• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taken me a lifetime to believe as I do and I still have questions

Mr. Ed

Why do Christians primarily follow Jesus instead of god? While god may be in the house, most prayers and worship services praise the good news of Jesus from the new testament. During my days at church I felt praying to Jesus was a waste of time there praying to god made better sense to me.

People repeat word for word scripture from the bible if it say pray this in my name and god will hear you. At the end prayer it is said, "in Jesus name" because the bible told me so.

Christians are charged to live life as Jesus did. The bible states Jesus was a perfect man, without sin. How is that relevant today, knowing according to the. bible everyone has sinned and come short of god's glory?

Church and religions are in the business of providing godly services, prayer, support, worship and other activities. These things cost money so tithing is made by attendees and supporters to ensure the longevity and prosperity of the church and religion.

Church leaders are ordinary men and women. They are not any different than you or me, so they do not deserve to be set on a pedestal, even though they may consider themselves better, holier etc.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As a non-Christian I can't provide direct insights into these things but I will say that generally religion has become a very personal and individual matter. Each who affiliates with the some ten thousand Christian traditions might give you different answers to these questions. Each of these answers has the potential to inspire you and repulse you, get you thinking or get you shutting down. What do you hope to glean from the tales of others? How can it help you find your own path in the religious landscape and relating to all the beings we share this world with?

I didn't really think about things this way when I left Catholicism at a very young age, so I suppose such thoughts aren't needed to navigate your life's path. It is something I think about now, looking back. At some point one needs to focus less on deconstructing one's wrong path and constructing one's right path. Enjoy the journey, asking (too many?) questions along the way!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
praying to Jesus was a waste of time

Why do Christians primarily follow Jesus instead of god? While god may be in the house, most prayers and worship services praise the good news of Jesus from the new testament. During my days at church I felt praying to Jesus was a waste of time there praying to god made better sense to me.

People repeat word for word scripture from the bible if it say pray this in my name and god will hear you. At the end prayer it is said, "in Jesus name" because the bible told me so.

Christians are charged to live life as Jesus did. The bible states Jesus was a perfect man, without sin. How is that relevant today, knowing according to the. bible everyone has sinned and come short of god's glory?

Church and religions are in the business of providing godly services, prayer, support, worship and other activities. These things cost money so tithing is made by attendees and supporters to ensure the longevity and prosperity of the church and religion.

Church leaders are ordinary men and women. They are not any different than you or me, so they do not deserve to be set on a pedestal, even though they may consider themselves better, holier etc.
I agree with you here that praying to Jesus was a waste of time as Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah himself prayed to G-d the father and never claimed to be god in first person.

Regards

Audie

Veteran Member

Maybe...coz they don't like what God had
to say God as per OT is pretty harsh.

Slaughter children left n right, rules for slavery,
stoning of unmarried lovers...

Pretty tough act to follow.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think it just has to do with how different people conceptualize God in their minds.

The reality of God is impossible for us to comprehend. So many of us need to create some form of mental image that we can use to represent that unfathomable enigma to us. To give is something to hold in our mind's eye besides an unsolvable mega-mystery. For you, @Mr. Ed, that is "God" (proper). But for many others is Jesus, because they can identify with a God-man more easily. For still others it's the religious trapping; the Bible, the church, the experience of the mass, and the other rituals.

I don't guess it matters that much how we choose to conceptualize God in our minds, so long as we understand that these are just representations, and are not actually God.

RestlessSoul

Err, since Christians believe Jesus is God...

I'm not sure that's universally true, is it? Though it may be the official church doctrine, in Orthodox and Catholic theology. How about the many Protestant sects? I honestly don't know, but I think the question of the divine nature of Christ is unresolved in the hearts of many Christians, especially those who wear their faith loosely.

Trinitarianism implies a distinction between the Father, Son and Holy Ghost; and Christ prayed to the Father in the garden, and called out to Him in despair on the cross. The Jesus of the Gospels was no ordinary man, but he undoubtedly was a man, and as a man he prayed to God in his darkest moments.

Personally I do pray to Jesus, but then I also pray to the Virgin Mary, and I'm not entirely sure why. When I pray to God, that's like reaching out directly toward the source.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm not looking for parrots to mock me for the sake of repetition. I hope to grow and learn from people who actually give a damn their beliefs.
So your assumption is that I wish to mock
you and exhibit those other highly negative
other characteristics? Wny?

At a quick assessment I'd say you could
use yourself a brighter outlook, and if you
don't mind me commenting on spiritual
growth, a little more charitable attitude toward
a stranger who means you no harm.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure that's universally true, is it? Though it may be the official church doctrine, in Orthodox and Catholic theology. How about the many Protestant sects? I honestly don't know, but I think the question of the divine nature of Christ is unresolved in the hearts of many Christians, especially those who wear their faith loosely.

Trinitarianism implies a distinction between the Father, Son and Holy Ghost; and Christ prayed to the Father in the garden, and called out to Him in despair on the cross. The Jesus of the Gospels was no ordinary man, but he undoubtedly was a man, and as a man he prayed to God in his darkest moments.
In the overwhelming majority of Protestant churches Jesus is God. I'd say those who don't believe that are a minority that don't even tend to use the label 'Christian'. The OP is talking about Christians who focus on God, so I'm guessing their mainstream.

Orbit

I'm a planet
In the overwhelming majority of Protestant churches Jesus is God. I'd say those who don't believe that are a minority that don't even tend to use the label 'Christian'. The OP is talking about Christians who focus on God, so I'm guessing their mainstream.

Actually, Protestants will argue incessantly over whether "Jesus is God". Just because they are Trinitarian doesn't mean they agree with that statement. And then there are the "Oneness" denominations, who unequivocally reject the idea.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, Protestants will argue incessantly over whether "Jesus is God". Just because they are Trinitarian doesn't mean they agree with that statement. And then there are the "Oneness" denominations, who unequivocally reject the idea.
Uhhhh. This is false. Trinitarianism follows from belief that Jesus is God. I've never seen Protestants arguing over this.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Uhhhh. This is false. Trinitarianism follows from belief that Jesus is God. I've never seen Protestants arguing over this.

See my thread on this forum "Is Jesus God?". I think it went on for a bazillion pages. When I was a Presbyterian, I didn't believe that Jesus was God, though I did believe in the Trinity-- I thought the idea was silly. My mom, however, believed Jesus was God. But put it to the test--start another "Is Jesus God?" thread and see what you get.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
See my thread on this forum "Is Jesus God?". I think it went on for a bazillion pages. When I was a Presbyterian, I didn't believe that Jesus was God, though I did believe in the Trinity-- I thought the idea was silly. My mom, however, believed Jesus was God. But put it to the test--start another "Is Jesus God?" thread and see what you get.
RF is hardly representative of the general religious population. How can you believe in the Trinity without believing Jesus is God? That's the whole point of the doctrine. It loons like the Christians you know are heretics or don't know what they're talking about.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Orbit

I'm a planet
RF is hardly representative of the general religious population. How can you believe in the Trinity without believing Jesus is God? That's the whole point of the doctrine. It loons like the Christians you know are heretics or don't know what they're talking about.

Christians in the pews believe all kinds of things. They aren't theologians. Actual belief is more diverse than you think it is.