• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual but not religious

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a forum specifically for those who identify as SBNA?

"About a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) now say they think of themselves as spiritual but not religious" - More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious.

info: Spiritual but not religious - Wikipedia.

Does the forum exist and I just missed it? How many here identify as SBNA?

Thanks!

By "forum," do you mean a DIR? Because one who is SBNR can post in practically any forum under "Religious Topics" aside from the obvious.

If you did mean a DIR, I think New Religious Movements DIR or Other Religious Movements and Practices DIR would be acceptable. But no, we don't have one specifically named Spiritual But Not Religious.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
By "forum," do you mean a DIR? Because one who is SBNR can post in practically any forum under "Religious Topics" aside from the obvious.

If you did mean a DIR, I think New Religious Movements DIR or Other Religious Movements and Practices DIR would be acceptable.

Yes, we can post anywhere, but it might be nice to have our own little spot. I'm not sure that SBNR is a new movement, seems like it could also be classified as the oldest spiritual movement? I'm not sure where it would best fit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, we can post anywhere, but it might be nice to have our own little spot. I'm not sure that SBNR is a new movement, seems like it could also be classified as the oldest spiritual movement? I'm not sure where it would best fit.

I'll tell you what. I'll bring your idea (no pun intended) before the staff and see what it brings. :)

idea

Question Everything
Nice article, I just realized that there's such beliefs.

I searched for a long time, tried so hard to make organized religion work, and have finally found my home within SBNR :)

"Spirituality does not come from religion. It comes from our soul. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations, and rituals created by humans, which were supposed to help people spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as given by the Most High. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other. " - Selassie

1053917-Ron-Perlman-Quote-I-m-not-religious-but-I-am-spiritual-I-have-my.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member

"About a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) now say they think of themselves as spiritual but not religious" - More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious.

Thanks!
We aren't generally that rigid, here, in defining ourselves. But I would say that you are definitely not alone in this self-designation. I am a non-religious Christian Taoist. Meaning that I am philosophically aligned with both Christianity and Taoism, but not with the religious dogmas that may accompany then.

idea

Question Everything
We aren't generally that rigid, here, in defining ourselves. But I would say that you are definitely not alone in this self-designation. I am a non-religious Christian Taoist. Meaning that I am philosophically aligned with both Christianity and Taoism, but not with the religious dogmas that may accompany then.

Everyone loves labels and titles, "what religion are you?" is a common question. I love replying with SBNR, then if anyone is interested, having a longer conversation about what it means to find spirituality that is not attached to any dogmas or specific groups :)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't fall under any religion, but I'm definitely spiritual. I seriously question that the source is divine, though I clearly see the nature of divinity.

I don't sense an Omni God.

My SBNR does not foresee a God exists.

I do sometimes make the mistake of calling myself religious but I follow no dogma, nor do I find any scripture that makes sense to me.

I gave up on arguing religious points with people. SBNR allows me the freedom of questioning, honesty, awe, wonder, and divine pursuit whereas I can just be me, and I don't have to force fit anything into my ways. I can just be me.

But most of all SBNR allows me not to falsely condemn people. Redemption is for everybody that needs it. Redemption comes from getting what we deserve. And human judgment is not in position to judge anything more than actions, and future possibilities.

I'm not opposed to finding the Divine though if there is good reason that makes sense within the realm of nature and experience.

Belief, and faith as a requirement makes no sense to me.

People in religion can be very honest in there practices, but I find little agreeance.

An SBNR forum is a great idea!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Thanks!

I read the reference, its OK, but personally I do not believe the distinction can be made. Simply those who chose it make up their own religion. If you had an exclusive section here for your beliefs it becomes definable as a religion of 'spiritual but not religious.'

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Religion to me is exoteric. By which I mean there rites and ceremonies of some sort associated with it.

Spirituality is esoteric. By which I mean - inner. Religions can contain spiritual elements an example being Christianity "the kingdom of God is within you".

If someone finds meaning in a religion, wonderful. I don't have any negative feelings to religion in general but don't get me started on fanaticism which comes with an urge to make everyone else believe and act according to a religion's rules.

What I find meaning is in the spiritual dimension.

idea

Question Everything
I read the reference, its OK, but personally I do not believe the distinction can be made. Simply those who chose it make up their own religion. If you had an exclusive section here for your beliefs it becomes definable as a religion of 'spiritual but not religious.'

You could say everyone makes up their own religion. Some prefer to live on borrowed light, while others prefer to be self-reliant haha. The Baha'i Faith has some beautiful things in it - trying to combine multiple sets of scriptures, as do the Unitarians whom I strongly considered for some time. I think many SBNR's research different groups, and come out with some combination of all the above. For me, it is not about following any single person or group, it is about following the laws of nature and principles. As a teacher I tell my students not to believe me - to believe their own experimental results, believe their own proofs and logic. As new information becomes available, discard old beliefs for new. I do not see it as prideful, or "my own beliefs", it is following natural laws, following what makes sense.

idea

Question Everything
Religion to me is exoteric. By which I mean there rites and ceremonies of some sort associated with it.

Spirituality is esoteric. By which I mean - inner. Religions can contain spiritual elements an example being Christianity "the kingdom of God is within you".

If someone finds meaning in a religion, wonderful. I don't have any negative feelings to religion in general but don't get me started on fanaticism which comes with an urge to make everyone else believe and act according to a religion's rules.

What I find meaning is in the spiritual dimension.

I do love the holidays - seeing lights up, songs, traditions, all things linked to childhood memories and happy times of togetherness. For me, going to a concert, or a good movie - riding bikes, or hiking with a group of people, conversations over a good dinner or bonfire - these types of things are spiritually binding and uplifting.

No anger towards religious groups, like graduating high school. That was a phase of my life, good memories, and now I've entered a new season.

idea

Question Everything
By nature spirituality requires absolute faith (religon), even if you dont know what it means, or its divine purpose.

I do think the words spiritual and religious have slightly changed in meaning over the year. I see spiritual as anything which is personally sacred - for instance, a certain place for me could have memories of grandparents who are now passed away. For me, that place would be spiritual and sacred, while others with no personal memories there it is just an old house or another hiking trail. the values and meanings of things depend on each individual's life experiences. The meaning of family, or health, or tradition - all unique. Many religious traditions define God as a creator of nature - the diversity of nature, that each leaf on each tree is unique and different - to me the awe and infinite beauty comes within the diversity. Outside of any single group, I just think there is a little more to see and experience although I do agree that strongly knit communities are beautiful as well.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Everyone loves labels and titles, "what religion are you?" is a common question. I love replying with SBNR, then if anyone is interested, having a longer conversation about what it means to find spirituality that is not attached to any dogmas or specific groups :)

This is quite interesting to me as one who identifies with a specific group who all subscribe to the same beliefs and practices in a global brotherhood.

For those who think of themselves as “spiritual”....what does that actually mean in real terms?

I think we know what it means to be “religious” because those who identify as belonging to a particular group, have a range of beliefs and practices to which most happily subscribe.....the “label wearers” if you like. But for a good many of those, it’s very much a pick and choose arrangement because they don’t support their denomination’s dogmas wholeheartedly. They will practice their religion but only the parts that they find acceptable....or they will uphold their religion’s actions even if it goes contrary to what the Bible teaches.

When we (JW’s) engage in our door to door work, seeking to find individuals who are “spiritual” but not necessarily “religious”, we have those who tell us...”I have my own religion”.....and some really mean it. Their religion is their very own...a concoction of various beliefs gleaned from a variety of religious sources. A bit like “shopping” in “the great celestial supermarket” and they have filled their basket with what appeals to them.
But, is that OK with God? Or only OK with the individual ‘shoppers’, who are now happy to have their own ‘denomination’ or ‘label’? :shrug:

In the big scheme of things, if there is one God (the Creator of all things)...and one truth contained in a written guidebook....(about our existence here and God’s requirements for us)....does it matter what we personally want to believe and practice, if it’s not what the true God requires?

Are those who identify as “spiritual but not religious” rebelling against any form of personal constraint in the expression of their inherent ‘spirituality’? Is it entirely selfish?...and ultimately meaningless to anyone apart from the one who embraces it?

In my belief system, it matters more about what God requires of us, more so than what we require of God, or what our personal preferences are. To us, this is what separates ‘the sheep from the goats’.

There are those I call the “fence sitters” who have an imagined place where they will wait and see what goes down and hopefully jump the right way when it all comes down to the wire. Those who are on the Abrahamic fringe, have a feeling that it must all come to a head, because that is what the Bible indicates.....a time of judgment......but rather than there being a fence to sit on, God actually requires a decision before that judgment day takes place. That means that the fence does not actually exist.

If that is the case and the SBNR adherents have not chosen a definite position regarding how their spirituality will be exercised, or what god they actually believe in, where do you believe that leaves you? Is it something that even enters your consciousness?