• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

I am a Buddhist here(Converted from Hinduism)......I had a few qns if you could kindly answer:

1. Do Sikhs believe in the concept of a Creator God - meaning something was created out of nothing or do they believe in Evolution of Universe/earth?
2. What opinion do sikhs have on -whether there is Free will or everything is predestined (in other words Fate).
3. Do Sikhs believe in the concept of Soul?. If yes, Do Sikhs believe that Soul moves from body to body after death like the Hindus do?.
4. What according to Sikhism is analogous to the Christian concept of 7 deadly sins or the Buddhist concept of 3 impurities of Greed, Hatred and delusion?.
5. What importance are Rites, Rituals etc in Sikhism?. For example in Buddhism , Buddha asked people to stop doing rites and rituals whereas in Hinduim there is all sort of rites and rituals......What is the Sikh position on this?.
6. Is there a concept of Hell and Heaven in Sikhism?.
thanks!

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
1. Do Sikhs believe in the concept of a Creator God - meaning something was created out of nothing or do they believe in Evolution of Universe/earth?
Sikhs accept evolution. They do, however, believe in God, and he is called as the Creator - but it is not like within the Bible. I have never met a Sikh who believed in the creation of something from nothing. The Sikh God is panentheistic, so everything in existence is in God, but God is also beyond it. We are not separate from "Him" (who is genderless and formless).

2. What opinion do sikhs have on -whether there is Free will or everything is predestined (in other words Fate).
Usually it is free will, but some things are predestined - either by God's Will, or by karma.

3. Do Sikhs believe in the concept of Soul?. If yes, Do Sikhs believe that Soul moves from body to body after death like the Hindus do?.
Yes, Sikhs believe in a soul. It moves from life to life. However, it cannot be found and measured. The soul is a spark of the Divine.

4. What according to Sikhism is analogous to the Christian concept of 7 deadly sins or the Buddhist concept of 3 impurities of Greed, Hatred and delusion?.
The Five Thieves:
Lust, wrath, greed, worldly-attachment, and egotism.

5. What importance are Rites, Rituals etc in Sikhism?. For example in Buddhism , Buddha asked people to stop doing rites and rituals whereas in Hinduim there is all sort of rites and rituals......What is the Sikh position on this?.
Sikhs practise almost no rituals. The only rituals are birth, initiation into the Khālsā, marriage, and death.

There are no castes, icons, or priests in Sikhism, and it emphasises people are equal regardless of race, caste, creed, or gender.

6. Is there a concept of Hell and Heaven in Sikhism?
Sikhism believes in reincarnation.

Many believe in a Heaven and Purgatory-Hell world. Others see them as metaphorical. Most Sikhs believe people can experience Heaven-like bliss or Hell-like stress in this world, according to how they live.

Sikhs accept evolution. They do, however, believe in God, and he is called as the Creator - but it is not like within the Bible. I have never met a Sikh who believed in the creation of something from nothing. The Sikh God is panentheistic, so everything in existence is in God, but God is also beyond it. We are not separate from "Him" (who is genderless and formless).

Usually it is free will, but some things are predestined - either by God's Will, or by karma.

Yes, Sikhs believe in a soul. It moves from life to life. However, it cannot be found and measured. The soul is a spark of the Divine.

The Five Thieves:
Lust, wrath, greed, worldly-attachment, and egotism.

Sikhs practise almost no rituals. The only rituals are birth, initiation into the Khālsā, marriage, and death.

There are no castes, icons, or priests in Sikhism, and it emphasises people are equal regardless of race, caste, creed, or gender.

Sikhism believes in reincarnation.

Many believe in a Heaven and Purgatory-Hell world. Others see them as metaphorical. Most Sikhs believe people can experience Heaven-like bliss or Hell-like stress in this world, according to how they live.

Really thank you for your clear and lucid answers

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
What is the Sikh stance on tattoos? Many fundamental religions are against altering the body like that, but in some religions it is done almost ritualistically.

Is Sikhism in favor of, against, or neutral on tattoos? Depending on what the tattoo is, of course.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There is nothing religiously which says you cannot have them. Some though see it as altering the body, which is perfect and contains God life, and thus disrespectful. Thus, many believers discourage it because of it, and others see them as neutral as they add nothing spiritually.

Some people have them, though. In effect, it's totally up to the person, even if some disapprove.

2000d1268784389-sikhism-and-tattoos-sikh_tatto_mandira_bedi.jpg

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
I forgot the concept of perfection in the natural body, I guess that could affect one's perspective on something like that. But thank you, Odion.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Another question. Can a Sikh work in a restaurant? Most healthcodes restrict facial hair, right? Is there any way around that which would allow a Sikh to keep their beard?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Another question. Can a Sikh work in a restaurant?
Yup. Although some don't like working in either halal restaurants (halal and kosher food being strictly prohibited for consumption in Sikhism) and some dislike working in meat-serving restaurants, preferring vegetarian ones instead.

Most healthcodes restrict facial hair, right?
They do.

Is there any way around that which would allow a Sikh to keep their beard?

HairNetBeardnet.jpg

;)

jasp

hello all ,
i have a very simple question ,
what is god ?
does he exist ? if so ,
can you see him , feel him ,

GURSIKH

chardi kla
hello all ,
i have a very simple question ,
what is god ?
does he exist ? if so ,
can you see him , feel him ,

ya we can see ,we can experience .

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੨ ॥
Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਅਖੀ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਵੇਖਣਾ ਵਿਣੁ ਕੰਨਾ ਸੁਨਣਾ ॥
To see without eyes; to hear without ears;

ਪੈਰਾ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਚਲਣਾ ਵਿਣੁ ਹਥਾ ਕਰਣਾ ॥
to walk without feet; to work without hands;

ਜੀਭੈ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਇਉ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਣਾ ॥
to speak without a tongue-like this, one remains dead while yet alive.

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣਿ ਕੈ ਤਉ ਖਸਮੈ ਮਿਲਣਾ ॥੧॥
O Nanak, recognize the Hukam of the Lord's Command, and merge with your Lord and Master. ||1|| ;)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
are u sure abt this?. i saw in some sikh forums that they are born in higher realms and not human and animals.
I'm pretty sure this is the case. The concept of reincarnation is considered a part of Sikh philosophy. "Higher realms" and "lower realms" are just semantics for better and worse realms.

Sikhs, however, strive to escape from the cycle of birth and rebirth.

This may be worth reading. :)
Reincarnation - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
are u sure abt this?. i saw in some sikh forums that they are born in higher realms and not human and animals.
I'm pretty sure this is the case. The concept of reincarnation is considered a part of Sikh philosophy. "Higher realms" and "lower realms" are just semantics for better and worse realms.

Sikhs, however, strive to escape from the cycle of birth and rebirth.

This may be worth reading. :)
Reincarnation - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

jasp

thanks to everyone for their responses ,

how can one say that such a power exist in practicality ?
i guess the answer is no ,
how do you believe in something that does not exist?

the dilemma that i have is that,
do you believe in god and gurbani because it is written in granth sahib and we have been told since birth to follow it and thats what we do ,

or you read and understand it so that you can implement it in your everyday life ,so far i havent , (quite simply the rebirth dosent make sense in todays world , and we are believing in it without asking how is that possible

i think i am a practical but also a god fearing person and rather see something to believe it
i guess i want to understand "GOD" better but may be with some practical answers , if thats possible

chinu

chinu
thanks to everyone for their responses ,

how can one say that such a power exist in practicality ?
i guess the answer is no ,
how do you believe in something that does not exist?

the dilemma that i have is that,
do you believe in god and gurbani because it is written in granth sahib and we have been told since birth to follow it and thats what we do ,

or you read and understand it so that you can implement it in your everyday life ,so far i havent , (quite simply the rebirth dosent make sense in todays world , and we are believing in it without asking how is that possible

i think i am a practical but also a god fearing person and rather see something to believe it
i guess i want to understand "GOD" better but may be with some practical answers , if thats possible
Jaspreet Ji, Welcome to the world of spirituality and best of luck. ;)

_/\_
Chinu