> Nooo, that’s not why Sodom was destroyed. The “sin of Sodom” was lack of hospitality, not homosexuality. See Ezekiel 16 (I thought you read your Bible?)

sojourner

Nope. You keep saying this, and I keep pointing out that the Bible patently Does. Not. Say. This. But one thing the Bible does speak out against is undue judgment against one’s neighbor.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I call bull spit. It’s not a “misuse of reproductive organs.” Making babies with someone other than your spouse is a misuse of sexual organs. The act is a healthy expression of one’s sexuality.

Making babies is supposed to be a natural consequence of sexual intercourse. Doesn't nature teach you this? If one identifies as a Christian, then becoming "one flesh" with our life partner of choice in scriptural marriage is the standard set by the Creator. You want to argue with him? Go right ahead.

If this "healthy expression of one's sexuality" results in a loss of health and even death (as in STD's like AIDS) then how "healthy" can it be?

Sexual perversion is as old as man is.....IMO it insults the Creator to treat the transmission of life as something like an unfortunate by product of our sex life.
Nature teaches us that its primary function is to produce offspring....the fact that it is pleasurable is a bonus, ensuring that the mandate given to all living things to "fill the earth with their kind" would not be a chore. The place of sex in the lives of humans has dominated their thinking to the point of depravity becoming almost "normal". That puts us on the level of hormonally driven, unreasoning animals. That is not how God created us. We are supposed to be a higher creation, but you'd never know it by our actions.

No one said that we humans have to treat sex as only for reproduction, but the Bible does say that sexual activity is only for those in a committed scriptural marriage. That way, if sex produces children, they are ideally born into a family with the balance of both parents.

You had me here:
And then you made this crappy statement and ruined it:

If stating the Bible's reasonable explanation for why we are all imperfect and prone to sin so regularly, (Romans 5:12) and why after all these centuries we can't get our act together either locally or globally, you think people will twig to the fact that something is intrinsically wrong with the way we humans think and act? That is what sin is. Only God can fix what's wrong with us, because he has given us enough time to prove to ourselves that in our imperfect state we can never get things right. There is a purpose to God allowing us to be caught in the act of being ourselves.

sojourner

If one identifies as a Christian, then becoming "one flesh" with our life partner of choice in scriptural marriage is the standard set by the Creator. You want to argue with him? Go right ahead.
Scriptural marriage? You mean plural marriage? Levirate marriage? The one where the woman must marry her rapist? Child marriage? Arranged marriage?Those scriptural marriages?
If this "healthy expression of one's sexuality" results in a loss of health and even death (as in STD's like AIDS) then how "healthy" can it be?
HIV, gonorrhea, the Syph, etc. are no respectors of sexual orientation, so this is a non-argument. A married homosexual couple stands much less chance of picking up disease than an unmarried, uncommitted straight couple.

Nature teaches us that its primary function is to produce offspring
And when that happens with someone other than one’s spouse, it constitutes a misuse of that function. Homosexuality does not.

No one said that we humans have to treat sex as only for reproduction, but the Bible does say that sexual activity is only for those in a committed scriptural marriage
K. Plenty of homosexuals are now married. Problem solved.

There is a purpose to God allowing us to be caught in the act of being ourselves
So, you assert that we aren’t created to be ourselves, even though when God had created humanity, God said it was “very good.” Gotcha. You go on ahead and pretend to be someone other than you were created to be. Meanwhile, the rest of us will celebrate the relationship with God that arises out of healthy acceptance of one’s self-identity.

sojourner

It's against homosexuality I'm not going to argue with you cause you know it's wrong
What is “it’s?” The Bible? Please provide just one — one — instance where the Bible states unequivocally that it is against homosexuality and I’ll apologize and shut up.

I’ll be waiting a long time, because you won’t find it. And if you don’t, may I expect the same courtesy of an apology and concession from you?

Musicfan

They will be going to the lake of fire so don't cry to me when you face God. And he says I never knew you depart from me.

sojourner

They will be going to the lake of fire so don't cry to me when you face God. And he says I never knew you depart from me.
Why would God say that to me, do you suppose? And are you up for the challenge of backing up your statement above, or are you just going to pass off an unfounded opinion as “fact.” (We call that the “Nuh-uh! Argument.” The same one heard in kindergartens all over the nation.)

sojourner

As to where do you think they get that from, women not being allowed to preach, teach, or speak their minds ?
Why of course right out of
1 Corinthians 14:34-35
1 Timothy 2:11-14.

But you have to remember that back 300 years ago, they didn't have the necessary documents or tools to do Translations with. As we have today.
So it does make all the difference.
What a people have and don't have.

You can not stop a flooding river by throwing a brick in it.
But you can if you have the necessary tools to build a brick wall with.
Again: context.