• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher: Christian faith prohibits treating transgendered students with respect and dignity

Skwim

Veteran Member

"High school teacher in Virginia fired for refusing to call transgender student male pronouns

A few days ago, the West Point Public School Board in Virginia voted unanimously to fire Peter Vlaming, a French teacher who had taught for seven years, because he refused to call a transgender freshman with the pronouns “he” and “him.” Vlaming said his Christian faith prohibited him from treat the student with respect and dignity.

fox transgendered news link.png

Peter Vlaming, who taught French class at West Point High School for nearly seven years, lost his job after a five-hour long public hearing he requested Thursday night.

The original complaint stemmed from a rising-9th-grade student who had transitioned and requested to be called by the male pronouns "he" and "him."

Principal Jonathan Hochman told the School Board that Vlaming refused to use the male pronouns to refer to the student because he considered it a "lie."
source

Your thoughts on the statement that his "Christian faith prohibited him from treat[ing] the student with respect and dignity."

(A note on the thread's title. It is not a quote from the teacher.)​

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I understand the difference between hermaphrodites and transgender persons. I just wanted to say fundamentalist Christians are very uncomfortable with discussing happily married hermaphrodite/female couples or happily married hermaphrodite/male couples. I've been met with stone cold silence when asking Christians, who believe marriage is strictly between a man and woman, if happily married hermaphrodite/male or happily married hermaphrodite/female couples can have their marriages spiritually sanctified and blessed by God Almighty.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I understand the difference between hermaphrodites and transgender persons. I just wanted to say fundamentalist Christians are very uncomfortable with discussing happily married hermaphrodite/female couples or happily married hermaphrodite/male couples. I've been met with stone cold silence when asking Christians, who believe marriage is strictly between a man and woman, if happily married hermaphrodite/male or happily married hermaphrodite/female couples can have their marriages spiritually sanctified and blessed by God Almighty.
Doesn't only one of the genitalia work for hermaphrodites? If I was thinking like a fundamentalist Christian, I would say that that's the gender you are and the other one is just some extra skin flaps.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Doesn't only one of the genitalia work for hermaphrodites? If I was thinking like a fundamentalist Christian, I would say that that's the gender you are and the other one is just some extra skin flaps.

I don't know if that's true? I briefly worked in an office with a hermaphrodite co-worker, I honestly couldn't identify this person's sexual gender as male or female; this person also had a unisex name. I didn't dare ask this person any questions concerning his/her/its body.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Your thoughts on the statement that
his "Christian faith prohibited him from treat[ing] the student with respect and dignity."​

Perhaps he wanted to become the next Jordan Peterson.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It is a bit of an object lesson for anyone hell bent on standing up for their principles. Those days are over, unless of course, your principles are in alignment with political correct doctrine, then you can do whatever you like.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

"High school teacher in Virginia fired for refusing to call transgender student male pronouns

A few days ago, the West Point Public School Board in Virginia voted unanimously to fire Peter Vlaming, a French teacher who had taught for seven years, because he refused to call a transgender freshman with the pronouns “he” and “him.” Vlaming said his Christian faith prohibited him from treat the student with respect and dignity.

Peter Vlaming, who taught French class at West Point High School for nearly seven years, lost his job after a five-hour long public hearing he requested Thursday night.

The original complaint stemmed from a rising-9th-grade student who had transitioned and requested to be called by the male pronouns "he" and "him."

Principal Jonathan Hochman told the School Board that Vlaming refused to use the male pronouns to refer to the student because he considered it a "lie."
source

Your thoughts on the statement that his "Christian faith prohibited him from treat[ing] the student with respect and dignity."

The teacher should have just used his name and kept mum on the rest. Just call it like it is. A transgenderd person.

Nobody should be forced to say anything they don't want to say.

Twilight Hue

A lot of it has to do with natural and artificial means of sexual determination.

Let's face it , sex changes are just not natural designations but at the same time it's not an excuse to belittle that person for making that decision.

It doesn't sound like the teacher belittled anybody. He just had his own principles he wanted to defend. It's not like he was refusing to teach transgender people. He just couldn't bring himself to call on a person that they're clearly not from a natural standpoint.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I guess we could also ask the teacher, or anyone else for that matter, "is it more important to you to call somebody what they want to be called, or what you wish them to be called?"

And the follow-up question should be "why?"

Skwim

Veteran Member
The teacher should have just used his name and kept mum on the rest. Just call it like it is. A transgenderd person.

Nobody should be forced to say anything they don't want to say.
So you feel it doesn't matter that a student who has gone through the stress of becoming a transgendered male and asks to be addressed as such, should have his wishes ignored, and be referred to as a "she" or "her" no matter how much it may hurt him. Interesting notion of deference, respect, and compassion you have.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Geez, give the kid a break, why not? No one gets to dictate the life style of another person if no one else is being harmed.

Doctors don't know the whole story because I don't have thousands of Dollars to pay for all the tests, and Genetics is very complicated. I know they say I am XXY Non-Kleinfelter's, and possibly some sort of Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, meaning Testosterone is ineffective to one extent or another. The prejudice and condemnation I've faced has been quite painful. Shrinks just dump me in the Transgender bucket, but I'm Intersex. Grrrrr

So here this kid is just trying to do the best he can, and some jerk decides its his place to run his life, and to hell with teaching French. I'd say he could call the kid what he wants but no pay for French teaching?

Twilight Hue

So you feel it doesn't matter that student who has gone through the stress of becoming a transgendered male and asks to be addressed as such, should have his wishes ignored, and be referred to as a "she" or "her" no matter how much it may hurt him. Interesting notion of deference, respect, and compassion you have.

I'm of the opinion that pretending is not going to make it the real thing just because a person decides to slap on surgically, a penis, vagina, or some boobs on their body. Hermaphrodites are different story for which it's clearly a natural third sex in my opinion for which two pronouns would apply, should the parents decide one sex or another then one desire pronoun would be sufficient.

I never said that a person who is transgender however should be completely disregarded with their wishes. But I also feel that if a person does not want to address another person when it comes to pronouns, that person should retain that right to just stay silent on the issue and not say anything about it at all. If the teacher was just being an ******* to the student, and press the issue, then I can see disciplinary measures.

For a society and or Institution to force a person to say one thing or another under some kind of idiotic threat of not being PC enough , that Society can **** off with hopefully a stern reminder that such a society or business still has a lot of growing up still to do.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There's no such thing as true hermaphroditism among humans. It's an outdated term. There are a spectrum of intersex conditions but their physical presentations are typically more subtle.

Intersex - Wikipedia

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm of the opinion that pretending is not going to make it the real thing just because a person decides to slap on surgically, a penis, vagina, or some boobs on their body.
Excuse you, but I am not pretending to be a man and you wouldn't say that crap to my face. Also, that's not how sex reassignment surgery works. Mind you, breast implants, vaginoplasty and phalloplasty are also used for cis people who may have lost their breasts or genitals through illness, injury or never had them due to a deformity. Phalloplasty is often used on combat veterans who were wounded in war. So you just insulted them, too. Good going.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Good. Kudos to the school board. He deserved to be fired. If you can't treat your students with respect, then don't be a teacher. You're going to have to deal with out LGBT students now and they're going to have to get over it. He can't use his religion as an excuse to be an *** because there's many trans people who are Christian and denominations that affirm trans people. A Christian is supposed to respect the dignity of all their fellow human beings, and he is violating that by making it a point to discriminate against, belittle and humiliate a student of his. Not only that, but it is unnecessarily disruptive of the learning environment.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It is a bit of an object lesson for anyone hell bent on standing up for their principles. Those days are over, unless of course, your principles are in alignment with political correct doctrine, then you can do whatever you like.
Really? I'm disappointed in you. This is really about basic respect. It's like if someone changes their name. You should just respect that.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't know if that's true? I briefly worked in an office with a hermaphrodite co-worker, I honestly couldn't identify this person's sexual gender as male or female; this person also had a unisex name. I didn't dare ask this person any questions concerning his/her/its body.
Just a tip, but you should never call a person "it". It's dehumanizing. If you don't know what a person wants to be called in terms of gender, just use "they". That's what I do.

Shad

Veteran Member

source

Compelled speech and forced validation, nothing more. He made a compromise but that was rejected.