• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six Dr. Seuss Books Will Stop Being Published Because of Racist Imagery

We Never Know

No Slack
When I started seeing conservatives getting worked up about the gender of a plastic potato is when I got a new appreciation for just how far off the deep end they had gone.

Mr Clean, Mr Peanut, Mrs Dash, Mr Coffee, and Mrs Smith better lay low because they will probably be next

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Mr Clean, Mr Peanut, Mrs Dash, Mr Coffee, and Mrs Smith better lay low because they will probably be next
The most ridiculous part of all this is that Mr. Potato Head isn't going anywhere himself.

Hasbro is rolling out a bunch of new "Potato Head" toys (Baby Potato Head, Potato Head Family, etc.), so they've changed the overall brand from "Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head" to just "Potato Head," but within the Potato Head brand, there will still be a Mr. Potato Head and a Mrs. Potato Head.

Mr. Potato Head Brand Update

... so the thing that the right wingers are all worked up about isn't even happening. It's all kinda ridiculous, though I much prefer them focusing their attention on stuff like this than staging another putsch.

Edit: but as far as Mr. Peanut goes... anthromorphic food spokespeople trying to convince humans to eat their kin has always been a bit unsettling to me. It's never made me want to buy their products.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A man goes to the toy store and looks for a Barbie Doll for his daughter. There's "Surfing Barbie" for $39.95; "Race-Car Barbie" for $39.95; "Bowling Barbie" for $39.95; and "Divorced Barbie" for $399.95.

He take the latter to the counter and says "This must be marked wrong", but the clerk say "No, it's right". "Why?" says the man, and she says "Because 'Divorced Barbie' comes with Ken's house, Ken's car, Ken's boat, ...".

We Never Know

No Slack
The most ridiculous part of all this is that Mr. Potato Head isn't going anywhere himself.

Hasbro is rolling out a bunch of new "Potato Head" toys (Baby Potato Head, Potato Head Family, etc.), so they've changed the overall brand from "Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head" to just "Potato Head," but within the Potato Head brand, there will still be a Mr. Potato Head and a Mrs. Potato Head.

Mr. Potato Head Brand Update

... so the thing that the right wingers are all worked up about isn't even happening. It's all kinda ridiculous, though I much prefer them focusing their attention on stuff like this than staging another putsch.

Edit: but as far as Mr. Peanut goes... anthromorphic food spokespeople trying to convince humans to eat their kin has always been a bit unsettling to me. It's never made me want to buy their products.

Uncle Ben's rice didn't go anywhere either. Its name was changed to Ben's Original to appease people.

Aunt Jemima syrup didn't go any where either. Its name was changed to Pearl Milling Company to appease people.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
Dr. Seuss: Stepdaughter says author not racist, book sales spike
Sales for popular Dr. Seuss titles have soared on Amazon and Barnes and Noble following the announcement that six of the children's book author's titles are no longer being sold because of racist and insensitive imagery.

Dr. Seuss books including "The Cat in The Hat," "Oh, The Places You'll Go" and "Green Eggs and Ham" made up nine of both Amazon's and Barnes and Noble's top 10 best-seller lists as of Thursday morning.

The six books that Dr. Seuss Enterprises discontinued are: “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” “If I Ran the Zoo,” “McElligot’s Pool,” “On Beyond Zebra!,” “Scrambled Eggs Super!,” and “The Cat’s Quizzer.” None of them are currently available for sale from either retailer online or the official Dr. Seuss website.

On Tuesday, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy, announced it would cease sales of these books.

“These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,” Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement that coincided with the late author and illustrator’s birthday.

The news has undoubtedly launched Dr. Seuss books back into the cultural conversation, though Read Across America Day, which also coincides with Dr. Seuss' birthday, usually leads to a renewed interest in his books and a yearly appearance on the USA TODAY Best-Selling Book list as well.

Seuss' stepdaughter, Lark Grey Dimond-Cates, told the New York Post on Tuesday there "wasn’t a racist bone in that man’s body," but acknowledged she thought it was a "wise" choice "in this day and age." She said Dr. Seuss Enterprises informed her Monday of the decision.

"He was so acutely aware of the world around him and cared so much,’’ Dimond-Cates said. “I think this is a world that right now is in pain, and we’ve all got to be very gentle and thoughtful and kind with each other."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Uncle Ben's rice didn't go anywhere either. Its name was changed to Ben's Original to appease people.

Aunt Jemima syrup didn't go any where either. Its name was changed to Pearl Milling Company to appease people.
With the Potato Heads, there's no "appeasement" going on at all. Did you read my post?

pearl

Once again context is everything. Its the pictures that clarify the meaning of the story.
Even the innocuous can sound ominous when taken out of context:

I’ll run around and yell and yell.
Next Saturday I’ll yell my head off.
I’ll blow horns. I’ll blow and blow.
Next Saturday I’ll blow my head off.

No one is going to stop me next Saturday.

The word “horn” is a clue here — when the boy describes how he plans to “blow his head off,” his words are set against a photograph showing him trying to muster enough air in his lungs to play a tuba:
The 'Banned' Book of Dr. Seuss | Fact Check from Snopes.com

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
One thing that always makes me curious is the turn of phrase of things "going too far", as if we would have to expect some terrible catastrophe if corporations ever presented as too woke and too anti-racist.

What do you guys think about this? What negative consequences should we expect if people went "too far" in their overzealous dislike of racist imagery?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I used those more as a metaphor. In my opinion things are getting out of hand.

I'm mixed race so I can call my friends n****r and its fine but no other race can use it without being racist. Don't tell me its because its a friendship term among us because we even call that to people we despise.

Uncle Ben Rice. He was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. It made him famous

No more "Mr Potato Head" in order to be more inclusive and so all could feel “welcome in the Potato Head world.

They also made a "Mrs Potato Head". Don't want a Mr, buy the Mrs.

Etc
The potato head "controversy" is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard in my life.
So they're just going with a "unisex" potato person (as if potato people even have genders or sexes??) so they can just throw all the parts together into one box or whatever.

What a bizarre thing to get all bent out of shape about.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No doubt.

Dr Seuss books have been around since 1931.

This is the only generation that suddenly has a problem with it?

Makes me wonder what's next with cancel culture.
This has nothing to do with cancel culture. Nobody/nothing has been cancelled. There was no big clamouring for this or anything.
Dr. Seuss' estate just decided not to print them anymore. That's their right, as the owners of the books.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I think most people realize that the books portray caricature, meaning exaggeration and humor.

Doing so like Chinese eyes and pygmy grass skirts is not racism. None of the characters were hated or loathed at which would be the point of racism if they were.

It's just the opposite. They were beloved characters in a Dr Seuss book.

Anyone who thinks Seuss was racist needs their head examined by Horton the Who.
Have you seen his comics?

Untitled Document
Did Dr. Seuss Draw Racist Cartoons?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nothing has been banned.

His estate is just going to stop publishing those particular books.
If you already have the books, or find them somewhere to purchase, you can keep them - nobody is going to come take them away from you.
They already stopped... last year. All the people like @We Never Know who are all worked up about it now didn't even notice until last week when the company mentioned it.

They're looking for an excuse to be offended.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Apparently this looks like contracted ad work for Flit.

I'm not under the impression that Seuss had a personal investment in the blackface ads cartoon but rather as contracted work, it dosent really mention weither Seuss was racist or not. Those type of cartoons and inflections were common back in that era. His employment at Judge was 6 months from what I read on the subject.