• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I Become A Jehovah's Witness?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Also, after the study and everything in your life is cleaned of unchristian influences, i.e., drugs, alcohol, spiritism, unclean practices such as homosexuality, adultery, idolatry etc. there is a casual meeting with the Presiding Overseer of the congregation to determine if you are in line with their basic teachings and clear of the aforementioned tom foolery. Could I pass that?

I'm not sure.

It's so much easier to start your own cult, I mean, they did. :D

Anyway, Halloween is great and what's wrong with a few birthday parties? :D

Earthling

David Henson
It's so much easier to start your own cult, I mean, they did. :D

I get that there is humor in your response, but I've actually considered that. Cult is just another word for sect, but it's taken on the pejorative connotation. I would never start a new religion because I know what religion does as it gains acceptance, or due to it's gaining of acceptance. It ****s it up. It distorts, transmogrifies, obfuscates, the original teaching.

Anyway, Halloween is great and what's wrong with a few birthday parties? :D

Interestingly, I gave all of that nonsense up when I was still an atheist. In fact, over a decade before becoming a believer at the fairly young age of 16. I hate that ****.

Earthling

David Henson
You seemed very opposed the JW beliefs in regards to blood transfusions in an earlier post today. How would you resolve the conflict?

I personally agree with them on the blood issue, what I object to is the compulsion. It shouldn't be, IMO, a disfellowshiping offense, it should be a matter of conscience. Up to the individual. Like I have said elsewhere, thousands died due to their ban on organ transplants, which was unscriptural and discontinued. It's quite possible that their ban on blood is also unscriptural. Especially considering they are not allowed to save and then use their own blood. Why would that be the case? Ultimately, it would be, to me, a matter of conscience. If I thought that my life depended on a blood transfusion and I wasn't completely convinced that it would be disrespectful of sacred life of the creator, I wouldn't think twice about disobeying the governing bodies' decision. It would be entirely up to me. Disfellowshiping? Shunning? Not a problem.

Earthling

David Henson
Jesus loved his meat and drink, sometimes to excess.

But you could dump the rest if you wanted to.

I think I know what you're saying. Get baptized and then become inactive. I've thought about that, but, it seems dishonest and without integrity to me.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I get that there is humor in your response, but I've actually considered that. Cult is just another word for sect, but it's taken on the pejorative connotation. I would never start a new religion because I know what religion does as it gains acceptance, or due to it's gaining of acceptance. It ****s it up. It distorts, transmogrifies, obfuscates, the original teaching.

When there is only one true way, it's a cult. When it's more of a guideline, it's a sect. :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This is something I have been wrestling with since I picked up a Bible and became a believer. For the last 10 years or so I have repeatedly claimed that I would never join an organized religion, and therefore never become a Jehovah's Witness. Am I wrong in thinking that way?

I've attended meetings, and I loathed them. I hated wearing those ugly suits, for what? Who am I trying to impress? Did Jesus tell his disciples to go forth to the second hand store and buy ugly out of style suits smelling slightly of, what is that? Mothballs? Body odor? A three martini lunch? Or spend a ridiculous amount of money on new tailored suits?

I didn't like the repetitious nature of the study material and the rigid schedule of the meetings. I would much rather attend a casual gathering where questions and answers, just unscheduled discussion took place.

Am I being to critical?

I love the idea of going out in service, preaching the good news. I think I would be good at it. Couldn't I do that on my own?

Before becoming a baptized witness first you have to study a book of basic teaching, which takes what, about 6 months? That I've done twice before and enjoyed it. Casual discussion. I know all of the material, but that just makes it easier.

Also, after the study and everything in your life is cleaned of unchristian influences, i.e., drugs, alcohol, spiritism, unclean practices such as homosexuality, adultery, idolatry etc. there is a casual meeting with the Presiding Overseer of the congregation to determine if you are in line with their basic teachings and clear of the aforementioned tom foolery. Could I pass that?

I'm not sure.

I'm not a JW but have JW friends and acquaintances.

Most JWs that I know work are self-employed tradesmen or part-time employees so that they can house-call and work upon the huge new JW centre at Chelmsford (UK).

I notice that they have very little interest in mammon and they have reputation here as being totally trustworthy in everything.

Their dress code is their dress code, but after watching human fashions, such as where ripped up and painted jeans in Versace New Bond Street are sold for twenty times the price of good ones in our local supermarket I don't mind putting on a suit for the very occasional visit to a Kingdom Hall, such as at Easter.

Good luck to you with your decision. :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm a formerly practicing homosexual. I've been to the gay bars, the roadside gathering places, the parks and the rest areas.
I would not join a group that is judgmental towards homosexuality. Unconditional Love is healing, Conditional Judgments are not healing IMO.

Why would you want to be a member? What good do you think it might do you, or anyone else, for you to be a member? What could you do as a member, that you can't do without being a member, and what difference does that make to you?

I don't know how it is with Jehovah's Witnesses, but when people want to join my religion, I tell them that if it's because they enjoy our company, they'll do much better not joining it.

Interesting thing you say here.

I have been with my Guru, Sai Baba. Enjoyed His company. I was much better of joining His company. But my guru had only 1 intention "Share His Love". No hidden agenda.

Explicitly telling us "I don't need devotees, I am not here to create a new religion". That felt as the best company I ever had. Never judging me. I could act stupid and He would just be nice again to me. There were plenty homosexuals also. Never He judged them. They could stay as long as they like, even practicing their thing. He was pure Love expecting nothing in return.

Most organizations expect something from you. There is not unconditional Love. I think that is an important factor to take into consideration when joining a group.

Reactions: Jim

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
26 jul 2018 stvdv 020 17
Good luck in your search. Probably you found it already as you said "I am very confident". So I guess you already choose your right way

This is something I have been wrestling with since I picked up a Bible and became a believer. For the last 10 years or so I have repeatedly claimed that I would never join an organized religion, and therefore never become a Jehovah's Witness. Am I wrong in thinking that way?
Some things we know deep inside. When I was 10 y old I said "I will never marry or have children". Yours might be a spiritual insight deep ingrained in you.

I've attended meetings, and I loathed them. I hated wearing those ugly suits, for what? Who am I trying to impress? Did Jesus tell his disciples to go forth to the second hand store and buy ugly out of style suits smelling slightly of, what is that? Mothballs? Body odor? A three martini lunch? Or spend a ridiculous amount of money on new tailored suits?
I went to churches and had similar feelings. My way is "alone" but "with God", so "not alone".

Am I being to critical?
As long as we feel judgment inside, we have still work to do on ourselves. I hated the first few years with Sai Baba, triggering these things. Took ca. 3 years 24/7.

I didn't like the repetitious nature of the study material and the rigid schedule of the meetings. I would much rather attend a casual gathering where questions and answers, just unscheduled discussion took place.
Sai Baba says "It's good to be born in a church, not to die in a church". So go to a church a few years and witness all your irritations and transcend them. Then you know.
But sometimes certain irritations are just natural, meaning it's not for you [injustice is very hard to transcend for me; only possible by being enlightened maybe].

I love the idea of going out in service, preaching the good news. I think I would be good at it. Couldn't I do that on my own?
Idea: Do not join JW. Instead start your own group at home. At least you get genuine people. If God wants this He will send the people to you. Create your own JW.
[and if it doesn't work or you still want to join them you can do always]. Or just join JW, and find out the hard way, and if you don't like, you can quit always.

You read Bible + Koran several times, so is peanuts. Tip: Just do it, if you don't pass, you know God does not want it. You are plenty smart to pass IMO.
[Ramana Maharshi said "If God wants you to go in some direction, you can't avoid. If God does not want you to go some direction, you won't get there". Just take the step]

I can remember studying with them and thinking it was the greatest thing but at time wore on I could feel a weight upon me when I woke up in the morning that sounds like descriptions of depression I've heard. It literally felt like a weight pressing down on me preventing me from getting out of bed in the morning. The extremely real feeling that something wasn't right. I was told it was demonic. Perhaps it was. It was a horrible feeling that increased until I ended the study. Was it psychosomatic? I don't know.
That sounds same as I went through when being in Ashram with Sai Baba. All ego resistance gets triggered. Goal is God, ego needs to leave. Toughest job we have.

I'm sure there are JW's who don't agree with all of the JW teachings and practices.
But then they have to pretend. The main teaching/practice should agree with you, else it might make you sick and unhappy. Ego stuff is natural, God stuff must be good.

It could have been depression because at the time I didn't feel like I could quit smoking. It could have been a variety of things, including my imagination.
Sai Baba would never force you to quit things. On smoking He said "Okay if you smoke, BUT say the name of Jesus every time you inhale the smoke. To purify yourself"

As for the JW's being a cult, that's just a pejorative connotation from mainstream Christendom who have left the Bible teachings and subscribed to pagan myth and legends. I would never become part of what I see as a lie that is the modern day apostate Christendom's teachings and practices. It would be the Watchtower or nothing.
At least you narrowed it down tremendously "Watchtower or nothing". You said you have "Self Confidence". So by now I think you know already. Being alone is not easy
[I am always on my own, sometimes I like to meet spiritual people, but when going to a church I always get disappointed. Belonging to a group seems nice to me also]

I should want to be a part of that. For spiritual protection, encouragement, support.
IMO you don't have to worry about spiritual protection. God must love you a lot, you are very sincere, so He will take care of you. For encouragement I know that is nice.

The field ministry is something that I could do on my own, though probably not as effective or accurate as if I were one of them.
I doubt that. JW is not Effective. They walk many kilometers [effective for good health], but not winning souls. JW is still small. But God wants quality not quantity I heard

Perhaps isolationism is a detriment to spiritual growth and improvement.
Many great Saints lived in solitude. But for some it is better not to live in solitude. Everybody is different wired.

It's like the Frank Herbert quote I have on every page of my website: "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." I firmly believe in that.
"Seek Freedom" for me means "Free from desires", but I guess in this context "seek worldly freedom, excessive desires"

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Am I being to critical?

Before becoming a baptized witness first you have to study a book of basic teaching, which takes what, about 6 months? That I've done twice before and enjoyed it. Casual discussion. I know all of the material, but that just makes it easier.

I'm not sure.

I would say no problem as long as you don't live in my area. I hate the door to door of the Jehovah's. I am glad they found their calling allow me my own without intrusion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Am I being to critical?

I'm not sure.

You have all the hallmarks of a Jehovah's Witness. It wouldn't do you any harm. You can always give it a try and if you don't like then .....

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I think most grown adults are capable of making their own informed choices about what abstract beliefs they think are valid or want to follow or not follow.

That is individually our choice to make. We are granted that freedom, never to be forced or coerced but to willingly submit to something we know has a ring of truth with no real equal on earth. That's how it is with JW's. There is no other global brotherhood on earth like us. @RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha knows this. But he also knows that we can't have our cake and eat it too.

"So if any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching, and it will be given him. 6 But let him keep asking in faith, not doubting at all, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and blown about. 7 In fact, that man should not expect to receive anything from Jehovah; 8 he is an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways."
(James 1:5-8)

God has no time for indecisive people. We have to make a decision and stick to it. God already knows our hearts, so unless we can accept it all, with no internal conflict, we have no place in Jehovah's earthly family.

"Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1 Corinthians 1:10) That's the deal....."all speak in agreement....no divisions....completely united in the same mind and line of thought "...which means no grounds for dissent or disagreement....its all or nothing. You can't have it both ways.

If you can't agree 100%, then JW's are not for you. We don't do "half-hearted". Nor do we dictate to the ones who have been appointed to feed us our "food at the proper time". (Matthew 24:45) God is looking for those who can follow his directives without complaining or objecting, as if they know better. God will not change for us...it is we who need to change for him.

I just never understand the mindset of those who are so certain of their own abstract beliefs they go out of their way, indeed spend a majority of their lives trying to "inform" others they have the only right answers to life and death. Which of course, they can't possibly have. It just doesn't make sense to me.

You have that wrong. Our job is not to force our beliefs on people just because we think we are right.
Like Jesus, we offer the Bible's message to all without discrimination...believer or not. If there is a ring of truth, then a person will be drawn to the message itself. (John 6:44) The messenger is merely a planter and waterer of seed. Our preaching is offering people a choice about the future, and they are free to either accept it or reject it.

Jesus said..."And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14)

That means two things....1) there is a message that is preached in all the world....and 2) it is the only 'witness' or testimony that people will get before "the end" of the present system of things. Who else is preaching about God's Kingdom in every nation on earth?

We believe that we are in the same situation as Noah was in his day. He was commissioned to build a large vessel for the saving of his family and members of the animals kingdom into a new, cleansed earth, to basically start again. He was called a "preacher of righteousness" so all the time he was constructing the ark, he preached to the unrighteous people of his day....amid the ridicule and scorn, this faithful man kept preaching and building "until the flood came and swept them all away". (Matthew 24:37-39)

But no, I probably wouldn't be unkind to the people going door to door, I just won't answer the door anymore. I do feel so sorry for the children they drag along with them and find that offensive because those children will never have a chance to think for themselves about how they view the abstract and are forced to grow up uneducated. It's not really fair to them or their future and the impact on society that will have.

That again is your choice. Our children are raised to see this work as life saving. We don't drag them, we actually enjoy going out in service as a family in the most important work that can be done in our day. Our children do not grow up uneducated I assure you. They get to speak with all kinds of people and listen to all sorts of responses. Our kids are usually very mature for their age because they have a well rounded education, both spiritually and at school.

They are free to choose whatever education will equip them for life in this system of things, as long as it lasts. Do we concentrate on making lots of money? No, for the simple reason that money cannot buy you life or happiness. (Luke 12:15)

If you think being free to think for yourself without God's guidance is a good thing, take a look at today's youth with its drug and alcohol dependence and addiction to violent video games. Isn't that just another sick form of brain washing? Is that really thinking for yourself?

True happiness comes from giving, not receiving. We try to concentrate on the giving....and we are happier than most because of it.
A life blessed by God and a clean conscience have no equal.

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha -

I think you have your answer from @Deeje. You've indicated that you are in accord with the vast majority of JW beliefs and practices, but that there are some - even if few and small - areas of disagreement. Deeje, who seems to be knowledgeable about her faith community, has indicated that if one is not in 100% agreement with JW teaching, one should not be a Jehovah's Witness.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@RothschildSaxeCoburgGotha -

I think you have your answer from @Deeje. You've indicated that you are in accord with the vast majority of JW beliefs and practices, but that there are some - even if few and small - areas of disagreement. Deeje, who seems to be knowledgeable about her faith community, has indicated that if one is not in 100% agreement with JW teaching, one should not be a Jehovah's Witness.

That is what the rules of Christianity were in the first century...no dissenters were acceptable, and I guess that Judaism was pretty strict in the early days too before sectarianism infiltrated and took men in different directions?
If Gentiles wanted to come into God's nation, they had to adopt Jewish worship and abide by Jewish law. God had one set of laws, but humans always want to put their own spin on them. What happened to Judaism also happened to Christianity. As far as I can see, humans today are no different to what they have always been.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Am I being to critical?

I'm not sure.

Sounds like you would fit better in a non-denominational church setting. I believe one like Hillsong is more in line with "going out in service, preaching the good news".

But I'm sure you would pass "the test" if you become a JW

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally agree with them on the blood issue, what I object to is the compulsion. It shouldn't be, IMO, a disfellowshiping offense, it should be a matter of conscience. Up to the individual. Like I have said elsewhere, thousands died due to their ban on organ transplants, which was unscriptural and discontinued. It's quite possible that their ban on blood is also unscriptural. Especially considering they are not allowed to save and then use their own blood. Why would that be the case? Ultimately, it would be, to me, a matter of conscience. If I thought that my life depended on a blood transfusion and I wasn't completely convinced that it would be disrespectful of sacred life of the creator, I wouldn't think twice about disobeying the governing bodies' decision. It would be entirely up to me. Disfellowshiping? Shunning? Not a problem.

That sounds promising then.

I don't know enough about the JWs or you to know if would be the best faith for you.

All the best with whatever you decide.:)