• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taken me a lifetime to believe as I do and I still have questions

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I can understand logical fallacies.

Anthrpologists look at the size of the brain cavity in a skull and state it is more intelligent because the space is bigger but elephants have bigger brain cavities and they ae not more intelligent. My conclusion is that they jump to conclusions based on a logical fallacy.
"Despite having three times as many neurons, elephants only have a third as many neurons in their cerebral cortex. The cortex just so happens to be the part of the brain we associate with a lot of “higher cognitive functions” and intelligence"

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

Anthrpologists look at the size of the brain cavity in a skull and state it is more intelligent because the space is bigger but elephants have bigger brain cavities and they ae not more intelligent. My conclusion is that they jump to conclusions based on a logical fallacy.

Also, just so you are aware, anthropology is the study of culture. It has nothing to do with brain sizes or anything like that. What you are referring to would be covered in biology which is a different field of science altogether. This has to be one of the most lazily constructed straw men I've seen in a while

Audie

Veteran Member

Conclusions built on a falsehood are fallacies.

The claim about anthropologists is false,
you can provide no citation because you
made it up.

And pretend you are smarter, and can see through
their dimwitted fallacies.

Seems a bit vain.

But wait, there's more! You know ToE is false
so you know more than ANY scientist, not just
them silly anthros.

And then grestest of all - you know the one true
version of what the Bible means.

You sure there's no ego in there?

Let's see what you actually can understand.

Last edited:

Ebionite

I do not believe that is the case. Paul said we are saved by grace: Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I believe Jesus is God and that verse is another proof of it since it was the angel who named Jesus Savior.
Then your salvation is contingent upon a man who lied about his role in that salvation.

Paul's accounts of being appointed as a witness are inconsistent because in one account he is appointed directly and in another he is told of it by Ananais.

14And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
15And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
16But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
17Delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
7And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
8And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.
9And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.
10And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.
11And when I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of them that were with me, I came into Damascus.
12And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt [there],
13Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
14And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
15For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.

The account in Acts of what Paul was told by Ananais says nothing of Paul being a witness.

13Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
14And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
15But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
17And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, [even] Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

IndigoChild5559

Then your salvation is contingent upon a man who lied about his role in that salvation.

Well, since Jesus didn't write anything that survived, we really don't know what his claims were. All we have are the collections of legends about him.

And remember that even if Jesus had left writings, it would not necessarily make his claims true.

IndigoChild5559

Indirect sources can be validated.
1. Eyewitness accounts are NOTORIOUSLY unreliable. Someone telling you what they heard Jesus say will NEVER be as accurate as Jesus telling us, via writing.

2. None of the gospels are even eye witness accounts. The authors simply collected the legends about Jesus that were available to them decades after Jesus' death, and had no care to try and discern what was mere legend and what was actual history.

Tinkerpeach

Why do Christians primarily follow Jesus instead of god? While god may be in the house, most prayers and worship services praise the good news of Jesus from the new testament. During my days at church I felt praying to Jesus was a waste of time there praying to god made better sense to me.

People repeat word for word scripture from the bible if it say pray this in my name and god will hear you. At the end prayer it is said, "in Jesus name" because the bible told me so.

Christians are charged to live life as Jesus did. The bible states Jesus was a perfect man, without sin. How is that relevant today, knowing according to the. bible everyone has sinned and come short of god's glory?

Church and religions are in the business of providing godly services, prayer, support, worship and other activities. These things cost money so tithing is made by attendees and supporters to ensure the longevity and prosperity of the church and religion.

Church leaders are ordinary men and women. They are not any different than you or me, so they do not deserve to be set on a pedestal, even though they may consider themselves better, holier etc.
I struggled with the question of who exactly to pray to early in my faith also.

The answer I received is that it is fine to pray to either due to the nature of the trinity. I personally pray to God but there is nothing wrong with praying to Jesus also. I was told it was an individual choice. Both are God.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what name you invoke but what is in your heart that counts. If you are sincere then God will hear you.

Mr. Ed

I am at a place where I find fault with Christianity because it does not provide tangible proof for which the entire foundation of Christianity is faith alone. The. other thing is why do Christian's maintain the Bible as god's word without questioning its contents. Case in point; homosexuality, if we believe god is the creator why punish that which was by. god? I think Paul was homophobic, either that or a negative reflection by biblical authors.

All I know about is Christianity, I would like to find a place of god, spirit and nature to worship as one. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I am at a place where I find fault with Christianity because it does not provide tangible proof for which the entire foundation of Christianity is faith alone. The. other thing is why do Christian's maintain the Bible as god's word without questioning its contents. Case in point; homosexuality, if we believe god is the creator why punish that which was by. god? I think Paul was homophobic, either that or a negative reflection by biblical authors.

All I know about is Christianity, I would like to find a place of god, spirit and nature to worship as one. Any suggestions?
Paganism? I'm disillusioned with Christianity, too, and that's where I ended up.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It not a reason to be rude
I get defensive because people have been rude to me before about it, which I don't understand as it doesn't have anything to do with them. But yeah, I'm good. There's nowhere for me to go with Christianity and I'm sick of that sort of religion.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Why do Christians primarily follow Jesus instead of god? While god may be in the house, most prayers and worship services praise the good news of Jesus from the new testament. During my days at church I felt praying to Jesus was a waste of time there praying to god made better sense to me.
In Nicene Christianity, Jesus is God.

People repeat word for word scripture from the bible if it say pray this in my name and god will hear you. At the end prayer it is said, "in Jesus name" because the bible told me so.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. But when I engage in vocal prayer I usually open and close with the Sign of the Cross intoning the words: In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Christians are charged to live life as Jesus did. The bible states Jesus was a perfect man, without sin. How is that relevant today, knowing according to the. bible everyone has sinned and come short of god's glory?
Jesus was more than a perfect man. He is the Logos incarnate: God himself. John 1:1

Church and religions are in the business of providing godly services, prayer, support, worship and other activities. These things cost money so tithing is made by attendees and supporters to ensure the longevity and prosperity of the church and religion.
What is your point here? Churches have expenses.

Church leaders are ordinary men and women. They are not any different than you or me, so they do not deserve to be set on a pedestal, even though they may consider themselves better, holier etc.
The clergy by virtue of Holy Orders are entitled to a certain degree of respect. That said, Holy Orders do not make a deacon/priest/bishop more intrinsically holy as an individual than any given layman.

Audie

Veteran Member
I get defensive because people have been rude to me before, which I don't understand has it doesn't have anything to do with them. But yeah, I'm good. There's nowhere for me to go with Christianity and I'm sick of that sort of religion.
We tend to agree on things.
The need for any religion isnt one of them.
It was an honest q.
I don't think I've ever been rude to you.

But whatevs, I can avoid you.

Audie

Veteran Member
In Nicene Christianity, Jesus is God.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. But when I engage in vocal prayer I usually open and close with the Sign of the Cross intoning the words: In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Jesus was more than a perfect man. He is the Logos incarnate: God himself. John 1:1

What is your point here? Churches have expenses.

The clergy by virtue of Holy Orders are entitled to a certain degree of respect. That said, Holy Orders do not make a deacon/priest/bishop more intrinsically holy as an individual than any given layman.
Those respectful of others ought be shown
comparable respect.

Something they are pleased to call Holy Orders
gets them zero additional from me.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
  1. Why do Christians primarily follow Jesus instead of god? While god may be in the house, most prayers and worship services praise the good news of Jesus from the new testament. During my days at church I felt praying to Jesus was a waste of time there praying to god made better sense to me.
  2. People repeat word for word scripture from the bible if it say pray this in my name and god will hear you. At the end prayer it is said, "in Jesus name" because the bible told me so.
  3. Christians are charged to live life as Jesus did. The bible states Jesus was a perfect man, without sin. How is that relevant today, knowing according to the. bible everyone has sinned and come short of god's glory?
  4. Church and religions are in the business of providing godly services, prayer, support, worship and other activities. These things cost money so tithing is made by attendees and supporters to ensure the longevity and prosperity of the church and religion.
  5. Church leaders are ordinary men and women. They are not any different than you or me, so they do not deserve to be set on a pedestal, even though they may consider themselves better, holier etc.
I'm not sure what the issue is here or if there is something deeper.

1) If we see Jesus, we see the Father. Revelation speaks of people of all nations worshipping Jesus so I'm not sure if the Father has a problem with it. But you are always free to worship the Father... I do so regularly.
2) I'm sure obeying what is written isn't wrong. God encourages us to fulfill what is written. Even Jesus said to the enemy "It is written..." Should we discount what Jesus said?
3) Because the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ and he is our example.
4) I'm not sure it is as much as the longevity and prosperity of the church and religion as it is with dealing with our hearts through generosity. Apparently God had no problem with the act of faith since it was Him who instituted it.
5) I agree. Then again, sometimes the congregants think they are better and holier than the pastor or leaders. We shouldn't put anyone on the pedestal, it is true, except for God.