• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should manditory overtime be illegal?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Gee, I wonder why American productivity is so high compared to other countries...
I think you guys are third ranked, right?
With Ireland working less than you and still beating you. That said I would rather live in our neighbouring country New Zealand who dramatically increased their work life balance for the better after a major study or overhauls whatever
Where Labor Productivity Is Highest [Infographic]

Besides I’d rather enjoy a bit of family/friend time and have a good quality of life instead of being worked to death in the name of productivity. Even then experts agree that more hours worked does not necessarily equate to more productivity anyway

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many seasonal workers work from dawn to dusk 6-7 days a week. They know they will and that's why they work there. Tons of overtime.
And a lot of them aren't paid much. A lot of them don't get mandated overtime.
And as I said, I was told during orientation what I was working every day would just not happen, rarely if it did.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yea. That's why I made several threads on 4 day work weeks , reduced work hours, and now manditory overtime.

The reason is the typical 40 hour work week is slowly eroding back to the the way it used to be in sweatshops and factories in the 30s and 40s where already exhausted people were basically worked to death.

Comparing the US to developed countries its shocking to see just how overworked people are in the states.

Germany has a 6 hour work day on average without any loss of productivity!
It is embarrassing that we work so much our productivity has suffered. Lots of places work less and get more done. Bit they aren't spending half the day or more at work. And we keep doing this. There is no valid reason for this to continue. Health, science, economics, in a rare astrological alignment that may summon Cthulu there are so many branches and schools of thought and disciplines who all agree this makes no sense to keep doing it.
It's all the anti-social arselings paying politicians to run the show who refuse to see it. It shouldn't be cheaper to exhaust people to avoid hiring another shift. But it is. It shouldn't be required, but it is. They spend a few hours in cushioned offices, everybody elses faces an increased risk of accident from fatigue amd exhaustion.

amorphous_constellation

It is embarrassing that we work so much our productivity has suffered. Lots of places work less and get more done.

I haven't heard many figures on the left describe it this way, but I actually think productivity itself is a fiction, and really what is, is just cultural activity. So in other words, there no are 'means' nor any 'production' to actually own or produce, be they piloted by any class, as they objectivity don't exist.

We Never Know

No Slack
And a lot of them aren't paid much. A lot of them don't get mandated overtime.
And as I said, I was told during orientation what I was working every day would just not happen, rarely if it did.
You must not know a lot. In my neck of the woods for example road workers are seasonal. Get paid around $50 straight time, $75 over time and $100 double time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I haven't heard many figures on the left describe it this way, but I actually think productivity itself is a fiction, and really what is, is just cultural activity. So in other words, there no are 'means' nor any 'production' to actually own or produce, be they piloted by any class, as they objectivity don't exist.
You can think that, but it's not really much of a fiction. It is rather complicated to consider what it all entails, and likely doesn't work exactly as economists think, but it is that America works more but produces less overall for it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You must not know a lot. In my neck of the woods for example road workers are seasonal. Get paid around $50 straight time, $75 over time and $100 double time.
Seasonal workers here are a lot of agriculture workers, and that group has a lot of undocumented workers. That means no minimum wage or overtime guarantees.
Road work we do year round here.

We Never Know

No Slack
Not if it was made clear up front and prior to signing the contract. Especially if they are paying 1.5x to an hourly employee/contractor unless they try to make it mandatory for salaried employees then I am against it
But yet some salary employees have to be there during overtime to watch over the hourly employees.
Now some can say they should be compensated for their extra time but in the same note if they don't work a full week they still get full pay.

30 hours equal full salary pay and 50 equal full salary pay. That's the pros and cons of being a salary employee.

Earthtank

But yet some salary employees have to be there during overtime to watch over the hourly employees.
Now some can say they should be compensated for their extra time but in the same note if they don't work a full week they still get full pay.
That's the pros and cons of being a salary employee.
Agreed, as a salaried employee myself, I do work overtime in some rare cases but it's out of my own free will and to ultimately benefit myself when the time comes. In these cases (while this will sound biased) I think its ok especially if a company/manager sees, appreciates and ultimately rewards your efforts (as my company has done). However, if a company expects you to be their slave then HELL NO!!! Also, as someone who used to be an hourly contractor I used to LOVE overtime due to the 1.5x my hourly rate. So yeah i guess that my long winded way of saying i agree with you

Earthtank

They deserve better than exploitation, even if that means I pay more at the grocery store.

A noble cause and one that i agree with however, we are in the tiniest of minorities. If businesses and consumers were willing to pay more to then companies will just hire Americans

We Never Know

No Slack
They deserve better than exploitation, even if that means I pay more at the grocery store.
I agree. First step is for them to become a documented worker. Until then they will be exploited and worked like dogs because they cant even complain legally. But again they know that when they come here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree. First step is for them to become a documented worker. Until then they will be exploited and worked like dogs because they cant even complain legally. But again they know that when they come here.
A lot of them came here legally, paperwork and bureaucratic stuff holds things up, and through no fault of their own and despite their efforts their visa expires.