• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"... The Authority Is Total"

Altfish

Veteran Member
92676688_3247096551976445_4068227927970414592_n.jpg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think it's much more a drift in the direction of the fascism that caused so much harm in Europe and elsewhere.

It is so bizarre that so many self-proclaimed "conservatives" support Trump, who is neither a fiscal conservative, nor a political conservative, nor a social conservative. Nor does it seem to bother them that Trump literally thumbs his nose at the Constitution on a regular basis. Nor does his lies, his corruption, his racism, his hedonism, etc.seem to bother them. And yet we're supposedly a "Christian country"? :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh the other hand, had a dem president declared total power...
As I see the conversation between Trump & the reporter, the context
was plague mitigation measures.
Setting aside partisan politics, there is a case to be made for a national
authority to prevent the spread of infection & death nationwide.
This is because lax restrictions in one state could increase infection
in other states.
As for the question of total control, that's a legal point far above my
pay grade. But I'm not a fan of such federal power over the states.
It should be greatly limited.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"
Thoughtful conservatives have to be crawling out of their skin in embarrassment at this guy.

Thoughtful conservatives have lined up against him in droves. They aren't the big names in conservatism these days, but nearly all have come out against Trump.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it's much more a drift in the direction of the fascism that caused so much harm in Europe and elsewhere.

It is so bizarre that so many self-proclaimed "conservatives" support Trump, who is neither a fiscal conservative, nor a political conservative, nor a social conservative. Nor does it seem to bother them that Trump literally thumbs his nose at the Constitution on a regular basis. Nor does his lies, his corruption, his racism, his hedonism, etc.seem to bother them. And yet we're supposedly a "Christian country"? :rolleyes:

The conservatives who get all the attention are conservatives in the mold of Rush Limbaugh, not Edmund Burke. The conservatives who do not get as much attention as the Limbaugh conservatives are the ones who support the Constitution and the best values and traditions of America.

The inverse principle: the more you americans toil to pontificate about its ills and point predictable fingers, the more you rot in an unsympathetic realm. This will of course take years for it to sink in for you, at the detriment of the earth.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
FYI. The notion the president has -- or should have -- total power is advocated by the AG, William Barr in addition to Mr. Trump himself.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The presidency isn't an autocracy, dumdum.
Separation of powers - Wikipedia
This is supposed to be a nation of liberty, but of course Trumpers would throw that away without a thought.
:womansboots::tongue:
Hard to call it a nation of liberty with the Nanny State alive and well. Classic Pot calling the kettle black genius. :Op

It might surprise you, but I actually disagree with what Trump said. However in time of national emergency the president does have a lot more power than you might think. It's kind of bizarre now that the left are now proponents of states rights all of a sudden simply because Trump wants to reopen the national economy and override the shut-ins against respective governor's wishes who want to still keep the clamps on their states.

The thing is Trump is wrong in respect to what he had said, and have since revised what he meant by stating he'll be working with state governors rather than overriding state-level policies.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hard to call it a nation of liberty with the Nanny State alive and well. Classic Pot calling the kettle black genius. :Op
What makes something a "nanny state"? Public roads/schools/libraries, etc? Laws that protect you and your rights from businesses that would cheat or exploit you?

It's kind of bizarre now that the left are now proponents of states rights all of a sudden

When did "the left" oppose states rights? For example, look at cannabis legalization and gay marriage before the supreme court struck down all bans. I suppose the left opposes state rights when it comes to cases of discrimination and inequality, but that would be in the name of liberty, not in opposition to it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What makes something a "nanny state"? Public roads/schools/libraries, etc? Laws that protect you and your rights from businesses that would cheat or exploit you?

To put it in the most straightforward terms it would be what is called compulsory legislation.
That's the nanny state.

Tell me, when was the last time the left had passed anything along the lines of incentive-based legislation?

ecco

Veteran Member
re: President Donald Trump and White House Coronavirus Task Force Daily Press Briefing | FULL — 4/13/20

Although the quality of the video transcript of that fiasco is poor, I've attached it below. Don Pedejo's performance was stunningly outrageous. There were a good number of memorable moments, but my personal favorites were these two:

At about 62:25, President Buffoon said:
  • 62:25 let me just tell you very simple
    62:27 I'm gonna put it very simply the
    62:29 President of the United States has the
    62:31 authority to do what the president has
    62:33 the authority to do which is very
    62:35 powerful the president of the United
    62:37 States calls the shots
At about 75:56, a female journalist said:
  • 75:56 you said when someone is President
    76:00 of the United States their authority is
    76:02 total. that is not true.
To which the Idiot replied:
  • 76:06 we're going to write up papers on this,
    76:09 it's not going to be necessary because
    76:11 the governor's need us one way or the
    76:13 other, because ultimately it comes with the
    76:16 federal government.
But the topper was at 80:58, when V.P. Pence said:
  • 80:58 well make no mistake about it, in
    81:00 the long history of this country, the
    81:03 authority of the President of the United
    81:04 States during national emergencies is
    81:07 unquestionably plenary.
I turned to my wife and said: "Over my dead body."

How in the world can you listen to this garbage for over an hour? It's sickening enough to have to listen to him berate reporters during an evening news recap.

ecco

Veteran Member
Won't and basically can't happen.
I don't share your optimism.

I didn't believe he would get nominated. Yet he rolled over all other Republican candidates..
I didn't believe many Republicans in Congress would work with him. Yet they all kowtowed and fall over themselves to kiss his ***.

I don't think many people, in 1930, believed Hitler would become god-like to the vast majority of Germans.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't share your optimism.

I didn't believe he would get nominated. Yet he rolled over all other Republican candidates..
I didn't believe many Republicans in Congress would work with him. Yet they all kowtowed and fall over themselves to kiss his ***.

I don't think many people, in 1930, believed Hitler would become god-like to the vast majority of Germans.
Constitutional amendments are too hard to make happen to make them juat happen.