• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The battle of fast food!!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I kinda wish they had something a bit spicier.

Me too. Though I do like the flavor overall.

The best hot sauce I ever had I found in an international grocer in the Caribbean section. It was made of Scotch Bonnet peppers, and yellow; very hot, and a very unique flavor.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I used to like junk food from various fast outlets from greasy curly fries from Jack-in-the-box, "Mexican" food from Taco Bell and so forth.

But I gave that up years back for weight and health reasons.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

The best hot sauce I ever had I found in an international grocer in the Caribbean section. It was made of Scotch Bonnet peppers, and yellow; very hot, and a very unique flavor.

There's a place in Girard, OH called Jib Jab Hot Dog Shoppe (because hot dogs are old English, apparently) that had a collection of hot sauces. I used to mix and match them and create my own concoctions (2:26 in the video below).

Not really sauce (though Mexicans would disagree, since "salsa" is Spanish for "sauce"), but I used to make my own salsa using tomatoes, onions, jalapeño peppers, and habanero peppers from my own garden. I miss growing the ingredients and making it. :(

But my daughter is moving in this week, so maybe next spring she'll give me access to her garden (that the previous tenants made into a fire pit :mad::eek::mad::eek:).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
There's a place in Girard, OH called Jib Jab Hot Dog Shoppe (because hot dogs are old English, apparently) that had a collection of hot sauces. I used to mix and match them and create my own concoctions (2:26 in the video below).

Not really sauce (though Mexicans would disagree, since "salsa" is Spanish for "sauce"), but I used to make my own salsa using tomatoes, onions, jalapeño peppers, and habanero peppers from my own garden. I miss growing the ingredients and making it. :(

But my daughter is moving in this week, so maybe next spring she'll give me access to her garden (that the previous tenants made into a fire pit :mad::eek::mad::eek:).

That hot sauce array looks awesome.

The salsa sounds awesome. I sometimes make my own with tomato, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and whatever chilis I happen to have on hand. Its good stuff. Not as good as home grown, though. We do buy from a local farm, and that's better than store bought, but we don't have the space to grown anything here.

I hope you get garden access! There's nothing like providing your own meal, right from the seeds.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Okay this might be more about my curiosity about US fast food chains (which has an insanely long list of chains, ngl. I tried to visit each when I visited Cali and couldn’t do it in even 2 weeks. Also kind of made me sick. Your FDA has very low standards it seems lol)
Since I’m Aussie I am including local diners which might not be “fast” but the only equivalent we have here is maybe cafes.

What is your all time favourite chain? Does it even exist anymore?
What is your guilty pleasure menu item? Or even just your favourite? Your go to if you’re hungover? The weirdest item you’ve ever seen/tried?
Anything goes.
Not really into fast food apart from fish and chips, which, living in London as a child meant we often had rock salmon, a nom de tasty for dogfish I think. The mad cow episode in the early 1990s? saw me never to eat a burger ever again. Probably the worst thing I ever had was a squid or octopus in a roll (In Spain), and very rubbery it was too, so inedible. Three of my friends and I all had food poisoning from a local chippy after an evening's drinking, with varying effects on us as to which end it came out. For some it was both. :oops:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My default is a Cheesy Gordita Crunch with potatoes instead of meat and two Spicy Potato Soft Tacos. Occasionally I'll get the Cheesy Gordita Crunch with black beans instead of potatoes...depends if I feel I need protein or not.

And diablo sauce...lots of diablo sauce.
Omg I don’t think we can even have that here (though we have the cheesy Gordita crunch.)
Maybe I’ll try ordering that next time cos that sounds delicious

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If you're buying a full meal, consider less than.
Also, people who actually eat Vegemite ought
not dis other countries' foods.
(Here, we put it on sapling trunks so that the
rabbits & deer won't eat the bark.)
Why should I? It’s a meal not a buffet.
Also Vegemite is National treasure I’ll have you know. You Yanks just don’t know how to eat it properly. That’s not our fault. :p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Can I ask, what exactly is Arby’s? I saw it advertised a lot and just assumed it was a Maccas/Burger King competitor. But the Americans I’ve spoken to have seemingly taken issue with such a comparison
Arby's started out as place that only made roast beef sandwiches made out of thinly sliced real roast beef. The price of real roast beef kept their prices higher than other fast food places so their market share was limited. When the technology advanced enough so that they could take scraps and other bits of beef and glue them together with some sort of gelatin they were able to drop their prices and compete with the major burger companies.

arbys-roast-beef.jpg

You can see that something does not look quite right with that beef. It is not as bad now as when they first switched, but it still sucks compared to the original.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I like Subway. Get what you want, get it seasoned up, and you can actually get some tasty sandwiches from them.
Yes, the diablo water sauce is delicious.
Fixed it.:p
Seriously though, why do fast food places never actually have hot stuff when they say it's hot? Even Wendy's managed to severely and massively weaken their ghost pepper stuff a few years back. And just about everyone I've talked to thinks their spicy chicken used to be hotter.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I like Subway. Get what you want, get it seasoned up, and you can actually get some tasty sandwiches from them.

Fixed it.:p
Seriously though, why do fast food places never actually have hot stuff when they say it's hot? Even Wendy's managed to severely and massively weaken their ghost pepper stuff a few years back. And just about everyone I've talked to thinks their spicy chicken used to be hotter.

Probably for the same reason the Indian restaurant here won't give people of non-Indian descent spicy food. People order it in ignorance of what real spicy food is like, and then get mad at the server for their stupidity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

One of my favorites is the super hot Gringo Bandito. It too is super weakened for the heavy weight scoville rated chilis in it, but it has a decent kick and explodes with flavor.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
One of my favorites is the super hot Gringo Bandito. It too is super weakened for the heavy weight scoville rated chilis in it, but it has a decent kick and explodes with flavor.

The flavor means a lot to me. My husband likes just the straight hot, but for me, if the flavor is bland, the extra heat isn't worth it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Probably for the same reason the Indian restaurant here won't give people of non-Indian descent spicy food. People order it in ignorance of what real spicy food is like, and then get mad at the server for their stupidity.
That's discrimination against chiliheads who don't feel satisfied unless it BURNS.:tearsofjoy:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The flavor means a lot to me. My husband likes just the straight hot, but for me, if the flavor is bland, the extra heat isn't worth it.
This sauce I'd normally be disappointed with because it really just doesn't have much of a burn, but the flavor is just so wow and yum that I make an exception.
Screw Tabasco, the black bottle of Gringo Bandito I put that **** on everything.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's discrimination against chiliheads who don't feel satisfied unless it BURNS.:tearsofjoy:

I got in a battle with the owners of a restaurant now closed... they refused to give me Indian-spicy, but said they'd make it as hot as they could for their non-Indian customers. It was bland. I complained. Next time they gave me low level Indian spicy. I said better, but not good enough. The next time I came in, the waitress served me with a smug smile. Delicious! I loved it! She came over and asked "too spicy, yes?" Nope, I told her. Perfect! She got disgusted with me and said "That's too spicy! Only you and my husband can eat that!" But every time I came in after she'd just laugh and say "I know, you want it hot."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I got in a battle with the owners of a restaurant now closed... they refused to give me Indian-spicy, but said they'd make it as hot as they could for their non-Indian customers. It was bland. I complained. Next time they gave me low level Indian spicy. I said better, but not good enough. The next time I came in, the waitress served me with a smug smile. Delicious! I loved it! She came over and asked "too spicy, yes?" Nope, I told her. Perfect! She got disgusted with me and said "That's too spicy! Only you and my husband can eat that!" But every time I came in after she'd just laugh and say "I know, you want it hot."
I've decided one of these days when I make ot to an Indian restaurant I'll just tell them let the arrogant gringo burn.:laughing:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The only fast food I eat is what I can quickly whip up at home.

The ham from the other day, a little bread, some cheese cut from a nice block of cave-aged cheddar -- and in under 5 minutes I have a Croque-Monsieur sandwich.

Pot roast left over from Sunday, a small can Roma tomatoes and maybe a quickly minced shallot -- I've got a great sauce for whatever pasta I can quickly boil up.

And a couple of eggs and whatever you can find in your fridge door -- lunch is minutes away!

All fast-food joints, in my view, are trash.