• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Art of Trolling

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Today, I was on the ferry and a cigarette nazi was sitting a little down from me. I use electronic cigarettes, which aren't regulated in the City or State of New York, so the "No Smoking" signs don't apply to the electronics. This guy got visibly enraged to see me puff on one on a city-run boat. He finally, halfway into the trip, walked up to me, and demanded that I "put out" my "cigarette". Since my "cigarette" isn't lit, I asked him how. He walked over to the "No Smoking" sign and screamed that I'm not allowed to smoke. I told him to go get a cop(there are four of them on any ferry boat as it's underway). The cop walked over to me and asked if I had been smoking. I promptly, honestly, replied "No"(Technically, I was vaping, or using a personal vaporizer). This so enraged the guy that he screamed that he saw me put my cigarette into my pocket after puffing on it. The cop asked if I minded showing him the pocket contents. I complied, and, in the process, showed him the electronic. The cop picked up the electronic, looked at the guy, and said, "This? This isn't a cigarette. Why are you wasting my time? Don't bother me again." Then the cop assumed his position looking overboard in case someone falls overboard.
Me - 1
Anti-smoking Idiot - 0

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yea but come on when you see those idiots preaching on street corners don't you find is just a bit funny when someone goes and stands next to them making fun a bit? When I say idiots on street corners I don't mean the ones that quietly try to speak to you in a polite way, I mean the ones that just shout at everyone telling us going to hell unless we repent blah blah blah.

I love street preachers, man.

I once had a discussion with a preacher-type person. Lasted about 15 minutes about spirituality. I was using Western terminology and everything. When I needed to go, I simply said "Okay, gotta go. Hare Kṛṣṇa!", and walked off. His face was a picture. :D

Far more effective than mocking a preacher outright. :)

Something I plan on doing, but I haven't done yet, is getting the local Christian missionary group and the local Muslim missionary group (stand in the same street, just far apart) together, and tricking them into debating with each other. :angel2:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
oh geez Kathryn come on. :rolleyes:
It is not the religion that is being trolled, if that's what's bothering you.
If a missionary can stand on the corner and block traffic, then someone can walk up to them and return the favor, and preach back, but of another religion.

It's not that a PARTICULAR religion is being trolled - it's that ANYONE is being trolled.

The OP didn't say anyone was blocking traffic. His contempt of "Jesus Freaks" was obvious - and he didn't really qualify what he meant by "Jesus Freaks" so I can only use the information I have.

Furthermore, the troll wasn't trying to represent any other real religion. He was simply - well, he said it best - being a TROLL.

By the way, I thought it was sort of ironic that he said he had to remove articles of clothing that identified his own religion before he went over and trolled the Jesus freaks. Why remove them? Was he ashamed of what he was about to do? Were his actions in line with the values of his own religion?

Sticking up for the rights of others is courageous. Trolling is immature and tacky. He's the one who labeled his own actions as trolling, and his actions certainly seem to support that self accusation.

Kathryn

Today, I was on the ferry and a cigarette nazi was sitting a little down from me. I use electronic cigarettes, which aren't regulated in the City or State of New York, so the "No Smoking" signs don't apply to the electronics. This guy got visibly enraged to see me puff on one on a city-run boat. He finally, halfway into the trip, walked up to me, and demanded that I "put out" my "cigarette". Since my "cigarette" isn't lit, I asked him how. He walked over to the "No Smoking" sign and screamed that I'm not allowed to smoke. I told him to go get a cop(there are four of them on any ferry boat as it's underway). The cop walked over to me and asked if I had been smoking. I promptly, honestly, replied "No"(Technically, I was vaping, or using a personal vaporizer). This so enraged the guy that he screamed that he saw me put my cigarette into my pocket after puffing on it. The cop asked if I minded showing him the pocket contents. I complied, and, in the process, showed him the electronic. The cop picked up the electronic, looked at the guy, and said, "This? This isn't a cigarette. Why are you wasting my time? Don't bother me again." Then the cop assumed his position looking overboard in case someone falls overboard.
Me - 1
Anti-smoking Idiot - 0

Why didn't you simply tell the cigarette nazi that you were vaping on an electronic cigarette? Why make a big scene in public?

Sounds to me like you enjoy provoking confrontations.

Rakhel

Kathyrn, you are the one attempting to provoke a confrontation at this moment. Why don't you excuse yourself from this thread and have a good day.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Me - 1
Anti-smoking Idiot - 0

That's funny. :D

Kathryn

Kathyrn, you are the one attempting to provoke a confrontation at this moment. Why don't you excuse yourself from this thread and have a good day.

This is a debate and discussion forum and this is an open thread. I am not trying to provoke a confrontation, and frankly, I find your indignation amusing, because you seem to have a very high tolerance of provocation as long as you don't think it's directed at you or someone you're supporting.

I am discussing my POV regarding intentionally provoking people simply because one disagrees with them, aka "trolling." That is, after all, what this open thread is about.

I think trolling is tacky and immature. It is NOT on the same high level as protecting the civil rights of others.

And - it's a good way to get your *** whupped. One or two rounds of *** whuppin' tends to lower the trolling factor significantly.

And it's pretty entertaining to bystanders.

However, I'll take your advice and excuse myself from this thread. It's pretty obvious to me that I'm wasting my time - and life's too short.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Poisonshady313

Why didn't you simply tell the cigarette nazi that you were vaping on an electronic cigarette? Why make a big scene in public?

Sounds to me like you enjoy provoking confrontations.

Does it occur to you that the only one making a scene was the cigarette nazi?

Poisonshady313

This is a debate and discussion forum and this is an open thread. I am not trying to provoke a confrontation, and frankly, I find your indignation amusing, because you seem to have a very high tolerance of provocation as long as you don't think it's directed at you or someone you're supporting.

I am discussing my POV regarding intentionally provoking people simply because one disagrees with them, aka "trolling." That is, after all, what this open thread is about.

I think trolling is tacky and immature. It is NOT on the same high level as protecting the civil rights of others.

And - it's a good way to get your *** whupped. One or two rounds of *** whuppin' tends to lower the trolling factor significantly.

And it's pretty entertaining to bystanders.

However, I'll take your advice and excuse myself from this thread. It's pretty obvious to me that I'm wasting my time - and life's too short.

Carry on.
It's interesting that physical violence is preferable to you than merely busting someone's chops.

Kathryn

Does it occur to you that the only one making a scene was the cigarette nazi?

I don't have a problem at all with electronic cigarettes. However, I also know that they take many people aback - and that most people who "smoke" them know this.

It seems very easy to me for a person who gets confronted about "smoking" (and it certainly does look like they ARE smoking in a non smoking area - and they know it does) - could quickly enough defuse the situation rather than throw gasoline on a fire by yelling or carrying on.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Yosi enjoys stirring the pot and creating a scene. Here's what happened in his own words:

Today, I was on the ferry and a cigarette nazi was sitting a little down from me. I use electronic cigarettes, which aren't regulated in the City or State of New York, so the "No Smoking" signs don't apply to the electronics. This guy got visibly enraged to see me puff on one on a city-run boat. He finally, halfway into the trip, walked up to me, and demanded that I "put out" my "cigarette". Since my "cigarette" isn't lit, I asked him how. He walked over to the "No Smoking" sign and screamed that I'm not allowed to smoke. I told him to go get a cop(there are four of them on any ferry boat as it's underway).

Now - when the angry guy came stalking over - why not, instead of acting coy and provocative, say something along the lines of, "Hey, I can see why you'd think I was smoking - but this is actually not a real cigarette. See? Take a look at this - I think it's pretty cool - it's electronic! See? No smoke, no tobacco."

Last edited:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I don't have a problem at all with electronic cigarettes. However, I also know that they take many people aback - and that most people who "smoke" them know this.

It seems very easy to me for a person who gets confronted about "smoking" (and it certainly does look like they ARE smoking in a non smoking area - and they know it does) - could quickly enough defuse the situation rather than throw gasoline on a fire by yelling or carrying on.
I wasn't the one yelling and carrying on. Actually read the post.
It seems pretty obvious to me that Yosi enjoys stirring the pot and creating a scene. Here's what happened in his own words:

Now - when the angry guy came stalking over - why not, instead of acting coy and provocative, say something along the lines of, "Hey, I can see why you'd think I was smoking - but this is actually not a real cigarette. See? Take a look at this - I think it's pretty cool - it's electronic! See? No smoke, no tobacco."
The problem, this particular person wasn't going to listen to an explanation that wasn't handed down by a perceived authority figure, which is why I told him to go ahead and get a cop over. The question, "How" in response to his demand that I put out the cigarette would make a thinking person stop and get an explanation. He wasn't a thinking person, and deserved his chops busted, which is what happened.

Poisonshady313

The angry guy was already making a scene. Had he approached yosi in a reasonable manner, your approach migjht have been ideal.

Kathryn

It'd be interesting to hear the other guy's take on this scenario, but of course we won't.

I am not basing my opinion that yosi enjoys a good ol' public confrontation on this one situation by the way. I'm basing it on the OP, continuing comments, and THEN this story. Cumulatively, the evidence supports my opinion.

I'm not interested in personally bashing yosi though - but since he offered himself and his actions up to public comments, I'm commenting. Like I said before, I don't personally care for trolling or inflammatory public confrontations, and I think that people who intentionally provoke others are usually behaving badly themselves.

Last edited:

pwfaith

It's not that a PARTICULAR religion is being trolled - it's that ANYONE is being trolled.

The OP didn't say anyone was blocking traffic. His contempt of "Jesus Freaks" was obvious - and he didn't really qualify what he meant by "Jesus Freaks" so I can only use the information I have.

Furthermore, the troll wasn't trying to represent any other real religion. He was simply - well, he said it best - being a TROLL.

By the way, I thought it was sort of ironic that he said he had to remove articles of clothing that identified his own religion before he went over and trolled the Jesus freaks. Why remove them? Was he ashamed of what he was about to do? Were his actions in line with the values of his own religion?

Sticking up for the rights of others is courageous. Trolling is immature and tacky. He's the one who labeled his own actions as trolling, and his actions certainly seem to support that self accusation.

Bravo! :clap

why would anyone be proud to be a troll or troll others? :sarcastic I haven't been here that long, but long enough to see a few threads turn on those others thought were trolling here. Obviously it's not a widely accepted practice here, why would it be anywhere else?