• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you, Pope Francis

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He could be. Most of them act like everyone else. But we know what there goal is: To ELIMINATE disabled people from the Earth. They have tried several times to do so, and eliminate God's Chosen People. But they won't succeed. While the resort to violence and abortion, we'' ALWAYS embrace peace.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Catholicism is opposed to abortion, for any reason, and feels very strongly about the dignity of disabled people.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Except that he still opposes same sex marriage, contraception, and so on and so forth...
He really cannot change such teachings unilaterally, but he can pretty much change the tone on them, which he has. For example, roughly 98% of Catholic couples in the U.S. practice birth control at some point in their marriage, and yet you really don't here condemnation of them as people. And PF has already dealt with SSM couples as if they were heteros.

To put it another way, teachings are teachings but people are people, and it seems that PF wants to much more emphasize the latter.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
For a minute there he tried to invite atheists to Heaven too, but they pulled back on that immediately.
You don't actually understand Catholic teaching.

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone,” the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. “‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!”
Christ redeemed the world and everyone within it, opening up the possibility of salvation for all. That does not mean however that salvation is unconditional. Indeed those who explicitly refuse Christ to the end will not be saved. Pope Francis has never suggested anything otherwise. It's people such as yourself (either ignorantly or wilfully) distorting what he says. Misinterpreting Pope Francis for sensationalistic headlines may have become a media sport, but it's dishonest.

Last edited by a moderator:

popsthebuilder

Well, the bible also says don't eat shellfish or mix fabrics, yet Christians don't take those undoubtedly for whatever reason. Claiming there is no doubt based on scripture as justification for beliefs when dealing with religious texts as old as the bible is useless and stupid.
Not true at all. The gentiles have been given specific instruction. Shellfish are irrelevant as is fabric. Gluttony and waste are the point. If you cannot confirm the teachings or a pastor, priest, or pope through scripture then it is safe to say they aren't rightly guided under God. If you are without Faith then your opinion on this specific matter is utterly useless and without relevance whatsoever.
Thanks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My helper (the Xian fundie) told me today that the Pope is not a Xian, & he likely serves Satan.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People are reacting to the Pope in typical ways. And the Pope is to no surprise actually a Catholic. And as such he's upholding the fundamental teachings of the Catholic church. But what impresses me immensely is the compassion he's expressing. Take the case of Dorothy Day who not only had an abortion but a child out of wedlock but whose later life was quite different. His model of how the Catholic church should operate in the world has focus on lack of judgement and forgiveness.

I'm not a Christian but I like him as a human being. And I do agree with some but not all of his theology. But most of all I agree with his focus on the disadvantaged, the sick, the suffering, the poor and the marginalized in society.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Papa Francisco is simply doing what the Popes were supposed to be doing all along. He is trying to put the Church back on track after it has gone awry for so long. It is really sad that people are taken aback by his actions, when it should just be the norm. That is shameful. But God bless him for trying to bring us back to our senses.

Maybe, and indeed his positions on environmentalism and economic reform are commendable, but he's still far too conservative on so many other issues.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Maybe, and indeed his positions on environmentalism and economic reform are commendable, but he's still far too conservative on so many other issues.
Catholicism is conservative (traditionalist, rather) on issues of faith and personal morality (i.e. the family, sexuality, bioethics, etc.) but it's leftist on economic matters - from distributism all the way to a religious communism.