• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six Dr. Seuss Books Will Stop Being Published Because of Racist Imagery

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I still remember back when it was standard to disclose race on a job application.
The Michigan state business census even required
us to state our religion. This was under threat of
prosecution & imprisonment. Fortunately, they sent
the notice out by ordinary mail, & mine 'accidentally'
got thrown into the circular file.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It matters not my good man, that your offended by me, obscene or keen, that any patent has on green, I will continue to sing I am I am, my continued singing of Green Eggs and Ham.
Ah, so what will it take?

Oh yes what can we do??

How to reform this most Twilighted Hue??

Why we'll patiently re-educate him of course!!

(And if that doesn't work, well we'll have to use force . . .)

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't like censorship, with some rare exceptions, and this is not one of them. Instead, I would prefer using them as a teaching device to show how attitudes towards race have largely changed over several decades.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
We'll need to ban Mark Twain, Shakespeare, Joseph Heller,
Martin Cruz Smith, Richard Wright, I.M. Tubby & so very many
others whose works include stereotypes of various races,
nationalities, genders, etc. Oh, the Bible & Koran will have to go.
What will we be left with?
I can think of only...
everyone-poops-266x300.png

Yep and NY Times needs to be boycotted/cancelled too. Did you read what they wrote about Jack Johnson, the late, great boxer from TX?

Missed in Coverage of Jack Johnson, the Racism Around Him (Published 2018)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ah, so what will it take?

Oh yes what can we do??

How to reform this most Twilighted Hue??

Why we'll patiently re-educate him of course!!

(And if that doesn't work, well we'll have to use force)
Use all your force with a horse of course, reform will only make my singing slightly worse for worse , and take all your time in your school patiently educating this Twilight Hue.

It matters not my good man, that your offended by me, obscene or keen, that any patent has on green, I will continue to sing I am I am, my continued singing of Green Eggs and Ham.

I'm still singing Green Eggs and Ham. I don't care what people say or think about that sir or ma'am. I am I am. Going to sing Green Eggs and Ham.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I loathe any form of racism but if things keep going as they are, when will banning white bread or white chocolate happen?
Its time to curb it in.

While I was out and about driving earlier, I was listening to the radio, and Sean Hannity had a couple of guys debating this on his show. A couple of interesting points came up.

For one, it was mentioned that Planned Parenthood was founded by a racist and a believer in eugenics, yet the government gives them money every year. Should the government stop giving Planned Parenthood money because that organization was founded by a racist?

Another point: Has anyone been harmed by reading Dr. Seuss' books? If so, can this person be named and evidence of said harm produced in court?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I loathe any form of racism but if things keep going as they are, when will banning white bread or white chocolate happen?
Its time to curb it in.

Meh, non news, imo
They will probably just be reprinted later with different illustrations.
Like they did with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Charlie and the great Glass Elevator like years ago. The Pygmy tribe in the books are a bit Yikes-y by today’s standards.
I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner, tbh.
Normally I would prefer something like this be kept intact so it could be used as a jumping off point for discussion about portrayals and stereotypes. But Dr Seuss books are for like kindergarteners so maybe that’s a bit young for that.

Twilight Hue

we have reached levels of brain damage that should not be possible
No doubt.

Dr Seuss books have been around since 1931.

This is the only generation that suddenly has a problem with it?

Makes me wonder what's next with cancel culture.

Twilight Hue

Meh, non news, imo
They will probably just be reprinted later with different illustrations.
Like they did with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Charlie and the great Glass Elevator like years ago. The Pygmy tribe in the books are a bit Yikes-y by today’s standards.
I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner, tbh.
Normally I would prefer something like this be kept intact so it could be used as a jumping off point for discussion about portrayals and stereotypes. But Dr Seuss books are for like kindergarteners so maybe that’s a bit young for that.
I think most people realize that the books portray caricature, meaning exaggeration and humor.

Doing so like Chinese eyes and pygmy grass skirts is not racism. None of the characters were hated or loathed at which would be the point of racism if they were.

It's just the opposite. They were beloved characters in a Dr Seuss book.

Anyone who thinks Seuss was racist needs their head examined by Horton the Who.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I think most people realize that the books portray caricature, meaning exaggeration and humor.

Doing so like Chinese eyes and pygmy grass skirts is not racism. None of the characters were hated or loathed at which would be the point of racism if they were.

It's just the opposite. They were beloved characters in a Dr Seuss book.

Anyone who thinks Seuss was racist needs their head examined by Horton the Who.
Anyone reading Dr Seuss is likely still learning the alphabet. Do you really think at such an age it is okay to normalise caricatures that may reflect poorly on another race, even if unintentional?
Mr Geisel is a racist in the same way everyone of his generation were. Things were different back then. Certain portrayals were okay. But we’ve moved on

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Its time to curb it in.

We are the greatest possible fools if we cannot understand, and come to grips with, the fact that generations of humans previous to ours had different viewpoints.

Rather than ban books, now about teaching kids why what they're reading is considered wrong today, but okay a few generations ago? They'll grow up smarter with that simple bit of knowledge.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Let's ban everything. After all, my thoughts might change by the time I wake up tomorrow, and I may be unable to cope with the horrors of what I thought yesterday.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
We are the greatest possible fools if we cannot understand, and come to grips with, the fact that generations of humans previous to ours had different viewpoints.

Rather than ban books, now about teaching kids why what they're reading is considered wrong today, but okay a few generations ago? They'll grow up smarter with that simple bit of knowledge.
Whilst I agree with that sentiment. Dr Seuss’ demographic age is like 3 -5. If you can explain that concept to a kid still watching Sesame Street, then I applaud you. You’re better with kids than I am.
At that age my nephews and nieces were still learning to share. I don’t think the concept of race ever came up until they were at least starting primary school (elementary.)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Whilst I agree with that sentiment. Dr Seuss’ demographic age is like 3 -5. If you can explain that concept to a kid still watching Sesame Street, then I applaud you. You’re better with kids than I am.
At that age my nephews and nieces were still learning to share. I don’t think the concept of race ever came up until they were at least starting primary school (elementary.)
I know two kids, now 8 and 4 (boy and girl, respectively), who I have known since they were born. Love them both dearly, and have to say that both are very intelligent -- both were reading independently before 3 years old. They both understand that there are things that are accepted today that were looked down on before.

They both know, for example, that my partner and I are essentially a married couple, and that did not confuse them (when the boy asked when he was 6 1/2) "can two boys get married?" and were told, "yes, but they didn't used to be able to." And the boy has also had the sense to ask, "why didn't people like black people before?" because one of his best friends is, guess what....

By the way, both those kids love me dearly, and are always asking when I can come over again...

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its time to curb it in.

For me its a non issue. I'm sure they know what they are doing. They're trying to keep Dr. Seuss well known, read by children everywhere, etc. Its a savvy move for the time we live in. Later when people aren't taking his books as insults they will start publishing them again, perhaps in a few decades or more. In the meantime all of the current copies become collectibles.