• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should US Schools Be Koran Based?

freethinker44

Wow, a US congressman said the Koran should be the basis of our education? Ballsy... stupid, but ballsy. Guess he didn't want another term in office.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Why do they insist on pushing their religion on everyone else?

(Not all Muslims and Christians, just those who do...)

Indira

Good Grief!! Just when i think those clowns on the Hill couldn`t get any more out of touch and traitorous, one of them come up with another way to destroy the American Constitution and our Ed System.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think we can add another representative to the list of those who definitely will not be or likely will not be serving another term.
But then again, most people don't pay attention, so it may slip under the radar to the average voter. Here in Indiana one of our Senators has not lived in this state for the past 30 some years and most people are just now finding out about because the Tea Party wanted him gone.

One minute and thirty seconds does not seem sufficient enough time to explain much of anything but if you can it probably isn't worth much, it seems a 100,000 mile overview but the link is what you posted so that is what I will work with.
I came away with this:
Employ what is useful and what seems most beneficial no matter the source, if some facets prove to be wrong over time discard it or if it seems to have had some useful impact keep it and tweak it until it works and move forward from that point if the need arises.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
My question would be how the students from these Madrassas compare to those who come up in public schools in the same areas.

The fact is that our schools absolutely suck. To suggest that we look at another model, albeit in a rather biased manner, is not entirely radical.

We have turned our schools into political battlegrounds when instead we should let experts and the knowledgeable determine what is taught. We need to be able to determine what the priority of our education system should be and then create a curriculum that fosters that. Moreover, parents need to take a more involved role in what their children learn. It is not the place of a school to teach morality or life lessons, but facts and objective and basic knowledge.

In a way, perhaps, what the congressman says is not so far off. These Madrassas probably represent what happens when communities have shared values and goals and then work to create educational environments wherein the young are taught in such a manner and in such a framework as to inculcate knowledge in the perspective of those values.

But hey, what do I know.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
One congressman thinks so.
I don't see the Islamic world as a wellspring of innovation.
Thoughts?

Muslim Congressman: U.S. Schools Should Be Modeled After Madrassas | RealClearPolitics

OK, I know this is real low hanging fruit for a debate section, but I didn't see where else to put it.

*whack*

Easy Reach Peach is hit for a ground rule double!

And um, in succinct answer, no.

I take no issue with private religious schools espousing and teaching their own values and principles.

Public education is no place for religious instruction, at least no more than churches are places to educate all students in the righteousness of electrical engineering or particle physics:)

s2a

My question would be how the students from these Madrassas compare to those who come up in public schools in the same areas.

The fact is that our schools absolutely suck. To suggest that we look at another model, albeit in a rather biased manner, is not entirely radical.

We have turned our schools into political battlegrounds when instead we should let experts and the knowledgeable determine what is taught. We need to be able to determine what the priority of our education system should be and then create a curriculum that fosters that. Moreover, parents need to take a more involved role in what their children learn. It is not the place of a school to teach morality or life lessons, but facts and objective and basic knowledge.

In a way, perhaps, what the congressman says is not so far off. These Madrassas probably represent what happens when communities have shared values and goals and then work to create educational environments wherein the young are taught in such a manner and in such a framework as to inculcate knowledge in the perspective of those values.

But hey, what do I know.

You should know this much...

There is a definable and distinct difference to be drawn between indoctrination and education.

The Amish have "shared values and goals ", but those qualities are quite insular and decidedly narrow "educational environments", to say the least.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall one person of Amish "value education" that has been a noted or memorable inventor, cosmologist, astronaut, historian, academic, or TV game show host.

When any religious doxology, orthodoxy, catechism, ritualism, or superstition seeks to define or limit erudition as to be solely in accordance with severely limited "shared values and goals", you get as outcome-based result folk with severe limitations of any objective perspective, and diminished prospects of broader enlightenment potentialities.

Just saying... :)

Wirey

Fartist

There is a definable and distinct difference to be drawn between indoctrination and education.

The Amish have "shared values and goals ", but those qualities are quite insular and decidedly narrow "educational environments", to say the least.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall one person of Amish "value education" that has been a noted or memorable inventor, cosmologist, astronaut, historian, academic, or TV game show host.

When any religious doxology, orthodoxy, catechism, ritualism, or superstition seeks to define or limit erudition as to be solely in accordance with severely limited "shared values and goals", you get as outcome-based result folk with severe limitations of any objective perspective, and diminished prospects of broader enlightenment potentialities.

Incredibly well put.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

I don't believe that the purpose of school is to give prospects of broad enlightenment potentialities. The purpose of school is to educate people in the basics such as language, mathematics, history and science. What enlightenment prospects a person moves onto following that are up to the individual.

Besides, I didn't argue that we should adopt a Muslim model, but that we should adopt a focused model that does better than our education system does. And while I'm sure the Amish are a nice example, it's an unrealistic one because they deny a large part of the modern world (electricity).

A more realistic comparison would be the many private religious institutions across America that consistently produce better educated and more well-prepared-for-college graduates than their secular public counterparts.

I went through a private Christian school system from grades 5-12. Each year in addition to our non-religious academics we had two semesters of religious classes, which one could arguably say was the representation of indoctrination. Moreover, even the non-religious classes had a sort of religious spin on them (for instance, understanding math allowed one to better appreciate God's universe etc).

Despite all that, we had a 98% graduation rate with 80% of graduates being accepted into 4-year universities.

In our small city (small for california anyways) we had 4 other high schools within a 2 mile radius. The next highest graduation rate to our own was 57% at a high school down the street. Behind that was a school with a 34% graduation rate of the senior class. We were the only private religious high school within a 10 mile radius. The other four high schools were public high schools.

I'm not saying that it is the religious aspect that makes such schools better. But I wouldn't so readily dismiss someone who says we should look at the example these schools provide.

And let's not forget that mathematics flourished in Muslism lands where one could make a strong argument that the schools religiously indoctrinated their students.

Just saying...

Last edited:

Indira

Kudos s2a :)...well said! I find any religion that cannot keep itself `united` is a poor example for our (as a whole) children. Education should be basic, unbiased and opened minded to be effectual for future innovations and progress in all things.

Last edited:

s2a

I don't believe that the purpose of school is to give prospects of broad enlightenment potentialities. The purpose of school is to educate people in the basics such as language, mathematics, history and science. What enlightenment prospects a person moves onto following that are up to the individual.

Right…because a thirteen year old should posses the capacities of discernment and informed choice as to whatever “path” (of enlightenment) is sensible or interesting.

Most would concur that “basics” of a simple education (some refer to as fundamental facts; ie, dates, locales, names of parties involved, or “rules” re: language skills, mathematics, biology, geology, etc.) establish a foundation from which to operate on a purely and rudimentary functional level…but numbers, dates, and proper grammar/spelling do not lend anything beyond a “data dump”. The most vital aspect of teaching anyone anything of value and merit is how to use that “basic” information in a way that is useful in educating oneself outside of a classroom. In essence, to learn how to learn…more.

Besides, I didn't argue that we should adopt a Muslim model…
It did not strike me that that was your suggestion at the outset...

…but that we should adopt a focused model that does better than our education system does.
So akin to, but not a replica then of the “Muslim Model”? So, more like…what then?

And while I'm sure the Amish are a nice example, it's an unrealistic one because they deny a large part of the modern world (electricity).
Oh, I see. Like the home-schooling methodology that is practiced by religious adherents here, that deny (or shield their kids from) the veracity of modern cosmology, biology, geology, physics, and unpleasant societal realities re: homosexuality, gender roles/bias of equal pay, equal representation, and equal access to legal health care (etc) that are perceived by them as in conflict with their own personalized and dogmatic rote religious beliefs? And no, I’m not talking about just the Amish, and you know it.

A more realistic comparison would be the many private religious institutions across America that consistently produce better educated and more well-prepared-for-college graduates than their secular public counterparts.
That’s a popular canard (and consistent claim) primarily espoused by advocates of such institutions as being preternaturally superior to public counterparts in education. I invite you to cite the numerous studies that both (albeit marginally) support and (predominantly) debunk such claims, and perhaps an unbiased conclusion might arise from those proffered evidential studies.

“Graduation rates” are widely biased in and of themselves, as each and every state establishes the standards of what qualifies as successful completion of mandated coursework and curriculum. And let us at least ponder the consequences that private institutions (funded and expensed by individuals) must confront and suitably answer if/when their “failure rates” are comparable to (or even worse than) those realized within their competing public institutions. I’m not forwarding any conspiracy theories, I’m only suggesting that a healthy dose of skepticism be lent towards any business that dispenses education on a profit-based model, vs. one that is most decidedly non-profit and under constant duress to even remain afloat within the auspices of promoting the general welfare of all citizens.

I went through a private Christian school system from grades 5-12. Each year in addition to our non-religious academics we had two semesters of religious classes, which one could arguably say was the representation of indoctrination. Moreover, even the non-religious classes had a sort of religious spin on them (for instance, understanding math allowed one to better appreciate God's universe etc).

Despite all that, we had a 98% graduation rate with 80% of graduates being accepted into 4-year universities.
I appreciate your candor there, but would care to also anecdotally note that in the public High School I attended and graduated from a class of about 600, we shared strikingly similar results (97% graduation, 84% acceptance and/or scholarships to state and private universities). I specifically recall those stats because they were repeatedly mentioned during the course of graduation ceremonies. Goes to show what a properly funded and well-staffed public education can produce within a local community of middle-class affluence and commitment to educational ideals.

In our small city (small for california anyways) we had 4 other high schools within a 2 mile radius. The next highest graduation rate to our own was 57% at a high school down the street. Behind that was a school with a 34% graduation rate of the senior class. We were the only private religious high school within a 10 mile radius. The other four high schools were public high schools.
As anecdotal example, yours is not uncommon in numerous locales, but hardly representative of the greater whole. Again, I invite you to dig a bit deeper and investigate the outcomes of the many studies of unbiased comparisons available. It’s either disheartening or validating I assure you, mostly dependent upon whatever bias you bring to the evaluation. :)

I'm not saying that it is the religious aspect that makes such schools better. But I wouldn't so readily dismiss someone who says we should look at the example these schools provide.
Good:) If I seemed to be dismissive of your suggestion, then I bear the fault of inarticulate expression, and that’s my bad.

I readily concede that I retain a bias towards a public secular education when our presumedly secular brand of self-government neither favors nor disadvantages any religious influences when the entirety of our society is to be represented in common cause and purposed outcomes.

And let's not forget that mathematics flourished in Muslism lands where one could make a strong argument that the schools religiously indoctrinated their students.

Just saying...
To be fair then, and perhaps just as remindful, that within many Asiatic and European nations/cultures today employ and enjoy secular, unreligious public education models with outcomes far superior to what we find here as well. What shall or might we conclude from those numerous examples?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So....let's say all US schools start requiring students to memorize the Koran.
Does anyone think this will spur innovation, improve discipline, boost math scholarship, or clear up any complexions?

Indira

Kudos s2a :)...well said! I find any religion that cannot keep itself `united` is a poor example for our (as a whole) children. Education should be basic, unbiased and opened minded to be effectual for future innovations and progress in all things.
I`d like to add, when I made this post I was not in any way agreeing that the Amish did not teach their children well. My point of agreement was only that religion or presenting evolution as anything more than a theory should not be on the curriculum, unless of course the school is a private school. Although, I do believe parents or guardians should make available to children starting early as 5 to the age of consent 21, a study of religious educational knowledge (as many as possible), as a gathering process. I have found many people have made a life time path decision without much or any religious knowledge at all. That`s like becoming a surgeon without knowing anything about the human anatomy.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Right…because a thirteen year old should posses the capacities of discernment and informed choice as to whatever “path” (of enlightenment) is sensible or interesting.

Most would concur that “basics” of a simple education (some refer to as fundamental facts; ie, dates, locales, names of parties involved, or “rules” re: language skills, mathematics, biology, geology, etc.) establish a foundation from which to operate on a purely and rudimentary functional level…but numbers, dates, and proper grammar/spelling do not lend anything beyond a “data dump”. The most vital aspect of teaching anyone anything of value and merit is how to use that “basic” information in a way that is useful in educating oneself outside of a classroom. In essence, to learn how to learn…more.

I think people, even children, are creative enough to discover ways to use basic information.

Besides, I'm not arguing that people should not get the inspiration to be creative and use the knowledge they've received, I just don't think it should come from school. I see that as part of the job of the parents. School should only support that by not hindering it.

One cannot learn how to learn if one already doesn't know how to learn. I don't think learning is something we have to be taught, it is innate. If anything, all we can do to that ability is to hinder it.

So akin to, but not a replica then of the “Muslim Model”? So, more like…what then?
That's not for me to determine. I'm not an education expert. I was simply stating that obviously the model we use doesn't work. Facts prove this.

So it would make sense to seek expert help. Whether they be Americans, or Finnish, or Dutch, etc.

Oh, I see. Like the home-schooling methodology that is practiced by religious adherents here, that deny (or shield their kids from) the veracity of modern cosmology, biology, geology, physics, and unpleasant societal realities re: homosexuality, gender roles/bias of equal pay, equal representation, and equal access to legal health care (etc) that are perceived by them as in conflict with their own personalized and dogmatic rote religious beliefs? And no, I’m not talking about just the Amish, and you know it.
And how do those people perform out in the real world? Do they go to college? Do they succeed on test scores?

If you're going to use an example, use one that is relevant. Unless, of course, you think the example the Congressman refers to is comparable to the Amish?

That’s a popular canard (and consistent claim) primarily espoused by advocates of such institutions as being preternaturally superior to public counterparts in education. I invite you to cite the numerous studies that both (albeit marginally) support and (predominantly) debunk such claims, and perhaps an unbiased conclusion might arise from those proffered evidential studies.
I'm not claiming the institutions are preternaturally superior, but that in many cases (at least ones that I have observed) such institutions do produce more-educated graduates.

The reasons behind that are beyond me. As I said, I'm not an expert. I'm simply not so willing to condemn someone who says "we should look at the model that is used" in places that consistently produce a more well-educated result.

“Graduation rates” are widely biased in and of themselves, as each and every state establishes the standards of what qualifies as successful completion of mandated coursework and curriculum. And let us at least ponder the consequences that private institutions (funded and expensed by individuals) must confront and suitably answer if/when their “failure rates” are comparable to (or even worse than) those realized within their competing public institutions. I’m not forwarding any conspiracy theories, I’m only suggesting that a healthy dose of skepticism be lent towards any business that dispenses education on a profit-based model, vs. one that is most decidedly non-profit and under constant duress to even remain afloat within the auspices of promoting the general welfare of all citizens.
Profit-based models produce quality when the customers are informed and provide proper oversight.

Besides, a profit-based model isn't necessarily worse than the fledgling model you describe where quality education is sacrificed to keep the institution afloat within the auspices of promoting general welfare.

I appreciate your candor there, but would care to also anecdotally note that in the public High School I attended and graduated from a class of about 600, we shared strikingly similar results (97% graduation, 84% acceptance and/or scholarships to state and private universities). I specifically recall those stats because they were repeatedly mentioned during the course of graduation ceremonies. Goes to show what a properly funded and well-staffed public education can produce within a local community of middle-class affluence and commitment to educational ideals.
I think that's great. I'm not saying that an institution must be private or religious to produce success. I'm simply noting that we should look at models that succeed, regardless of whether or not they are religious institutions.

As anecdotal example, yours is not uncommon in numerous locales, but hardly representative of the greater whole. Again, I invite you to dig a bit deeper and investigate the outcomes of the many studies of unbiased comparisons available. It’s either disheartening or validating I assure you, mostly dependent upon whatever bias you bring to the evaluation. :)
I have no need to get deeply involved in such investigation. I'm not an education expert nor do I seek to be. I entered this thread because many condemned the man saying that he was politically done for or that he represents those who would "push their religion on others."

Maybe the guy does represent that, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to do what he suggests, which is ultimately that we look at the model that institutions which succeed use in educating.

And I'm not saying religious institutions are better just because they're religious. I was simply countering your claim that "When any religious doxology...you get as outcome-based result folk with severe limitations of any objective perspective..."

That was the only reason for bringing up my own example. Proof against your claim.

I readily concede that I retain a bias towards a public secular education when our presumedly secular brand of self-government neither favors nor disadvantages any religious influences when the entirety of our society is to be represented in common cause and purposed outcomes.

I'm sorry, but America is far too large for us to all have a common cause and purposed outcomes. Hence why the federalist model exists. There is no way to cleanly enforce a consistent and nationwide system. Because we would all have to agree on what is and is not beneficial. And even among the secular that's impossible.

America is far too diverse and far too populous for us to all be ruled by the singular standards of a federal government.

To be fair then, and perhaps just as remindful, that within many Asiatic and European nations/cultures today employ and enjoy secular, unreligious public education models with outcomes far superior to what we find here as well. What shall or might we conclude from those numerous examples?

All we can logically conclude is our model isn't working. The examples of success we see in the nations/cultures you speak of are examples that we should examine when determining our own model.

A successful education system is one that produces an educated populace. One that sees the needs of the people in terms of education and fulfills that need. There, most likely, isn't one singular answer.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I say let's give it a shot. Can't be worse than the bible based education system we have now. At least they'd support science advancement.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I say let's give it a shot. Can't be worse than the bible based education system we have now. At least they'd support science advancement.

We don't have a Bible-based education system. Ignorance based, perhaps, but Bible-based most certainly not.