• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Us a Story from Your Religion!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
India, parts of it especially, is a walking culture. .. There are spcified walking pilgrimages (called yatras) in India ... to remote mountain temples of the Himalayas, or circuits in the south. Sometimes a large group (like everyone who wants to from a specified village) will go, over a few weeks. They're well organised, and various temples will give them food and a roof every 25 miles or so.
Yeah, the Amarnath Yatra (43 km - 14,000 ft), the Nandadevi Yatra (154 km - 16,470 ft.), Manimahesh Yatra (91 Km, now shortened - 13,000 ft.), etc.

The king of pilgrimages in North India was the Char-Dham Yatra. Yamuna origin, Ganges origin, Kedarnath, Badrinath, all 10-11,000 ft. Took months before rail and motor transport were available. Actually, people performed their death rites before they started on this journey. And for those who were fortunate to come back, huge feast was held in the village, as if they had defeated the God of Death, Yama.
Sometime the Truth, are the greatest Stories ever told.
Yeah, sometimes.

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

I believe this story comes from a book on 'Angels' by Billy Graham, that I read many years ago. I can't remember it perfectly but will do my best. I can't remember if it occurred in Africa or South America, but it was a place where there was tribal aggression against the Christian missionaries. For what ever reason, the native people were up in arms against the Christian missionaries and were attacking and killing them everywhere.

This story is about a Christian missionary and his wife in that area at that time. They had got word of the killings. There was no place to go. They had a small home in the jungle somewhere. They knew the people and the tribes and they fully expected to die.

That night they heard the drums and screaming that surrounded their house. They got in the middle of their home and just knelt in prayer expecting the worse. But, for some reason, it never came. At dawn, all the tribesman were gone. They didn't know how, but they praised God.

Some years later, the man went to a revival or a missionary conference in that area. And, as is common among Christians, there is a time of testimony, to declare something God has done or is doing with you at that time. Well, one of the native Christians stood up and gave his testimony. He had been the leader of those tribes back when they were killing all the Christians. And then he himself later became a Christian.

You can imagine the man's interest in listening to this when he and his wife had that close encounter. After the service he made a point to find this tribal chief and talk to him. He described his home and it's location. The tribal chief knew of it very well. And he confirmed that, yes, he was there that night outside his home with the intent of killing all in the house.

The missionary asked him, why? What stopped you? The chief looked at him and said, I have a question for you? Who were all those fearsome warriors that were surrounding and protecting your home? There was no way we were going to attack.

Good-Ole-Rebel

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Seven Gifts for the King

One day the king decreed, " You 7 of my most trusted servants, whom I have chosen shall present the fairest gift to me your king, I can only choose one gift. The one who brings me the most deserving gift I shall grant them the wishes of their heart, whatsoever they wish."

1st)The Sword of Haylen's House , the Knight's most victorious blade. For Honor sake!

2nd)Plans for a Royal Garden. To show the king's splendour and Majesty.

3rd)A Royal Mansion overlooking Shimmering Lake. To reveal the king's power and prestige.

4th)The Finest Music and Dance Celebration on the king's birthday. To show the king's light heartedness, and joy to all.

5th)The Most Elite Farm Equipment. To show the king's proud work heritage.

6th)A Grande Library Hall in your great name with the finest knowledge from around the world. To display the king's brilliant intellect and wisdom.

7th) "My king all I wish for is to build a school for the poor and underprivileged. My friends are in great need, and there is much to do for them. All they ask for is a chance to live. My gift is my compassion for these people."

The king stood up, and examined each servant carefully as they stood round about him in the sight of the congregation hall's finest people. And he paused for a moment of silence. And thence he spoke, " As I have said from the beginning, and once again, have you not heard me talk of the foundations I shall build my kingdom upon? I choose the Seventh gift. "

" My good sir, I accept your compassion! "

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe this story comes from a book on 'Angels' by Billy Graham, ..
That is similar to the story that we have heard in India. Saint Tulsi Das was writing his book "Rama Charit Manas" (The Story of Lord Rama). But a few people were against Tulsi Das. So, they wanted to destroy what Tulsi Das had written. But when they came to his hut in the night, they saw Monkey God Lord Hanuman, firend, companion and servant of Lord Rama, guarding the hut. Of course, who would dare to get into a conflict with someone like the mace holding Lord Hanuman?

proxy-image

Lord Hanuman with five faces (Panchamukhi - Boar, Human, Monkey, Lion, Horse).

Good-Ole-Rebel

In the 60's and 70's a Christian revival was taking place in America. Many were unaware of it but it was real and at a time when rebellion and drugs, and distrust of all authority was pervasive in our society. And many who were deep into that culture got saved out of it due to the revival that was taking place.

One of the places from which this revival broke out was the Christian college of Asbury in Kentucky. It began in the common daily routine of going to chapel which was a scheduled time for all while taking classes there. It was to last about an hour I believe. But, at the end of the hour, people would not leave. They continued in prayer, and testimony, and singing. They just wouldn't leave. And it would continue for 185 hours.

There is a video of it for any interested. Just google 'Asbury Revival of 1970'.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps he did, but he is supposed to have fulfilled all duties towards his parents, family and people. That is why he is known as "Maryada Purshottam", the one who was tops in fulfilling his obligations. He (his story) remains my ideal even after I have embraced athism.

Oh yes, I agree with all that. The more I think about the story I actually feel for him. I think the underlying message is that to do what is right may or will cause some kind of distress. It’s not always “... and they lived happily ever after”. Especially when one has to consider the greater good.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I don't know where in the literature this is found. It was told to me over the phone about 30 years ago, by someone I met in a BBS forum. I can't put into words why I think it is profound. I just know it hits all the right chords in my soul. The religion is Judaism.

The day came that Rabbi Zusha was on his deathbed. All his students were gathered around him. Suddenly he broke into uncontrollable tears. His students tried to comfort him, saying that he was as wise as Moses and as kind as Abraham, surely he would be judged well. Rabbi Zusha replied, "When I get to heaven God isn't going to ask me why I wasn't more like Moses or more like Abraham. He is going to ask me why I was not more like Rabbi Zusha, and I will have no answer."

At least, that's my memory of it. :)

I think if I try to badly put it into words, it has to do with the understanding that God has created each of us uniquely, and calls each of us to our own destiny. I am valuable for the person I am, and should not try to sell myself out trying to be someone else -- that would be a waste of all my God given gifts. I am the only me that there will ever be, and God made me, and said, "It is good." I've heard this story in so many different forms in different faiths -- but no where so succinct as this. This story is like a rose in the garden of my heart.

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@IndigoChild5559 -

I can’t tell you where the story was first published. My first reading came decades ago when I read Martin Buber’s “Tales of the Hasidim”.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The Debate

In one village, the reigning bishop wanted to kick out the Jews. So he told them: "Send whomever you like to debate me in a debate of Judaism VS Christianity. If I win, you shall all leave this village in three days' time. If he wins, you may all stay."
All the Jews were scared, and nobody wanted to face the bishop. Finally, Moshe the milkman raised his hand and said: "Someone needs to go, so I'll go."
On the day of the debate, everyone gathered in the town square. The bishop and Moshe sat facing each other.
The bishop raised his hand showing three fingers. Moshe stared back at the bishop and raised one finger.
The bishop raised his hand into the air and waved his fingers in a circle around his head. Moshe pointed his finger to the ground.
The bishop took out a glass of wine and a wafer. Moshe took out an apple from his bag.
Suddenly the bishop stood up in anger and said: "I give up. He has beaten me. The Jews may stay."

After all the Jews left, the Christians crowded around the bishop and asked: "Your holiness, what happened? How did you lose?"
Explained the bishop: "First I held up three fingers to represent the Trinity. He responded by holding up one finger to remind me there is still only one God common to both our beliefs. Then, I waved my fingers around my head to show him that God was all around us. He responded by pointing to the ground to show that God is here, now. I pulled out the wine and wafer, to show that God absolves us of all our sins. He pulled out an apple to remind me of the original sin. He had beaten me at every move and I could not continue."

Meanwhile, at the synagogue, all the Jews gathered around Moshe to ask what had happened. Moshe, bewildered, attempted to explain: "I haven't a clue, really. First, he said to me that we had three days to get out of the village, so I held up one finger to tell him that not one Jew is leaving. Then he tells me that the whole village would be cleared of Jews so I pointed to the ground to tell him s that we were staying right here."
"And then what happened?" asked the Jews.
Moshe scratched his head. "I'm not sure. He took out his lunch, so I took out mine..."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From the First Book Of Bokonon....

In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We
have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man.
Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around,
and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Currenr religion: personal development and community service, with love for nature.

Story: A young girl is carried away in her house by a tornado to a land full of magic, and strange people and creatures. She sees a pair of slippers on a wicked witch who was killed when the tornado dropped the house on her. A good witch who came to see what all the fuss was about tells her to take the slippers because the dead witch won’t need them any more. She also tells her that there is a wizard who might have a way to send her home. On the way to see him, she frees a scarecrow from slavery, resurrects a man made all of tin, and tames a lion with a slap on the nose, all without thinking that she’s doing anything special or unusual. They ask if they can go with her to see the wizard, hoping for him to give them what’s missing in their lives, The scarecrow, who turns out to be uncommonly clever, thinks he needs a brain. The tin man, who turns out to be uncommonly kind, thinks he needs a heart. The lion, who turns out to be uncommonly brave, thinks he needs courage. After many adventures they find the wizard, and after some more adventures to satisfy his requirements, the wizard, who turns out to be an ordinary man doing magic tricks, puts some make-believe brains in the scarecrow and a make-believe heart in the tin man, and mixes up a make-believe courage potion for the lion.

The wizard doesn’t know how to send the girl home, but he says that there is a good witch who might be able to help her. After some more adventures, the good witch tells her that she’s been walking on her way home the whole time that she has been in the magic land. It‘s the slippers that she’s been wearing the whole time! They’re magic, and they can take her home.

Some of the value I see in the story is in the virtues it illustrates. Some examples are creative thinking, kindness, thoughtfulness courage, friendliness, helpfulness, cheerfulness, and humility. The girl is relentlessly friendly, helpful and cheerful. She never tries to intimidate anyone, and she can’t be intimidated. One message in the story might be that sometimes we underestimate our capacities and possibilities. Another might be about the possibilities in people with widely different personalities and capacities working together in friendship and fellowship.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Bah, the biggest problem with being an atheist is that I don't have religious stories.
Having said that, I do feel free to appropriate other religions and mythologies based on what has value, and what's interesting to me.

It's kinda refreshing to read Norse mythology and come out of a story without a clear moral guide being rammed down your throat. I enjoyed the little Zen tales people posted in here for much the same reason (despite them being vastly different).

Things that make me think are always my preference over things that tell me how to think.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As someone who does not have a religion with a lot of stories (I'm working on it, though. :D ), I am forced to do the decent thing and shamelessly steal my stories from other religions. This story is beyond being a mere favorite. It expresses values at the core of my worldview:

Once, the Hassidic rabbi Zusya came to his followers with tears in his eyes. They asked him: “Zusya, what’s the matter?”

And he told them about his vision; “I learned the question that the angels will one day ask me about my life.”

The followers were puzzled. “Zusya, you are pious. You are scholarly and humble. You have helped so many of us. What question about your life could be so terrifying that you would be frightened to answer it?”

Zusya replied; “I have learned that the angels will not ask me, ‘Why weren’t you a Moses, leading your people out of slavery?’ and that the angels will not ask me, ‘Why weren’t you a Joshua, leading your people into the promised land?'”

Zusya sighed; “They will say to me, ‘Zusya, why weren’t you Zusya?'”

— Martin Buber, Tales of the Hasidim

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Persephone returns for six months.
"The myth of her abduction represents her function as the personification of vegetation, which shoots forth in spring and withdraws into the earth after harvest; hence, she is also associated with spring as well as the fertility of vegetation." - Wikipedia

So, from autumn to winter, she is not around and is with Hades. down under.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bah, the biggest problem with being an atheist is that I don't have religious stories.
Having said that, I do feel free to appropriate other religions and mythologies based on what has value, and what's interesting to me.

It's kinda refreshing to read Norse mythology and come out of a story without a clear moral guide being rammed down your throat. I enjoyed the little Zen tales people posted in here for much the same reason (despite them being vastly different).

Things that make me think are always my preference over things that tell me how to think.
You might look into Bokononism.
Every story is a shameless lie, so they're not to be believed.
You get it all.....disbelief, stories, & a funny sounding name.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You might look into Bokononism.
Every story is a shameless lie, so they're not to be believed.
You get it all.....disbelief, stories, & a funny sounding name.

You want me to read actual books? That's way more effort than my atheism demands, you know. Probably expect me to think, too?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You want me to read actual books? That's way more effort than my atheism demands, you know. Probably expect me to think, too?
The books are extremely short.
But I haven't read them yet.
It's not required.
Thinking is good though.
Just don't over-do it.