• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff Announcement: The Forum Lag

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Ah .. I thought it was only me .. that I was being 'discouraged' ;)
..I'm probably being paranoid.
I played around with the demo site thing for xenoforo and there is an actual option to discourage folk. As in clicking discourage would cause that user to experience random glitches and site failures. But I don't think the staff would use something like that. Doesn't seem to be their style. Maybe if there was someone trolling and kept using different accounts. But not on the regular as there's better options to getting rid of trolls and misbehaving users using xenoforo.

I also think but am not sure that doing that requires using the backend but I can't remember for sure. The admins and mods don't have access to that.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I played around with the demo site thing for xenoforo and there is an actual option to discourage folk. As in clicking discourage would cause that user to experience random glitches and site failures. But I don't think the staff would use something like that. Doesn't seem to be their style. Maybe if there was someone trolling and kept using different accounts. But not on the regular as there's better options to getting rid of trolls and misbehaving users using xenoforo.
You are correct, we have more efficient and direct methods for dealing with such.
I also think but am not sure that doing that requires using the backend but I can't remember for sure. The admins and mods don't have access to that.
Also correct. (Which is why staff and admins alone can't fix all of the site's problems.)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Don't trust anyone under 30.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Actually we do have a tool that discourages trolls and mishbehaving users...

images

The jury is still out on which of us is worthy...

VoidCat

Actually we do have a tool that discourages trolls and mishbehaving users...

images

The jury is still out on which of us is worthy...

Works a lot better then the discouraged tool

Speaking of which i found the screenshot I made of the discouraged tool a long while back it does seem to be in the backend again tho I don't remember if it is and dont want to open up another demo site preview thingy. But it does look to be there
Screenshot_2024-01-29-08-32-48.png

Banhammer is much more effective tho why discourage and have the user stick around when you can just ban them and not have to deal with them? That's why I don't see why staff would use that tool if it was a forum that didn't do bans I could see it but not here.

VoidCat

That is so awesome if I were the proprietor of a big forum I would make use of that!
I wouldn't. I can only see one good use of it that ethical and thats if someone continuously makes accounts trolling and keeps coming back after you ban them with other accounts. But you can ip ban even with multiple ips on one user account. So i see no reason it would be a tool to be used. They keep coming back just ban why let them stick around if you want them gone that badly

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Works a lot better then the discouraged tool

Speaking of which i found the screenshot I made of the discouraged tool a long while back it does seem to be in the backend again tho I don't remember if it is and dont want to open up another demo site preview thingy. But it does look to be there
View attachment 89968

Banhammer is much more effective tho why discourage and have the user stick around when you can just ban them and not have to deal with them? That's why I don't see why staff would use that tool if it was a forum that didn't do bans I could see it but not here.
In all seriousness, we have a system in place where, in other than extreme circumstances, we give members an opportunity to correct their course before issuing a ban. We don't play members with any sort of "discourage" option. The staff are completely transparent with the member on any concerns and the corrective action needed to avoid revocation of posting privileges. We hand out the rope and afford members a choice on what they would like to do with it.

VoidCat

In all seriousness, we have a system in place where, in other than extreme circumstances, we give members an opportunity to correct their course before issuing a ban. We don't play with members with any sort of "discourage" option. The staff are completely transparent with the member on any concerns and the corrective action needed to avoid revocation of posting privileges. We hand out the rope and afford members a choice on what they would like to do with it.
Yep. Figured as much.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In all seriousness, we have a system in place where, in other than extreme circumstances, we give members an opportunity to correct their course before issuing a ban. We don't play members with any sort of "discourage" option. The staff are completely transparent with the member on any concerns and the corrective action needed to avoid revocation of posting privileges. We hand out the rope and afford members a choice on what they would like to do with it.
I dunno about completely transparent.

It would be nice to disclose banned members rather than keeping it a secret from other people.

If a person is banned , members and guests should know publicly who is banned. Either a tag stating such or just a line through the moniker.