• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun created on fourth day ?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I dont know if its discussed earlier. Acc to Bible Sun is created on fourth day, As we know today that Day and night is due to Sun. What caused days and nights before Sun ? God was unaware of this phenomenon while writing or I am missing something ?

Ebionite

It doesn't say sun, it says great light. There wouldn't be a great light if the atmosphere was opaque at that time.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
I dont know if its discussed earlier. Acc to Bible Sun is created on fourth day, As we know today that Day and night is due to Sun. What caused days and nights before Sun ? God was unaware of this phenomenon while writing or I am missing something ?
There's a day and night of Brahman written in the books of sanatana dharma and those days and nights are something very different to the days and nights of this materialistic world. What does that mean, my friend ?

IMHO, there's NO need to challenge the sayings of any saint until one experience the top stage of spirituality, my friend :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Some people think god is a big giant light bulb.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't say sun, it says great light. There wouldn't be a great light if the atmosphere was opaque at that time.
It says two great lights, one to govern the day, one to govern the night. Most would conclude these great lights were the sun and moon.

Just so we're in context here:

Genesis 1:14-19
And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times,and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

What other light would God have created to govern the day if not the sun?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, you are missing something. Most Christians view this story as an allegory, not to be taken literally. Like most religious scripture, and like Homer's epics, it dates from several thousand years ago.

Ajax

And how do you explain that a) the first three days. each one had an evening and a morning and b) that on the fourth day God also created all the stars?

wellwisher

If we ignore, for the time being, the bias of the traditions and use established physics math, we can equate the time scale of the science version of creation, from the Big Bang, to the formation of first galaxies and the first generation stars, our second generation star called the sun and our solar system, then life, etc., to the biblical version of six days of creation within Genesis.

These things can be made to jive, if God's point of reference, was very very close to the speed of light. In such a reference, time is extremely dilated; Special Relativity where V=C-. This would allow so each day in the God reference, to be billions of years long in an earth reference. The relative nature of time and motion was first developed by Albert Einstein; Special Relativity.

You pointed out that an earth day is based on the relative motion of the earth and sun. However, neither the sun or earth were around for the first couple of days of Genesis. I took this paradox to be a hint; do not use the earth day as the God day. As you pointed out, the sun was not around at the beginning to be used as tangible reference. It would take modern science to able to point this out; age of the BB. Even science did not get the hint, due to its conditioned Atheist bias; fooled by ignoring the paradox hint.

I used to be an applied scientist, where one applies pure science, in this case, Relativity, to unique situations like this paradox. MY relativity and relative reference approach allows the math to add up on both sides, and resolve the mystery of the paradox. I dedicated my life to solve the mysteries of human knowledge. I discovered these need bridge theories to span polarizations of thought.

The only adjustment, from the POV of the Genesis God reference, is since the science steps, that sort of parallel the days of Genesis, take less and less time; from the early forming universe, the forming sun and earth, then life; 13 billion each years, to 5 billion earth years to about 1 billion earth years, the God reference could not have been static at close to the speed of light; C-. It would have had to be decreasing from close to the speed of light, until slow enough for God to become man. Then the earth reference; sun day and the God reference; the special relativity, both more closely match; God becomes man such as Jesus and the prophets.

I developed this theory in 1987. It was my first detective work bridging science and religion. I tried to publish in science but was plagiarized and my ideas used for other purposes. It was not the right time.

Ebionite

It says two great lights, one to govern the day, one to govern the night. Most would conclude these great lights were the sun and moon.
What most people conclude isn't relevant to how deity expresses things. Source and effect are different things.

Ebionite

And how do you explain that a) the first three days. each one had an evening and a morning and b) that on the fourth day God also created all the stars?
Evening and morning are still apparent on heavily overcast days when you can't see the sun. Obviously stars are not visible when it's cloudy. People often misunderstand the text because they think that the interpretation that they're reading is accurate.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Evening and morning are still apparent on heavily overcast days when you can't see the sun. Obviously stars are not visible when it's cloudy. People often misunderstand the text because they think that the interpretation that they're reading is accurate.
Do you imagine, then, that the sun has ceased to exist on overcast days?:facepalm:

Sir Joseph

The question is a fair one that any careful Bible reader would raise. Although some of the comments here allude to possible answers, I'll offer a simple, concise answer that's most consistent with the Bible - granted, from a waning Christian perspective that actually accepts the literal interpretation of Genesis.

There are over 20 Bible versus describing God as light, and Revelation interestingly describes the future new Jerusalem as needing no sun, since God will be the source of all light. If one believes the Bible means what it says, then the Genesis question has one simple answer. God was or supernaturally made the source of light on day 1, with the sun made on day 4. How were the days counted before the sun's creation? You don't need a sun to create days and nights; you just need a revolving planet and a light source - both of which were available on day 1.