• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should manditory overtime be illegal?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Me and sleep don't match up so good sometimes, on 3rd shift.. Like yesterday I must have slept like 10 hours, but today it had to be 6.. The last week I probably averaged 6, which made it kinda hard to focus on stuff outside of work. But I do make almost 20 an hour, and even more at overtime.. I think sometimes I sleep better with overtime, because that sort of knocks me into a more regulated sleep pattern
It wasn't as much an issue until I joined the old people's club.

We Never Know

No Slack
It's fair if it's agreed. But the company still might have trouble with retention.
If you apply for work at a sewer maintenance company that says upfront it will be mandatory that sometimes you will have to walk through large sewer pipe to clear debris.... If you don't want to walk through sewer pipe then don't work for that company.

If you apply at a company that says upfront that there will be mandatory overtime sometimes and you don't want overtime, then don't work at that company.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you apply for work at a sewer maintenance company that says upfront it will be mandatory that sometimes you will have to walk through large sewer pipe to clear debris.... If you don't want to walk through sewer pipe then don't work for that company.

If you apply at a company that says upfront that there will be mandatory overtime sometimes and you don't want overtime, then don't work at that company.
Some companies don't disclose that information and people end up with a dirty surprise.

Sewer companies notwithstanding. Lol.

amorphous_constellation

I think another issue is job deserts.. that's the third incentive issue. You will generally walk into that sewer if you have to drive sixty miles to find a competitive job. In my midwestern state, there aren't so many metropolitan centers that you have good competitive local options. If you land the good job working for the town, even if you have to snowplow nonstop sometimes or whatever, well you are going to take that job

We Never Know

No Slack
Some companies don't disclose that information and people end up with a dirty surprise.

Sewer companies notwithstanding. Lol.
If you are talking about 9vertime, that's why I said in post #15 "The company should tell up front whether or not they require mandatory overtime or not. If they require it and a person doesn't want that, then they shouldn't work there."

If you are talkung about the sewer line, I think being its a potential health hazard they would have to tell it up-front.

We Never Know

No Slack
I think another issue is job deserts.. that's the third incentive issue. You will generally walk into that sewer if you have to drive sixty miles to find a competitive job. In my midwestern state, there aren't so many metropolitan centers that you have good competitive local options. If you land the good job working for the town, even if you have to snowplow nonstop sometimes or whatever, well you are going to take that job
In my 60 years I did plenty of work I didn't want to do. But doing that work paid my bills until I could find a better job. That's life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It depends. In a factory lets say line 2 gives line 3 work. They ask for overtime...line 3 says yes but line 2 says no. Llne 3 won't have any work because line 2 is going home so no one will get any overtime.

The company should tell up front whether or not they require mandatory overtime or not. If they require it and a person doesn't want that, then they shouldn't work there.
Sometimes they'll tell you'll rarely work a 10 hour shift and absolutely nothing longer than a 12 hour shift. And then make 12 the norm. I went to work in the late afternoon. By their own words I shouldn't have been able to listen to Bob and Tom on my way home.

amorphous_constellation

In my 60 years I did plenty of work I didn't want to do. But doing that work paid my bills until I could find a better job. That's life.

I think maybe you should read that quote I linked from our american ancestor thoreau, (assuming your american) who lived in potential greater privation that either of us, but for some reason did not share your attitude. Why that would that be

We Never Know

No Slack
Sometimes they'll tell you'll rarely work a 10 hour shift and absolutely nothing longer than a 12 hour shift. And then make 12 the norm. I went to work in the late afternoon. By their own words I shouldn't have been able to listen to Bob and Tom on my way home.
It all should be in writing in the application process under terms and conditions, etc.. Many skip the small print thinking nothing of it.

We Never Know

No Slack
Many seasonal workers work from dawn to dusk 6-7 days a week. They know they will and that's why they work there. Tons of overtime.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It all should be in writing in the application process under terms and conditions, etc.. Many skip the small print thinking nothing of it.
Indiana contracts, from the jobs I held there, don't discuss things like that. But they do make it clear your employer can terminate the contract at any time, for any reason, with or without notification (once I didn't get my notification until I was putting my shoes on to go to work).
Sometimes they'll send you to the operating room. And only pay the bill if it's an accident that happened at work. And then fight to pay it (I once got a letter from some legal group saying they picked up my case pro-bono against a former employer when they refused to pay the bill, and I had no idea any of this was going on).

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Whoa you guys have mandatory overtime, seriously?? :eek::eek::eek: And you call yourselves a developed country, jeez!
Over here overtime has to fall under the category of “reasonable hours” and not affect the health and safety of the employee. I assume there’s some companies being shady and trying to worm their way out of that, to be sure. But still.

We Never Know

No Slack
Sure, it's because an early american value was not to 'become tough,' but to actually live good. Nowadays, people are fixated on describing how tough they are or were when working. But that isn't the point of what we are supposed to do here, it's really not.
Many early americans worked from dusk till dawn. 90% of the people living today probably couldn't do the work people did 150 years ago. It was mostly manual and long hours.

Edit.

And to be clear I'm talking about examples such a using this.
IMG_20210518_181429.jpg

Instead of this..
IMG_20210518_181412.jpg

Or using this...
IMG_20210518_181506.jpg

Instead of this..
IMG_20210518_181450.jpg

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Many early americans worked from dusk till dawn. 90% of the people living today probably couldn't do the work people did 150 years ago. It was mostly manual and long hours.

In reading thoreau, it seems clear that the concept of work wasn't even so definitive, as industrial stuff was pretty nascent at the time. There is one chapter where he describes a random wandering canadian woodchopper who works all day, but who says he's never tired, and he's always in a good mood. Surely, he never had a hr department watching him, or had to punch a time clock, or drive in gridlock on black ice. Sure he faced other dangers, but the man might easily be described in light of his freedoms. Quote is below

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
In reading thoreau, it seems clear that the concept of work wasn't even so definitive, as industrial stuff was pretty nascent at the time. There is one chapter where he describes a random wandering canadian woodchopper who works all day, but who says he's never tired, and he's always in a good mood. Surely, he never had a hr department watching him, or had to punch a time clock, or drive in gridlock on black ice. Sure he faced other dangers, but the man might easily be described in light of his freedoms.
I edited this post of mine you replied to.

amorphous_constellation

I edited this post of mine you replied to.

Thoreau writes of the wandering woodchopper from a hundred and fifty years ago:

"He interested me because he was so quiet and solitary and so happy withal ; a well of good humor and contentment which overflowed at his eyes. His mirth was without alloy. Sometimes I saw him at his work in the woods, felling trees, and he would greet me with a laugh of inexpressible satisfaction, and a salutation in Canadian French, though he spoke English as well. When I approached him he would suspend his work, and with half-suppressed mirth lie along the trunk of a pine which he had felled, and, peeling off the inner bark, roll it up into a ball and chew it while he laughed and talked." - Thoreau, Henry David. Walden; or, Life in the Woods . Boston, Ticknor and Fields, 1854, pp. 158-159

So there it is, that proves that what you replied with is actually just narrative fiction, that was probably invented in the 20th century. K-fabe, if you will, to try make stoic toughness into some kind of game theoretic contest so that we can talk about our toughness trophies. If I wanted I could talk about my toughness too, about how that woodchopper probably couldn't do my job.. lifting stuff that weighs a ton 30 feet into the air, and carefully placing it on a pallet rack. He couldn't do that from how thoreau describes him, as that woodchopper seems like some effervescent woodsman character from the hobbit or something

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Thoreau writes of the wandering woodchopper from a hundred and fifty years ago:

"He interested me because he was so quiet and solitary and so happy withal ; a well of good humor and contentment which overflowed at his eyes. His mirth was without alloy. Sometimes I saw him at his work in the woods, felling trees, and he would greet me with a laugh of inexpressible satisfaction, and a salutation in Canadian French, though he spoke English as well. When I approached him he would suspend his work, and with half-suppressed mirth lie along the trunk of a pine which he had felled, and, peeling off the inner bark, roll it up into a ball and chew it while he laughed and talked." - Thoreau, Henry David. Walden; or, Life in the Woods . Boston, Ticknor and Fields, 1854, pp. 158-159

So there it is, that proves that what you replied with a actually just narrative fiction, that was probably invented in the 20th century. K-fabe, if you will, to try make stoic toughness into some kind of game theory so that we can talk about our toughness trophies. If I wanted I could talk about my toughness too, about how that woodchopper probably couldn't do my job.. lifting stuff that weighs a ton 30 feet into the air, and carefully placing it on a pallet rack. He couldn't do that from how thoreau describes him, as that woodchopper seems like some effervescent woodsman character from the hobbit or something
Lol. Those picture aren't about toughness. Its about the way life was then vs now.
Yet I will concure and say those working 150 years ago were tougher, had more desire, more heart, and didn't whine or complain as much as people do today.

amorphous_constellation

Whoa you guys have mandatory overtime, seriously?? :eek::eek::eek: And you call yourselves a developed country, jeez!
Over here overtime has to fall under the category of “reasonable hours” and not affect the health and safety of the employee. I assume there’s some companies being shady and trying to worm their way out of that, to be sure. But still.

Yeah what kind of vacation do you generally get over there. Here we sometimes have to work for a year just to get to 2 weeks, and many years just to get 3. In america, we are just about toughness basically, or at least that's how my culture would like me to describe my experience, though I don't really understand the point of it