• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should manditory overtime be illegal?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah what kind of vacation do you generally get over there. Here we sometimes have to work for a year just to get to 2 weeks, and many years just to get 3. In america, we are just about toughness basically, or at least that's how my culture would like me to describe my experience, though I don't really understand the point of it
Whoa that sounds harsh.
Holiday time generally depends on the employer and sector. When I worked retail and went permanent part time, I think I accrued an hour of annual leave for every 2-3 hours worked. I think. I also got sick pay hours. Looking back the rules seemed quite strict. I’m not sure if that’s because of the union agreement or the company mostly hiring teens and therefore more scrutinised by the public. Maybe both :shrug:
But I suppose generally speaking holiday time is about 4-8 weeks per year. Though 4 is the standard Employers also have to offer sick pay, long service leave and maternity/paternity leave on top of that. How much is accrued and what the maximum cap of those hours are again generally depends on the sector and employer. I think I was capped at about 350- 400 hours annual and about 300 or so for sick pay

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Lol. Those picture aren't about toughness. Its about the way life was then vs now.
Yet I will concure and say those working 150 years ago were tougher, had more desire, more heart, and didn't whine or complain as much as people do today.

I think maybe your missing the point about our wood-chopper. He wasn't mirthful in spite of what he had to do: his 'mirth' was born of something else: the fact that he made most of his own rules, beyond the 'front' of being a wood-chopper

Shaul

Premium Member
Whoa you guys have mandatory overtime, seriously?? :eek::eek::eek: And you call yourselves a developed country, jeez!
Over here overtime has to fall under the category of “reasonable hours” and not affect the health and safety of the employee. I assume there’s some companies being shady and trying to worm their way out of that, to be sure. But still.
Gee, I wonder why American productivity is so high compared to other countries...

Shaul

Premium Member
Yes, sometimes people work overtime. So what? Companies that abuse their employees with too much overtime eventually pay the price for that with poor employee retention or vacancies.

If someone doesn’t like the overtime, quit. Go to a different job or start your own business.

PureX

Veteran Member
Of course it should be illegal. The purpose of commerce is to serve humanity, not the other way round. It's sad that greed has so overwhelmed us as a society that we can no longer recognize even this most simple, reasonable maxim.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I say yes. Make it voluntary without fear of dismissal after a proper 40 hours of work a week.

Forced to Work Mandatory Overtime | Working America.

How about you?
I have done it before. It was announced way in advance and it was a very rare occurrence (maybe 3 weeks a year, spread out). It wasn't horrible and the overtime pay was nice. But I can understand both positions. That said, I wouldn't be upset to see it go.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Whoa you guys have mandatory overtime, seriously?? :eek::eek::eek: And you call yourselves a developed country, jeez!
Over here overtime has to fall under the category of “reasonable hours” and not affect the health and safety of the employee. I assume there’s some companies being shady and trying to worm their way out of that, to be sure. But still.
Yea. That's why I made several threads on 4 day work weeks , reduced work hours, and now manditory overtime.

The reason is the typical 40 hour work week is slowly eroding back to the the way it used to be in sweatshops and factories in the 30s and 40s where already exhausted people were basically worked to death.

Comparing the US to developed countries its shocking to see just how overworked people are in the states.

Germany has a 6 hour work day on average without any loss of productivity!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have done it before. It was announced way in advance and it was a very rare occurrence (maybe 3 weeks a year, spread out). It wasn't horrible and the overtime pay was nice. But I can understand both positions. That said, I wouldn't be upset to see it go.
I just think people ought to have an option without being fired for not wanting to work after 40 hours of their time. Many have families and other pursuits other than being married to their jobs.

Overtime is not gawd awful in terms of making extra money but for others, there should be a choice as to weither one wants it or not.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I just think people ought to have an option without being fired for not wanting to work after 40 hours of their time. Many have families and other pursuits other than being married to their jobs.

Overtime is not gawd awful in terms of making extra money but for others, there should be a choice as to weither one wants it or not.
Yep! That's perfectly fair.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yea. That's why I made several threads on 4 day work weeks , reduced work hours, and now manditory overtime.

The reason is the typical 40 hour work week is slowly eroding back to the the way it used to be in sweatshops and factories in the 30s and 40s where already exhausted people were basically worked to death.

Comparing the US to developed countries its shocking to see just how overworked people are in the states.

Germany has a 6 hour work day on average without any loss of productivity!
I guess I just assumed the 40 hour work week (average) was the standard.
That is just horrible. Overworked underclasses will only face health problems and imo be subject to manipulation by the oligarchs