• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher: Christian faith prohibits treating transgendered students with respect and dignity

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Refusing to submit to an ideology you consider false is not withholding respect and dignity from anyone.

Your concept of 'submit' is rather strange. In any case, the school appears unwilling to submit to the teachers ideology, so you...support their position?

For example, I truly believe that all of Mankind are the children of God which would makes us spiritual brothers and sisters.

In my religion we refer to each other as Brother or Sister "Last name".

Could I demand that everyone I meet refer to me as Brother John?

You could, of course.

Keep in mind, that referring to me as Brother John would cause you to operate under my beliefs concerning our spiritual relationship.

Rubbish.
I still would refer to Imans or Priests by their honorifics. This is purely a show of respect, and in no way effects my lack of belief in their God's.

You believe that I should be able to force people to refer to me thusly?

Force people to use a title when they talk about you in a secular school?
No.
I would suppose you might be able to in a religious school operating beneath the auspices of your religion though.

If they don't refer to me as Brother John, I could claim they aren't treating me with respect and dignity and I could get them fired?

Of course you could claim it. People would think you're an arse, I would suspect.

The idea that a person can change their sex is just as religious as my beliefs concerning the spirits of Man.

No one is asking you to agree with sex change or anything else.
Indeed, I don't even know where I stand on every aspect of this.

But that doesn't matter. If the kid wants to be called a certain name, the parents are agreeable, and it's not causing harm to anyone, then so be it. Assessing the kids rationale is beyond the teachers expertise or role.

They are letting their religious beliefs impact on how they treat the child, and that is not appropriate in a secular school. That's it. The rest is window dressing.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The difference, of course (edit: one difference of several), is that antagonizing a kid goes directly against the core duties of a teacher. A football player taking a knee does not go against the core duties of a football player.

I like the edit here.
All people in a democracy have some investment in how their country works.
If NFL players ever combined to take a knee over how a child (which is important to remember) wants to be referred to;

1) I would be stunned
2) I would need to revisit my beliefs about human nature
3) I would boycott the NFL

With my tongue in my cheek, since people readily accept Washington's money to play under a very dubious name, I'd suggest NFL players care too little about names, and wouldn't give two craps about this issue.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Religious liberty and free speech are human rights.

Free speech doesn't apply to your work place and its rules. This teacher still has the right to believe and say whatever they like, but their employer also has the right to terminate them for insubordination. Religious liberty doesn't give them a free pass not to do their job properly.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I am not the actual teacher, but I support his rights. I have also no respect for liberal liars or conservative con artists, and find it hypocritical when the far left ONLY goes after Christians.

Do you have any examples of anyone other than Christians attempting to undermine the establishment clause of The First Amendment?

Bob the Unbeliever

This is why I did my 180 from my initial post. The teacher was OBVIOUSLY well aware of the guidelines handed down from the Department of Education. In my view, he then, in a predatory fashion, zeroed in on the young person directly involved and made his rather pathetic stand. The teacher was fired for insubordination and rightly so (I see now). (Edit: The decision to terminate was unanimous, I might add.)

I agree with your analysis, and you put it quite well. I had not quite thought it out like you did, here--but you are correct.

I expect the teacher will sue, to try to push back against what he sees as "religious limits".

In a way, he's correct: the US no longer permits Religion to abuse people in the name of Religion.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
This is why I did my 180 from my initial post. The teacher was OBVIOUSLY well aware of the guidelines handed down from the Department of Education. In my view, he then, in a predatory fashion, zeroed in on the young person directly involved and made his rather pathetic stand. The teacher was fired for insubordination and rightly so (I see now). (Edit: The decision to terminate was unanimous, I might add.)
Upvoted for self correction.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
If you were honest, you would've answered his question. But you dodged it, so you're not.
I don't have to engage when people troll me, and you need to stop blowing up my notications. I will not change my mind, so you are wasting your time. As a moderate Republican, I have an issue with both parties, but conservatives have me on free speech, and religious liberty. I affirm your rights, so you are selfish not to affirm mine. Peace and joy, me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have to engage when people troll me, and you need to stop blowing up my notications. I will not change my mind, so you are wasting your time. As a moderate Republican, I have an issue with both parties, but conservatives have me on free speech, and religious liberty. I affirm your rights, so you are selfish not to affirm mine. Peace and joy, me.

Religious liberty?
You sure about that?

Jumi

Just a tip, but you should never call a person "it". It's dehumanizing. If you don't know what a person wants to be called in terms of gender, just use "they". That's what I do.
In my language there is no he or she. You use the same word for either, much more convenient for people out of the norm. Same goes for many languages...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In my language there is no he or she. You use the same word for either, much more convenient for people out of the norm. Same goes for many languages...

Well, one of the nice things about Finnish people in my admittedly limited experience is that they tend to think before they speak.

Jumi

Well, one of the nice things about Finnish people in my admittedly limited experience is that they tend to think before they speak.
Many of us are like that, but we have our share of people who don't think... many of those seem to love politics.

wellwisher

Religions attempt to stay more natural. Transgender requires all forms of artificial changes, which are not natural but which require science and medicine for cosmetic changes. These are all used to create a visual illusion for everyone else. Like in any magic trick, the magician needs the audience's attention directed a certain way or else the trick does not work properly.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Many of us are like that, but we have our share of people who don't think... many of those seem to love politics.

Hah!

My favourite question in Finland was by a bartender at the airport (all of Finland I have seen).
Seven in the morning local time, and she asked me and my Swedish friend if we minded if she poured herself a beer as well as us.

I've only known about 5 Finns, and only a couple of those IRL. But they all had that quality of just saying enough. Or occasionally not even that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Religions attempt to stay more natural. Transgender requires all forms of artificial changes, which are not natural but which require science and medicine for cosmetic changes. These are all used to create a visual illusion for everyone else. Like in any magic trick, the magician needs the audience's attention directed a certain way or else the trick does not work properly.

Religions?
Or your religion?