• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues

Muffled

Jesus in me
That Wikipedia page is pretty good at explaining why glossolalia is not considered a genuine human language. When I was an assistant professor of linguistics, we occasionally got calls from local groups about this. In one case, someone sent us a tape asking to identify the language being spoken. It was clearly not a real language, but a stream of nonsense syllables.

Every human language has a limited set of basic speech sounds called "phonemes". English has about 43 phonemes, but the inventory of sounds can vary. When you listen to English-based glossolalia, what you hear is a string of syllables comprised of two types of speech sounds--English phonemes and sounds that English speakers typically associate with a foreign accent (e.g. trilled "r"). What you almost never hear are some of the more exotic speech sounds that characterize real foreign languages--clicks, imploded stops, glottalized stops, pitch stress, tone differences, etc. In other words, the stream of syllables produced is exactly what you would expect if the speaker were making it all up and did not know much about what foreign languages are really like.

Now, Klingon--that is more authentic "speaking in tongues". :D

I once asked a linguist what the meaning of the Russian word aprunsenov meant. At least it sounded Russian to me. Later I realized that it was simply the acronymn that I used to remember the months with thirty days: April June September and November.

Commoner

Headache
I once asked a linguist what the meaning of the Russian word aprunsenov meant. At least it sounded Russian to me. Later I realized that it was simply the acronymn that I used to remember the months with thirty days: April June September and November.

Don't you know the knuckle trick? :D
300px-Month_-_Knuckles_%28en%29.svg.png

Ozzie

So, I am curious to hear everyones ideas on the phenomenon of speaking in tongues. Growing up, I saw this happen in several different circumstances, from visiting at my cousin's Pentacostal church, to watching Robert Tilton on television.
[youtube]bU9lZD7qB7s[/youtube]
YouTube - That's Singing in Tongues

I have some definite opinions on the subject, and I would like to hear others opinions as well.
your a mother ******* **** of a ****** whadoo. There you go, I'm speaking in tongues.

gnostic

The Lost One
muffled said:
It is wild speculation to say that God or Heaven has its own language.

Of course it is speculation. And wild one at that. I wouldn't presume otherwise.

I, for one, don't know if there is really such that god exist, let alone heaven. It's purely conjecturing. Just as I speculating that might be language that heaven or hell speak. I am only basing on what I know or don't know on some ancient and superstitious books, written by those who claim to know god, directly or indirectly.

They would have to speak the same language to understand each other. However there is no implication as to what that language was. Job is one of the oldest books of the Bible. The Hebrew is so old that some of the words are not translatable because no-one knows their meaning.

Just because the Hebrew is old and untranslatable in Job, doesn't mean those words were not Hebrew. What doesn't translate may be those words that had fallen into disuse, and only those people who lived in that time, know the meaning of those words.

The hieroglyphs of ancient Egypt was long forgotten, until the Rosetta Stone was found, with hieroglyphs, demotic and ancient Greek written, which made it possible to read hieroglyphs, and translated into English or other modern languages. Some words are still untranslatable.

There are numbers of words that are not translatable, in Sumerian or Ugarit cuneiforms, Etruscan alphabets, Minoan/Mycenaean Linear B. There is even older Minoan scripting language than Linear B, which they called Linear A, that have not be deciphered.

What are you suggesting? That the untranslatable words in Job to be not Hebrew? Some sorts of alien or divine words? What does this have to do with Speaking in Tongues?

Last edited:

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
I suggest that you allow the experts to study this spiritual phenomena beyond religious bias. Please watch and listen as Dr. Andrew Newberg explains why speaking in tongues does silence our frontal lobes and differs from other religious trance and meditations done by Buddhists priest and Fransciscan sisters. Yes, speaking in tongues is a personal thing between the believer and God. Unless atheists people acknowledge the existence of God then they will not start to have faith to believe in the impossible.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Heb. 11:6

I hope our atheists friends here will start seeking God, come to Him by faith, and believe that He truly exist.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I suggest that you allow the experts to study this spiritual phenomena beyond religious bias. Please watch and listen as Dr. Andrew Newberg explains why speaking in tongues does silence our frontal lobes and differs from other religious trance and meditations done by Buddhists priest and Fransciscan sisters. Yes, speaking in tongues is a personal thing between the believer and God. Unless atheists people acknowledge the existence of God then they will not start to have faith to believe in the impossible.
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Heb. 11:6
I hope our atheists friends here will start seeking God, come to Him by faith, and believe that He truly exist.

According to Acts [2vs6-11] the 'Bible tongues' is being able to instantly communicate in another's mother tongue [foreign language] in order to teach another quickly or easily in their own language [tongue] the good news of God's kingdom.

That 'gift' ended with the apostles.

elmarna

speaking in tounges is suppose to be when 1 is filled with the wholly spirit & talks in the language of angels.
a true story i know is of a man from africa visited one of these churches & went screaming out of it because the woman [who was not african] a american white woman. She was speaking nothing but blasfamy of god in his native tounge!!!!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
speaking in tounges is suppose to be when 1 is filled with the wholly spirit & talks in the language of angels.
a true story i know is of a man from africa visited one of these churches & went screaming out of it because the woman [who was not african] a american white woman. She was speaking nothing but blasfamy of god in his native tounge!!!!

Where does that idea of speaking in the 'language of angels' come from?

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Growing up it used to be embarrassing going to church seeing people speak gibberish. In predominantly black churches "cataching the holy ghost" was always funny. I.always thought church was comical than a learning experience since people who act like they are filled with the holy ghost speak as if they are revertin back to baby speak.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
That's funny.

MurphtheSurf

So, I am curious to hear everyones ideas on the phenomenon of speaking in tongues. Growing up, I saw this happen in several different circumstances, from visiting at my cousin's Pentacostal church, to watching Robert Tilton on television.
[youtube]bU9lZD7qB7s[/youtube]
YouTube - That's Singing in Tongues

I have some definite opinions on the subject, and I would like to hear others opinions as well.

I watched 18 seconds of that video, just long enough to confirm that this guy is a con artist of the lowest order. That is all I could stand.
Speaking in "tongues" was nothing more than the gift of holy spirit so that the disciples could witness about Jesus during the festival of Pentecost where many foriegn Jewish proselytes that spoke many different languages gathered every year.
Speaking foriegn earthly languages, and not incoherent gibberish, nothing more, nothing less.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I watched 18 seconds of that video, just long enough to confirm that this guy is a con artist of the lowest order. That is all I could stand.
Speaking in "tongues" was nothing more than the gift of holy spirit so that the disciples could witness about Jesus during the festival of Pentecost where many foriegn Jewish proselytes that spoke many different languages gathered every year.
Speaking foriegn earthly languages, and not incoherent gibberish, nothing more, nothing less.

I completely agree!