• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standing, Sitting, Kneeling, Rolling on the Ground to the National Anthem

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
communities, the united states of america, and the anthem repesent "some" people they don't represent all the people.

actions speak louder than words. the flag has changed forms, the national anthem was created by a human, the united states is only as strong as it's people. to serve doesn't mean serving only those that look like us, believe like us, have the same socio-economic status like us.

communities don't have to agree on everything, true.

if jerking a flag up and down a pole rocks someone's world while singing songs of joy, more power to them. but a flag and a lullaby won't alleviate the suffering of those who are being wronged.

so if someone is interested more in jerking a rag up and down a pole knowing that people it represents are being wronged and continue to do so, they've lost sight of the idea even if they still got their eye on a flag.

we the people aren't we the privileged, those who take we the privileged are stroking their egos up and down on a pole.

Lets try this you have a Family You, Your wife and 6 kids all old enough to drive. You have only two cars. Your wife goes shopping with one and without asking your son takes the other. You had a doctors appointment and now you are going to be late. Do you have the right to be mad at your son. Will all father's be mad at there son. Should your wife take your side. Will your wife take your side.

You are all part of the same family there shouldn't be any discourse. The car is not even a symbol of the family it is just a tool. You may not get mad, but some families will. You wife may support you but some wives won't. All this could have been resolved if your son thought of the family first and asked before taking.

Communities are far more varied then families and as such have far more differing opinions on things and while we are a democracy and we can do a lot of things, if the majority of the community thinks what you did is wrong you will have a tough road ahead. If it is something trivial you are being stupid, especially if you have many other options.

A rich football player with 24 hour media coverage and millions of dollars to give away had many other options. It was not even a successful protest until Donald Trump got involved.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Lets try this you have a Family You, Your wife and 6 kids all old enough to drive. You have only two cars. Your wife goes shopping with one and without asking your son takes the other. You had a doctors appointment and now you are going to be late. Do you have the right to be mad at your son. Will all father's be mad at there son. Should your wife take your side. Will your wife take your side.

i'll go with the other option. have the whole family stand and sing the family song while staring at the family crest placed strategically on a pole.

You are all part of the same family there shouldn't be any discourse. The car is not even a symbol of the family it is just a tool. You may not get mad, but some families will. You wife may support you but some wives won't. All this could have been resolved if your son thought of the family first and asked before taking.

Communities are far more varied then families and as such have far more differing opinions on things and while we are a democracy and we can do a lot of things, if the majority of the community thinks what you did is wrong you will have a tough road ahead. If it is something trivial you are being stupid, especially if you have many other options.

A rich football player with 24 hour media coverage and millions of dollars to give away had many other options. It was not even a successful protest until Donald Trump got involved.

i get it. i really do. a bull has to sh!t. everyone does. but does it have to sh!t everywhere, on everything, and everyone?

someone was eventually going to cry foul. that started the whole world laughing.

its not so mundane until it happens to you, or yours.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
From the OP's article:
Before 2009, teams would generally wait out the national anthem in the locker room. While it is not clear why the change was made, it's noteworthy that the military has a history of paying the NFL for sponsored acts of patriotism, and it's possible this may have had some influence on the perpetuation of the practice.

And that is why we have overly patriotic fans who get their panties in a twist, acting like snowflakes, because they want their flag respected above anything else.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From the OP's article:
Before 2009, teams would generally wait out the national anthem in the locker room. While it is not clear why the change was made, it's noteworthy that the military has a history of paying the NFL for sponsored acts of patriotism, and it's possible this may have had some influence on the perpetuation of the practice.

And that is why we have overly patriotic fans who get their panties in a twist, acting like snowflakes, because they want their flag respected above anything else.
And have a fixed idea about what constitutes respect ignoring that others have a different idea.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I guess I owe Trump a vote of gratitude for making an issue of this.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I guess I owe Trump a vote of gratitude for making an issue of this.

Quite in Fact Trump has brought many issue's simmering in the background to the forefront. John Oliver actually stated, paraphrasing. Trumps keeps accomplishing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

esmith

Veteran Member
Aye....just yesterday I recall Ben Afleck was a darling of the left.
Now he's a boob honking reprobate.
(I love it!)
Yeah, didn't I hear about another darling of the left, including the Clinton's and Obama's, having some problems. Not sure but I think his name was Weinstein and he fled to Europe; maybe that was he went to Europe for rehab vice fled

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yeah, didn't I hear about another darling of the left, including the Clinton's and Obama's, having some problems. Not sure but I think his name was Weinstein and he fled to Europe; maybe that was he went to Europe for rehab vice fled
Weinstein went to Europe?

I notice your silence on Bill O'Reilly, Eric Bolling, Roger Ailes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just for information I case someone else clicks looking for it.
Cornell Law School US codes 301a and 301b, 301a was created March 3 1931.
(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A)
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B)
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C)
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2)
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Based on the law unless you are at the event you do not have to stand.
According to the law, even if you are there you don't have to stand. "Should" does not mean "must." And scornful looks and angry people are that's going to happen if you don't "properly respect the flag" during the anthem (I actually know, from experience, long before this NFL thing). Talk during it, sit, go on a rant, legally there is nothing that can be brought against you.
It is legal to burn the American Flag it is the only way to dispose of it. I have been to several burning ceremonies with the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts of America.
It is legal to burn it for any reason you want, including protest. Something every good citizen should do to remind themselves that the power is ultimately in their hands (and put things in perspective that it's a piece of cloth for f's sake).
And, ultimately, it is just a silly piece of cloth. A material item that can be destroyed. It only has as much power and sacredness as you're willing to invest it in. Pompous and glamorized rituals don't even uphold the values it represents, but often is used to repress those values.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
According to the law, even if you are there you don't have to stand. "Should" does not mean "must." And scornful looks and angry people are that's going to happen if you don't "properly respect the flag" during the anthem (I actually know, from experience, long before this NFL thing). Talk during it, sit, go on a rant, legally there is nothing that can be brought against you.

It is legal to burn it for any reason you want, including protest. Something every good citizen should do to remind themselves that the power is ultimately in their hands (and put things in perspective that it's a piece of cloth for f's sake).
And, ultimately, it is just a silly piece of cloth. A material item that can be destroyed. It only has as much power and sacredness as you're willing to invest it in. Pompous and glamorized rituals don't even uphold the values it represents, but often is used to repress those values.

The point he made was that why don't people stand at home or in bar's. I would also argue that if you can't see the band or the flag and also if it is taped you don't have to stand.

On the burning of the flag. In other threads and possibly this one yes it is legal to burn the flag but it is far better to use the flag to unite people. It is just a piece of cloth but a lot of people value it. The best protests carry the flag and sing inclusive songs to get Americans to see them as fellow brothers. Burning the flag makes a divisive statement to the majority. You may not agree with the majority but getting them to see you as a part of them makes things far easier. I am a manipulator though, not all people understand manipulation.

See any photo with Martin Luther King Jr.

http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/5/42213.jpg