• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should religious organizations pay taxes?

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Every individual and business pays taxes. Why are religious organizations allowed to keep their profits tax free?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Every individual and business pays taxes. Why are religious organizations allowed to keep their profits tax free?

No one should have to pay taxes, governments should work pro bono or off of donations like religous orginizations.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If churches are non-profit, then they should get the same tax breaks other non-profits get. If not, I don't understand why simply being a religious organization should exempt them. If all religions have to pay taxes there is no First Amendment conflict.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The (501) status as a non-profit for churches are fine, as long as they adhere to the same rules as other 501's.

Anything beyond that seems to be special exemptions for religions and should be prohibited under the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution.

Skwim

Veteran Member
godwilling said:
Why are religious organizations allowed to keep their profits tax free?

'cause most of the voters and legislators were religious folk back when the decision was made. Probably one of those, "Let's cut ourselves a break here" decisions.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

I don't think there should be taxes in the first place. Outside of that, religions operate the same way businesses do. Tax them.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Religious organizations, or specifically churches, do not operate as other businesses do. They operate as a non-profit and thus should be treated as such.

Also, looking at normal churches, how much profit do they really bring in compared to other non-profits? There isn't much if any difference.

CynthiaCypher

Religious organizations, or specifically churches, do not operate as other businesses do. They operate as a non-profit and thus should be treated as such.

Also, looking at normal churches, how much profit do they really bring in compared to other non-profits? There isn't much if any difference.

Property taxes. Most non-profit aren't exempt from property taxes, but churches are. Is that fair?

Shermana

Heretic
The original reason why Churches were given tax exemption was that they were expected to do what taxes did in the day, feed the hungry and clothe/medicate the sick.

Since the late 1800s, feeding the hungry and clothing and medicating the sick constitutes less than 3% or so of their actual tithes, completely nullifying what they were originally given the tax breaks for to begin with. And their flocks generally don't mind that they completely abuse their tithes to pay excessive salaries to staff while not feeding the poor, so yes, they should all in fact be required to pay.

If churches chipped in their share, all the State financial issues could be resolved...or at least significantly helped.

CynthiaCypher

The original reason why Churches were given tax exemption was that they were expected to do what taxes did in the day, feed the hungry and clothe/medicate the sick.

Since the late 1800s, feeding the hungry and clothing and medicating the sick constitutes less than 3% or so of their actual tithes, completely nullifying what they were originally given the tax breaks for to begin with. And their flocks generally don't mind that they completely abuse their tithes to pay excessive salaries to staff while not feeding the poor, so yes, they should all in fact be required to pay.

If churches chipped in their share, all the State financial issues could be resolved...or at least significantly helped.

That's the only reason when churches should be exempt. When they benefit the community at large, by building schools, feeding the poor and providing health care like they used to.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
No one should have to pay taxes, governments should work pro bono or off of donations like religous orginizations.

Taxes that go toward healthcare and schooling is not collected by the government directly.

We do not need the hands-off taxes like that, but I disagree that government should not get taxpayer's money. Their money goes to things that improves us, and if there's a little left over, there's nothing wrong with spending it for your little own self, right? I mean even the government needs a little fun too ;)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Property taxes. Most non-profit aren't exempt from property taxes, but churches are. Is that fair?

Are other non-profits exempt from property taxes though? If others also are, then I think that is fair, as there is certainly a reason for such. If not, then they shouldn't.

My main point is that the churches are not getting so much more though. There have been an increasing number of churches who have had to close their doors because they simply are not bringing in enough money, and in fact, most churches are not these money machines. I have known many ministers who work a second job in order to just get by.

Not to mention that most churches actually do a lot of good. The ones in my community, this winter, took turns taking in the homeless (temporary homeless shelters). They have taken in large numbers of refugees in, and helped them find work, homes, and build new lives. Not to mention the various education programs that they set up in other countries, which have had great positive impacts. Or the various other types of charity that churches do.

So really, since they act like other non-profits, they should get the same rights.

CynthiaCypher

Are other non-profits exempt from property taxes though? If others also are, then I think that is fair, as there is certainly a reason for such. If not, then they shouldn't.

My main point is that the churches are not getting so much more though. There have been an increasing number of churches who have had to close their doors because they simply are not bringing in enough money, and in fact, most churches are not these money machines. I have known many ministers who work a second job in order to just get by.

Not to mention that most churches actually do a lot of good. The ones in my community, this winter, took turns taking in the homeless (temporary homeless shelters). They have taken in large numbers of refugees in, and helped them find work, homes, and build new lives. Not to mention the various education programs that they set up in other countries, which have had great positive impacts. Or the various other types of charity that churches do.

So really, since they act like other non-profits, they should get the same rights.

Does Westboro deserve the same exemption that a Buddhist church that provides support to the poor for health care?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because religious organizations are not considred as sources of income in the society. :D
But they do consume services funded by property taxes, eg, fire, police, courts, roads.
I see no need to provide them for free. They can pay their own way.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think they should pay taxes like everyone else but get certain exemptions or tax credits for actual community services provided.