• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek: DS 9 Netflix - S1 E19 A reflection of our times

ManSinha

I purposefully am posting this in the religious debates category even though it is (nominally) about a TV syndicated show

I do not post much anymore on RF but as I was (binge) watching DS9 on Netflix - I came across this episode which I thought was eerily similar to some of the debate that goes on here - "In the hands of the prophets"

From the episode - the Bajorans have their religious leaders called Vedeks - and believe in their prophets. One of the conservative leaders wants to change what is taught in schools as it pertains to the wormhole - when the teacher asks whether Evolution will be the next to be changed - she does not get an answer. What is also interesting is that conservative religious leader condemns scientific advances as being "soul-less" and the "work of the devil" -

As a contrast the Commander of the station - Sisko - explaining the situation to his son - points out (elegantly I thought) that "their faith is what kept them going when times were bad"

Turns out that the conservative religious leader is in a power struggle with a more liberal one to become the head of the order and the way she manipulates an employee to cause explosions and kill others - all the while proclaiming - "The Prophets demand sacrifices" and "You will be rewarded in the hereafter" - brought home to me the similarities of how some religious leaders preach

This show was made probably sometime in 1993 and yet almost three decades later we are still talking about such matters

Thought that was interesting

Last edited:

sealchan

I purposefully am posting this in the religious debates category even though it is (nominally) about a TV syndicated show

I do not post much anymore on RF but as I was (binge) watching DS9 on Netflix - I came across this episode which I thought was eerily similar to some of the debate that goes on here - "In the hands of the prophets"

From the episode - the Bajorans have their religious leaders called Vedeks - and believe in their prophets. One of the conservative leaders wants to change what is taught in schools as it pertains to the wormhole - when the teacher asks whether Evolution will be the next to be changed - she does not get an answer. What is also interesting is that conservative religious leader condemns scientific advances as being "soul-less" and the "work of the devil" -

Turns out that the conservative religious leader is in a power struggle with a more liberal one to become the head of the order and the way she manipulates an employee to cause explosions and kill others - all the while proclaiming - "The Prophets demand sacrifices" and "You will be rewarded in the hereafter" - brought home to me the similarities of how some religious leaders preach

This show was made probably sometime in 1993 and yet almost three decades later we are still talking about such matters

Hey, how timely! I too am watching the serious, but slowly. My wife and I are on Season 2 so we just saw that episode and the three that followed on as a four-part story arc.

That episode blazed through some great ideas about science vs literalistic belief and how political power corrupts the latter.

I also strongly approve of using modern movies and TV shows as topics for religious discussion as they have as much right as any other creative media to be a medium for addressing the topic.

I look forward to seeing how Captain Sisko evolves in his relationship to his role as "the Emissary" while he balances that with his role as representative of the Federation. It will be my first time seeing all the episodes...I previously had seen most of the episodes before.

I also just posted an OP in Theater on the latest Godzilla movie.

I see Star Trek as basically humanistic and divinity is always = more powerful than human alien species/technology. Major Kira is the "literalist" who has to face all the realities of her planet's politics and religion although she is more concerned with the politics and probably sees her religion as an important respite from the troubles of the world. Fortunately the "wormhole aliens" give literal, physical reality to much of the miraculous, prophetic and transcendental content in this series.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I watched the show for Nana Visitor.

Yes she is beautiful

download.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As a contrast the Commander of the station - Sisko - explaining the situation to his son - points out (elegantly I thought) that "their faith is what kept them going when times were bad"

That was definitely one of the better episodes of the series, although I thought seasons 1 and 2 were kind of hit and miss. But seasons 3 through 7 were quite good.

The interesting thing about this episode and the whole aspect of the Prophets is that the Federation officers generally referred to the same beings as "Wormhole Aliens," which is what they were. They really did exist in the story, although they still remained shrouded in mystery. So, there was no disagreement over their actual existence, but it was just how they interpreted it that led to the dispute.

But then, there were also other super powerful alien entities in the Trekverse, such as Q, the Organians, the Metrons, the Douwd, Trelane's race (who some believe might have been the Q).

It would be interesting to see what would happen if all these powerful entities faced each other. The Q vs. the Prophets - something like that. Or maybe a tag team with Q and Trelane on one side, and the Prophets and the Organians on another side, with the Douwd and the Pah-Wraiths to play the winner.

There was even a powerful character called "God" in the TNG episode "Justice," in which Wesley Crusher was almost executed for accidentally falling on some plants. That was a cool planet, where the scantily-clad local inhabitants would have sex at the drop of a hat - any hat. And their "God" was pretty cool with it.

On the other hand, the Klingons killed their gods, since they were more trouble than they were worth. But they still worshiped Kahless.

Shad

Veteran Member

Winn was created as a charlatan as a reflection of our history. That history is still relevant and repeat itself due religion itself and our own gullibility in believing it.

Watchmen

Premium Member
That was definitely one of the better episodes of the series, although I thought seasons 1 and 2 were kind of hit and miss. But seasons 3 through 7 were quite good.

The interesting thing about this episode and the whole aspect of the Prophets is that the Federation officers generally referred to the same beings as "Wormhole Aliens," which is what they were. They really did exist in the story, although they still remained shrouded in mystery. So, there was no disagreement over their actual existence, but it was just how they interpreted it that led to the dispute.

But then, there were also other super powerful alien entities in the Trekverse, such as Q, the Organians, the Metrons, the Douwd, Trelane's race (who some believe might have been the Q).

It would be interesting to see what would happen if all these powerful entities faced each other. The Q vs. the Prophets - something like that. Or maybe a tag team with Q and Trelane on one side, and the Prophets and the Organians on another side, with the Douwd and the Pah-Wraiths to play the winner.

There was even a powerful character called "God" in the TNG episode "Justice," in which Wesley Crusher was almost executed for accidentally falling on some plants. That was a cool planet, where the scantily-clad local inhabitants would have sex at the drop of a hat - any hat. And their "God" was pretty cool with it.

On the other hand, the Klingons killed their gods, since they were more trouble than they were worth. But they still worshiped Kahless.
Pretty sure the Q would wipe the floor with the Prophets.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I like the one wherein the crew and Picard are dealing with a powerful spirit entity
that wants to be left alone

that entity loved one woman who was killed in a senseless war

the spirit responded with genocide
he killed all of the species

and in grief and guilt put himself to solitary confinement
with only the reincarnated image of his lost love
for comfort

when Picard realized their intrusion and …….invasion of his privacy
Picard carefully conceded.....
We have no law for the scope of your crime

the crew left......leaving a warning buoy for all other ships to stay away

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The religious theme was a contuing theme of DS9. The last few episodes especially. It was one of the themes that I found interesting.

Working through the series now. I've always been a Trekkie but more into TNG and Voyager. DS9's themes are fascinating though, not only about faith/religion but also war.

sealchan

anyone recall the premiere episode of Star Trek

the item without capt Kirk

I just finished watching the original series...Captain Pike and first officer "Majel Barrett" as an unemotional woman and Mr. Spock as a more emotional and aggressive science officer.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I just finished watching the original series...Captain Pike and first officer "Majel Barrett" as an unemotional woman and Mr. Spock as a more emotional and aggressive science officer.
and you noticed the play on the word.....gods

sealchan

The Star Trek Universe has a great variety of god-like aliens to be sure.

Last edited: