• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tattoos: Good or Bad?

Are tattoos good or bad?

• No promblem with them at all.

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • They are not good for society, or the individual.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Only for spiritual reasons should they be used.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They should only be used for aesthetic purposes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Even if I got one, you couldn't see in, under my furry hair...

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Do you think tattoos are bad? Should they only be used for aesthetic reasons, or only for spiritual reasons?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've seen some beautiful tattoos. I sometimes wonder, however, whether a tattoo we get when we're 17 will still appeal to us when we're 37.

ayani

tattoos are ok... but i figure you'd best get one that's going to be meaningful to you for a while, as sunstone said!

getting a tattoo that reflects cultural or religious pride / conviction is probably better than getting one that reads "betty and don 4 ever", if you've only just met betty or don at the carnival and you've both had half a pitcher of beer.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I've got one. Got it in a place that always felt like it was missing something--my lower left back. I might get another, on my right hip.
Mine, I see as good thing (obviously). But it becomes a bad thing when it's an addiction that you put all your money towards instead of things like rent. I also have issues with the ones that say "Bob and Sue 4ever" or whatever, as gracie stated. For me, tattoos should not be dictated by outsiders. It's /your/ body the thing's stuck on.

Pah

Uber all member
Druidus said:
Do you think tattoos are bad? Should they only be used for aesthetic reasons, or only for spiritual reasons?
Mine are a graphic presentaion of facets of my being - it's a REAL label

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
I've seen some beautiful tattoos. I sometimes wonder, however, whether a tattoo we get when we're 17 will still appeal to us when we're 37.
The first tats I got where in my late 50's. Twenty years from now, the wrinklies and fat rolls may well hide them but I'll always love them - they are ME

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I have no problem with tattoos themselves... how some people choose to display them... that's another story...lol

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
My only problem with tatoos is that in the 90's here they became a 'trendy' thing to do, so masses of the type of peoplr who can't bear to wear a shirt for more than one season went out and got them...to their ultimate regret. Now they're out there whining because it's a long, painful and expensive process to have them removed.
The only thing with any sort of permanent marking - tattoos, branding, scarification - is that you need to be sure that you can live with it forever before you get it done.

Dr. Nosophoros

I have a few myself, if you like them fine, if not then you don't. Tattoos on women can be very sexy IMO, but the initial visual sexiness factor wears off if they got one or two because everybody else has a lower back tattoo (or elsewhere), the individual is what is important to me. If they wear it and wear it well, then yes it's sexy to me but tattoos for fashions sake is a waste- what will it be tommorow? I feel that Tattooing , scarrification etc., is a very personal thing, it's not a fad, it's not a sense of slavishness to changeable fashion trends but a very personal experience, and to me that is the only reason one should get one.

Master Vigil

While I have absolutely no problem with them myself, and may get one oneday... Right now, I feel no need for one. As a taoist, my necessity instinct kicks in and says... "Do I need one?" And until I say "yes," I'll never get one.

No*s

Captain Obvious
I didn't see an option for how I feel on them :eek:.

I don't see them as destroying society, but I feel the body is a sublime gift from God, and that it is a piece of art that we can't match. With that in mind, I kind of see tatoos like spray paint on a beautiful statue. To me, it sort of defaces it, and it's not something I would do.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I voted for have no problem with them, though that is not entirely true. I have a couple tattoos myself and I may get another though I don't know yet. The thing is is that I feel that they should mean something to the person and would be a way of expressing themselves. The only problem that I see is when some seem to take it too far and have their entire bodies covered with them and get to a point that they don't even know what is on their bodies anymore. They are more concerned with getting them than if they mean anything to them.

btw: I have a pretty dragon (I am a dragon in the oriental zodiac) on the outside of my left leg that is wrapped around two roses each a different color and have specific meaning. My second is an ahnk with a rose entwined up it, on my right shoulder blade. It is four colors...yellow, blue, green, and red...for each of the elements to symbolize balance within myself through the Goddess.

Ceridwen018

I've made up my mind. When I turn 18, I am getting one. That way, whenever my mom pisses me off, I can touch it and find comfort in the fact that I have committed the ultimate naughty act in her eyes.

As far as not wanting it when I'm older....#1, I'm going to get it on my lower back, so i won't have to look at it if I don't want to, and #2, it will remind me of my youth. One thing that I never want to become is a stuffy old grown-up.

Alien_Youth

Soldier in God's army
My personal views on this are that as long as the tattoo is tasteful and placed somewhere where it can be covered with clothing later if you don't like it then there is no problem. I am 19 and am going to get my first tattoo soon it will be a cross with the words "Jesus died for me" under it on my shoulder. If I don't like it later I can put a shirt over it and not have to look at it.

God Bless,

Alien Youth

p.s. (for the christians on this forum) the bible also says that you should defile the temple (your body) therefore satanic tattoos or things that are immoral are discouraged by christian beliefs (not trying to be preachy here this is only for those that read the bible and follow it's teachings very closely) I apologize in advance if I offend any of the other religions represented in this wonderful forum by saying this.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
Ceridwen018 said:
I've made up my mind. When I turn 18, I am getting one. That way, whenever my mom pisses me off, I can touch it and find comfort in the fact that I have committed the ultimate naughty act in her eyes.

As far as not wanting it when I'm older....#1, I'm going to get it on my lower back, so i won't have to look at it if I don't want to, and #2, it will remind me of my youth. One thing that I never want to become is a stuffy old grown-up.
lol. Let me tell you what happened when I told my mom about my tattoo:

I'm a quiet girl. I do NOT like loud parties, drinking, piercings, and 'dark' things, although I do like dinosaurs and dragons (fantasy in general), dressing like a goth on occassion, and fursuiting. But I'm not someone to do 'extreme' things.

I had wanted a tattoo since...oh...my sophomore year in high school. But alas, I could not get one without a parent's permission. Ha. Not going to happen with my family.

I get to college and spend a month drawing the design I wanted, finalizing it, and visiting a tattoo parlor. Finally, I get up the courage to go there and get it done. Now, understand here that my credit card and bank statements still get sent home so my mom can help me with my finances (I really don't mind this, she's helped me figure out a lot of things). So I walk all the way to the tattoo parlor, spend an hour and a half getting it done, and walk back to school. About three days later I finally had a chance to call home and tell my mom (because I didn't want her to see it on my credit card report and go "wtf?!").

"Mom...I want to tell you something now, so you don't freak out later."
"...okay."
"um...a few days ago...I got a tattoo."
"..." Total silence XD.

And then I got the 'it's not what I would have done, but you're an adult, it's your choice' lecture.

But I think now, she's gotten used to the idea. I went home over Christmas break, and she finally remembered that she had never seen my tat XD. So I showed it to her (it's on my lower left back), and she was like "huh...not like I thought it was." I think she actually kinda liked the design, because she didn't have the 'I don't like it but I sitll love you' smile but more of a 'oh okay I understand now' smile.

And to be honest, I have no idea what my dad thinks >>. I don't think he cares at all. He's very laid-back...probably would laugh at me XD.

So yes. That's my not-very-interesting story.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Alien_Youth said:
p.s. (for the christians on this forum) the bible also says that you should defile the temple (your body) therefore satanic tattoos or things that are immoral are discouraged by christian beliefs (not trying to be preachy here this is only for those that read the bible and follow it's teachings very closely) I apologize in advance if I offend any of the other religions represented in this wonderful forum by saying this.
I'm very sorry if we gave you the impression other points of view weren't welcome, Alien_Youth! It's just that the threads you originally posted in were in the sections of the forum dedicated to learning about other religions, not debate. In the debate section it's pretty much a free-for-all, so long as there's no bashing of members or other religions. :)

Just be prepared to defend them. ;)

Circle_One

I love tattoos, I mean absolutely love them. Presently I've got 8 and am going in a week to get my 9th done.

The way I see it is tattoos are my way of expressing who I am and what I'm about. My body is to me as a blank canvass would be to a painter, waiting to be filled with the heart and soul of said painter.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I've run into quite a few people who give me the 'you've defiled your body!' line. But I see my tat as more of a expression of my faith, and marking of my body for Christ. Now, I could understand their words if I had gotten, say, a pentagram, but I didn't. :}~