• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Us a Story from Your Religion!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From Wikipedia: The Trial of God :

In introducing the setting for the play, Wiesel gives us an idea of the provenance of the din torah / trial concept: "Its genesis: inside the kingdom of night, I witnessed a strange trial. Three rabbis—all erudite and pious men—decided one winter evening to indict God for allowing his children to be massacred. I remember: I was there, and I felt like crying. But nobody cried." Robert McAfee Brown elaborates on this strikingly bleak description:

The trial lasted several nights. Witnesses were heard, evidence was gathered, conclusions were drawn, all of which issued finally in a unanimous verdict: the Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, was found guilty of crimes against creation and humankind. And then, after what Wiesel describes as an "infinity of silence", the Talmudic scholar looked at the sky and said "It's time for evening prayers", and the members of the tribunal recited Maariv, the evening service.​

I've often felt this to be one of the better commentaries on Job

amorphous_constellation

Please (1) name your religion, (2) name and/or describe a story in the folklore, legends, or mythology of your religion, and (3) what value or values are being most promoted and encouraged in the story. I am especially interested in values that are core or central to your religion.

1) "Standard Animism"

2) Well, that quickly becomes a complicated question.. though maybe not. All folklore, legend, and mythology is valued. This is something that's grounded in attempting to connect everything together: it wants to see that it can all be one story, but it values the individuality it takes to come up with great stories - and as well, something mysterious and supernatural is at work in creating all of them. And furthermore, it reaches back several hundred thousand years. There is a long history of humans creating great stories, even now they make some which are equal to any other. All stories were told for a reason, all are pieces to a greater puzzle.

3) I think in valuing all stories, the main lesson to me is to transcend them to try and see what is behind them all. However, I value people following their own individual paths. So the value to me is 'transcendence,' of zooming out to see the macro-level that is the greater puzzle, but this is non-essential to attain.

As to what the implications are of what all this means, I think I attempt to go into that enough elsewhere. The implications of all this are complicated, for this about continually going behind everything

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
More than half the Hindus will say that Lord Rama's action was not correct. But the others would maintain that this was a great sacrifice on part of Lord Rama. So the debate goes on. Yeah, Hindus do not hesitate to point out where their deities may have gone wrong.

I’m glad you pointed this out. I still struggle with this one and often feel I’m wrong fir thinking Lord Rāma was wrong, when so many people say he couldn’t have been wrong.

I think you know I watched the tv serial Ramayan. Netflix carries it, fortunately subtitled. :D But I still raise the volume if I can’t hear. :rolleyes:

I came to understand Lord Rāma’s compassion (especially with the old leper at the temple, the scene makes me cry), but sometimes I think the Lord tried to please too many people, creating conflict for himself and distress for his loved ones. Especially Mother Sita in this case.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Vaishnava Hinduism (follower of Vishnu and his avatars).
2. The story of the shopkeeper and the boy.
3. The compassion of God.

Once, a poor little boy could not get even a morsel of food to appease his hunger, and stole a banana from a nearby fruit shop. Being a devotee of Lord Guruvayurappan (Vishnu), he dropped half the banana into the 'hundi' (temple donation box) and he ate the other half.

The shop-keeper caught hold of the boy and accused him of the theft. The boy admitted his guilt. The shop-keeper did not have the heart to punish this innocent boy, but to teach him a lesson, he ordered him to walk around the temple a certain number of times.

The shop-keeper was aghast when he saw Lord Guruvayurappan follow the little boy around the temple. That night the Lord came to the shopkeeper in a dream and explained, "Since I have also had a share in the stolen banana I am bound to share the punishment, too. So, I followed the boy around the temple."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Please (1) name your religion, (2) name and/or describe a story in the folklore, legends, or mythology of your religion, and (3) what value or values are being most promoted and encouraged in the story. I am especially interested in values that are core or central to your religion.
I guess the best way to answer this is to say that I consider Gandhi to be my main mentor, but I am Catholic, but very much on the lunatic left-fringe side. And I still go by my old "Faith Statement" that whatever caused this universe/multiverse I'll call "God" and pretty much just leave it at that. But then I rarely actually just "leave it at that". :expressionless:

OTOH, I firmly believe in Jesus' teaching on the "law of love", and also that the best "faith" is that of the actions of trying to help others, especially those in need. Since most of the main religious faiths teach this, I feel very much at home within other religious services with the exception of those who take the "my way or the highway" approach.

Now, I probably left the reader with more questions than answers, thus I'm a very complicated person.:rolleyes:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Many of the parables of Jesus (the lifeblood stories foundational to Christian morality, practice and theology) have become mainstays in the Western consciousness, such that I sometimes wonder what might be the point in specifically outlining them, given that they are so widely known already - even by people who've never actually read the New Testament.

Whether through their depiction in art or in everyday idioms - such as: a 'Good Samaritan', a 'Prodigal Son', 'the blind leading the blind', 'hiding your light under a bushel', a person being 'the salt of the earth', getting back onto the 'straight and narrow', 'left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing', 'let's kill the fatted calf', 'count the cost', 'out of the mouth of babes', a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' etc.- these stories and sayings are just part of the collective wisdom of Western people now.

But my all-time favourite remains the Parable of the Good Samaritan in the Gospel of Luke. I think it really exemplifies the universality, non-tribalism, non-judgementalism, humanism and social virtues which are - or at least should be - inherent to Christian ethics.

But he, desiring to justify himself, asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?"

Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan, as he travelled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him, 'Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.' Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbour to him who fell among the robbers?"

He said, "He who showed mercy on him."

Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

— Luke 10:30–37, World English Bible

With just a few, small modulations in ethno-religious identity and/or topography, you could fit the underlying moral of the story into the Northern Ireland Troubles between Catholics and Protestants or the Israeli - Palestinian conflict or any other social division between different 'tribes'/ 'factions' of people at any time and in any place throughout human history.

And that's what I love about it, quite simply: it's general applicability irrespective of time and place, which I think is the mark of a truly good story.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A Hindu story on conquering pride, as narrated at a dinner I was invited to by Swami Bhaskarananda of the Ramakrishna Mission, Chicago.

Swami and his brother monk, during early sannyasin training, still young and full of pride, were given the mission of walking India from north to south, living on alms alone, accepting any accommodation, or food that may come their way. Such pilgrimages, common amongst sannyasins, may take up to a year, but valuable lessons will be gleaned along the way, as God is beside you ever. In South India somewhere they noticed a hill temple, standing alone on a large rock outcrop. The granite path to the top seemed arduous, a couple of hours at least, but together they decided to scale it for darshan (sight of the God) early the next morning, before the South India sun baked them.

About 100 meters into the ascent, they looked ahead to see an old woman, also treading along the path. They talked about helping her along as it would be nigh impossible for a frail old woman to scale the mountain without assistance of some sort, and realised that if they put their arms together in the cradle way, they could carry her to the top. It was most likely the old woman's only, or at least the final opportunity of her lifetime to walk the mountain. It was a mission sent from God perhaps, to demonstrate how opportunity for helping is always there. Proud of their pilgrimage to date, their chests swelled with the knowledge of relating the story once back to their main ashram in the North.

So they approached the elderly woman, and one of them said, 'Mother, we would like to assist you in your journey. We would like to carry you to the top. The two of us are young and strong, and you are old and frail."

She looked at them in scorn, and said, "Go away! I do this every day, and have been for the last 40 years."

metis

She looked at them in scorn, and said, "Go away! I do this every day, and have been for the last 40 years."
Reminds me of Gandhi, who sometimes would walk for miles to greet someone even in his old age. A Jesuit priest who went to see him said that Gandhi walked 6 miles there and back to greet him, and Gandhi was in his 70's if my memory is correct.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Reminds me of Gandhi, who sometimes would walk for miles to greet someone even in his old age. A Jesuit priest who went to see him said that Gandhi walked 6 miles there and back to greet him, and Gandhi was in his 70's if my memory is correct.

India, parts of it especially, is a walking culture. Where I live now the Sikh people walk a ton. There are 3 gurdwaras nearby and when they were open, you always saw walkers. In contrast, in some parts of America, people drive to see their neighbour half a block away. (exaggeration for effect, but you get the idea)

A friend of ours had a parent who walked a kilometer or so to the store, in his 90s. There are spcified walking pilgrimages (called yatras) in India ... to remote mountain temples of the Himalayas, or circuits in the south. Sometimes a large group (like everyone who wants to from a specified village) will go, over a few weeks. They're well organised, and various temples will give them food and a roof every 25 miles or so.

Yatra - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I came to understand Lord Rāma’s compassion (especially with the old leper at the temple, the scene makes me cry), but sometimes I think the Lord tried to please too many people, creating conflict for himself and distress for his loved ones. Especially Mother Sita in this case.
Perhaps he did, but he is supposed to have fulfilled all duties towards his parents, family and people. That is why he is known as "Maryada Purshottam", the one who was tops in fulfilling his obligations. He (his story) remains my ideal even after I have embraced athism.

syo

I am a poytheist pagan. The story I would like to share is the story of Persephone, Hades and Demeter. Hades took Persephone by force as his wife and Demeter (the mother of Persephone) was asking for her. The Sun told her where Persephone is. Persephone returned to Olympus for a period of time and then went back to Hades and so forth. I like the myth because it joins birth and death. :)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
1) I'm an animist, but that isn't really a religion, but a way of being religious. The new Belief-o-matic says I'm 100% Taoism (although I match several others pretty closely). I can live with that.

2) Formerly, I, Kwang Kâu, dreamt that I was a butterfly, a butterfly flying about, feeling that it was enjoying itself. I did not know that it was Kâu. Suddenly I awoke, and was myself again, the veritable Kâu. I did not know whether it had formerly been Kâu dreaming that he was a butterfly, or it was now a butterfly dreaming that it was Kâu.

3) I think this story reflects the importance of having experiences and recognizing that one may not really know what the experiences are or mean...they are the mystery...and one shouldn't impose an interpretation...that one is a dream and therefore 'unreal,' and can be safely ignored...One should not impose such labels on people's experiences, declaring some true and some false, real or unreal, etc. Live your own experiences, your own relationships, don't worry much about others'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are spcified walking pilgrimages (called yatras) in India ... to remote mountain temples of the Himalayas, or circuits in the south. Sometimes a large group (like everyone who wants to from a specified village) will go, over a few weeks. They're well organised, and various temples will give them food and a roof every 25 miles or so.
And 'Parikramas', Vinayaka, around Kamada mountain in Chitrakoot where Lord Rama is supposed to have stayed for some time, or the Govardhan Mountain which Lord Krishna had lifted to shelter the people of Vraja, or in your case, perhaps the Palani Parikrama. Larger Parikramas and shorter Parikramas.

Chaurasi (84) Kosi Parikrama (84x2 = 168 miles - 10 days in February) 1 Kos = 2 miles:
Wikipedia lists 7 major Parikramas. Narmada Parikrama is the longest - 1600 miles, up and down the River Narmada.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Interesting question. If I profess a religion it's love. But to answer the question, I take Meher Baba to be God in Human Form. There's quite a few teaching stories that he communicated. Here's a short one about a musk deer, a "kasturi-mriga":

Once, while roaming about and frolicking among hills and dales, the Kasturi-mriga was suddenly aware of an exquisitely beautiful scent, the like of which it had never known. The scent stirred the inner depths of its soul so profoundly that it determined to find the source.

So keen was its longing that, notwithstanding the severity of cold or the intensity of scorching heat, by day as well as by night, it carried on its desperate search for the source of the sweet scent. It knew no fear or hesitation, but undaunted went on its elusive search, until at last, happening to lose its foothold on a cliff, it had a precipitious fall, resulting in a fatal injury.

While breathing its last, the deer found that the scent which had ravished its heart and inspired all these efforts came from its own navel. This last moment of the deer's life was the happiest, and there was on its face inexpressible peace.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The story I would like to share is the story of Persephone, Hades and Demeter. Hades took Persephone by force as his wife and Demeter (the mother of Persephone) was asking for her. The Sun told her where Persephone is. Persephone returned to Olympus for a period of time and then went back to Hades and so forth. I like the myth because it joins birth and death. :)
That is a story based on seasons, summer and winter. All Indo-European cultures have this story. Persephone returns for six months. In Vedas, it is disappearance of the sun for two months, when the Indo-Europeans lived in their sub-Arctic original homeland, and Indra fought with the demons to get sun released. This is the most important story in Avesta or Vedas.

Reactions: syo

metis

Where I live now the Sikh people walk a ton.
Funny you mention this as I'm having vegetarian Indian food this afternoon from a Sikh-owned restaurant. I've also gone to a few of their functions over recent years.

A friend of ours had a parent who walked a kilometer or so to the store, in his 90s.
I'm gonna hurt myself patting myself on the back as I walk 6 days a week, 2-3 miles per day, at 3 to 3 &1/2 m.p.h., rain or shine? Today's walk was with the weather being mid-30's F. I'm 75 years young. :rolleyes:

Got anything to fix my arm, btw?

There are spcified walking pilgrimages (called yatras) in India ... to remote mountain temples of the Himalayas, or circuits in the south. Sometimes a large group (like everyone who wants to from a specified village) will go, over a few weeks. They're well organised, and various temples will give them food and a roof every 25 miles or so.
Trust me, I would really love that!

Terry Sampson

Father McGillicuddy, the parish priest, was honored at a dinner celebrating his 25th year of ministry in the parish. A leading politician in the community and a member of the parish had been chosen to make an introductory speech for the occasion; however, he was unexpectedly delayed briefly. So the priest decided to say a few words, while everyone waited for the politician to arrive.

"I remember when I first arrived in this parish 25 years ago. I got my first impression of it from the first confession that I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a terrible place. The very first person who entered the confessional told me that he had stolen a television set and, when questioned by the police, had been able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled money from his employer, had an affair with his boss' wife, and had had sex with his boss' daughter on numerous occasions, taken illegal drugs, been arrested for public nudity, and had given VD to his sister-in-law.
I was appalled that one person could do so many awful things. But as the days went on, I learned that my parishioners were not all like that, and that I had indeed come to a fine parish full of good and loving people."

Just as the priest finished, the politician arrived full of apologies for being late and proceeded with his planned speech on the priest's behalf.

"I'll never forget when Father McGillicuddy arrived," he said. "In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go to him for confession."

ManSinha

I have narrated this before

Religion = Sikh

It is funny / ironic - depending on how you see it

The 1st Master (known as Guru Nanak) during his travels went to Kabul - and was invited to pray with the locals - he agreed. A couple of them observed that he was not praying but merely smiling at them - when asked afterwards he said "But you were not praying either - the Kazi was thinking about the horses he wanted to buy and you" pointing to the person who started the conversation "were thinking about the upcoming wedding of your daughter" Needless to say - they were stunned and asked his forgiveness.

Moral = (IMHO) = be cognizant of the divine at least during your prayers and do not just mouth the rituals / chants for the sake of doing so - it achieves very little to nothing

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I am a Baha'i, which means that I have accepted Baha'u'llah.

The story to me that is most important in the Baha'i Faith was the Execution of the Bab, (means Gate) who came to prepare the way for Baha'u'llah.

The story is above folklore, legends, or mythology as it is recorded History of the 1800's. Independant eyewitness accounts were given.

The historical account can be overlooked as to its importance, but it is a proof that God does as God chooses and no man can alter that Will.

The story can be told. In detail, but the summary is that the Bab was to be executed by a regiment of Christian Soldiers, who's commander did not want to be the one who took the Bab's Life.

The Bab instructed the commander to fulfil his given duty and if his heart was sincere, then the Bab said that surely God could releive him from the perplexity.

The Bab had not finished giving instructions when he was taken for execution and said that no earthly power could silence Him until He had fulfilled His purpose.

Thus the stage was set. The Bab was tied and suspended by a rope to the barracks wall (cross on pillar in below picture) and the order given to fire, when the smoke of the muskets cleared (there were 3 lines of soldiers that fired in turn) the Bab was gone.

The Bab was found back in his cell finishing giving the instructions he was prevented from finishing. The Bab then said I am finished you may now fulfil your intentions.

The Commander refused to take any other part and was released from his perplexity. Another Muslim regiment was hastly organised and at noon the Bab was executed.

The regiment that carried out that act eventually met their fate in the same dramatic way.

Sometime the Truth, are the greatest Stories ever told.

images (5).jpeg

Regards Tony

Last edited:

WonderingWorrier

Zen Buddhism

A CUP OF TEA.

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912) received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring. The professor watched the overflow until he could no longer restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Self-explanatory?

I like the question: Is the cup half empty or half full?

This is my answer:

The cup is half full of air.
And the cup is half empty of air.

And the cup is half full of water.
And the cup is half empty of water.

And the cup is completely full. Half water and half air.

Last edited: