• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sin and Love

PureX

Veteran Member
Can one commit sin; if they are practicing the ideal of love?
Theoretically, no. But what we humans perceive to be love is sometimes just selfishness disguised as 'love' without our recognizing it. So it would be wise never to presume our own innocence. Honesty, humility, and some effort is the best we can do. And that will have to be good enough.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Theoretically, no. But what we humans perceive to be love is sometimes just selfishness disguised as 'love' without our recognizing it. So it would be wise never to presume our own innocence. Honesty, humility, and some effort is the best we can do. And that will have to be good enough.
that is why i used the word ideal and not the word idea.

so the humans perceiving could possible be selfishness disguised as love but not the ideal. some people can't step aside and be humble; so they need bystanders to witness, or point out the obvious to them

PureX

Veteran Member
that is why i used the word ideal and not the word idea.

so the humans perceiving could possible be selfishness disguised as love but not the ideal. some people can't step aside and be humble; so they need bystanders to witness, or point out the obvious to them
I'd be very wary of that, too. Since for the principal or the bystander, perfect wisdom is not possible. We are not here to judge each other for our sins. And if we try, we will surely fail.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I'm not sure.

However, if one is atheist, they can't "sin" according to their own paradigm. Though they can commit good or bad acts.

Whether Christians might interpret some actions of atheists as the theological concept of sin, is another matter entirely.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I'd be very wary of that, too. Since for the principal or the bystander, perfect wisdom is not possible. We are not here to judge each other for our sins. And if we try, we will surely fail.
being wrong and right aren't exclusive to any idea of religions. more so to the idea of a belief system and how self chooses what is right for self but then makes an exception possibly for other as self. that's what hypocrites do. hypocrites have two sets of rules

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.

Love can be toxic, overly idealistic, smothering, unhinged.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm not sure.

However, if one is atheist, they can't "sin" according to their own paradigm. Though they can commit good or bad acts.

Whether Christians might interpret some actions of atheists as the theological concept of sin, is another matter entirely.
Which begs the question, "why on earth should an atheist care in the least about any Christian's interpretation of our actions, based on their religion?"

On the other hand, I would care greatly about what even a Christian though of my actions, if their concern was because of some harm I had caused to others.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sin is a transgression against God. I'm not Christian and do not worship their god, but as an outsider looking in it seems very possible to transgress against their god when practicing love. Quite easily, in fact. Isn't there some thing about coveting others spouses (love) or some such in their religion? That's a love that directly leads to a sin against their god.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Practicing ideal love is to do the right things even when you don't feel like it whatsoever. Impossible without virtue!

It'd be interesting to see what others describe ideal love to be.

Virtuous people love by nature that which is virtuous; no practice needed.

To practice ideal love sounds forced and contrived. An evil doer can't experience real love themselves. They can't and they won't. The idea of sin is very fictional for the most part.

Ideal love is only alive through a virtuous heart. It's an aspiration. Ideal love weathers all adversity, and failures and mistakes for the sake of love. It's unconditional and no matter what comes. It perseveres no matter what for the sake of the truth. It never stops til truth, and love be done in all; truth is according to virtue.

Ideal love is why I hold out interest in there being a real God. A God well beyond religion.

Of course there are tons of lesser loves and loves that really don't add up to any good.

When humanity experiences genuine love that doesn't mean they are not fallible. Humanity is far less than ideal. There are degrees of genuine love. Since all humans are fallible we do not fully experience ideal love, only degrees of genuine love imo.

heaven, if such a place exists, is a place of fully realized and perfected love.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Sin is a transgression against God. I'm not Christian and do not worship their god, but as an outsider looking in it seems very possible to transgress against their god when practicing love. Quite easily, in fact. Isn't there some thing about coveting others spouses (love) or some such in their religion? That's a love that directly leads to a sin against their god.
i'm not christian exclusive, or considered christian by most christians. sin doesn't have to be exclusively against some god either.

you can error/sin/commit an offense/fault against another human, you've wronged a person.

when i googled the definition given by merriam webster it doesn't associate it exclusively with christianity

Ebionite

Yes, sins can be committed in ignorance.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy Elah, I will also forget thy children.
Hosea 4:6

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
i'm not christian exclusive, or considered christian by most christians. sin doesn't have to be exclusively against some god either.
You may use the word however you wish, of course. It is worth observing that its colloquial usage - the one you seem to be using - occurred because of the cultural dominance of Christianity and the centrality of sin in their doctrines. I do not use the word "sin" colloquially, at least not on a religious forum, and consider it a Christian (or Abrahamic) concept.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes, sins can be committed in ignorance.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy Elah, I will also forget thy children.
Hosea 4:6
Ignorance of the law of unconditional love is not an excuse.

Deuteronomy 6:5

“And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Certainly not…

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14
but you limiting christ to one person; when in fact the bible doesn't say/teach/state that. in fact it actually says christ is all and in all. it says no where that jesus is christ exclusively

InChrist

Free4ever
but you limiting christ to one person; when in fact the bible doesn't say/teach/state that. in fact it actually says christ is all and in all. it says no where that jesus is christ exclusively
I don’t find Jesus Christ limiting. He is my all in all…

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:14-19