• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should atheism have the same rights as religion?

Yerda

Veteran Member
I live by it, do you really believe you need a god to be a human being?
I hope not; I'm an atheist. :)

I don't think our beliefs about God are that good an indicator of how good, kind, and loving we are. Some religious belief can cultivate a loving disposition and so can some secular philosophies but we're generally only drawn to them by our own personal capacity for love (which I think varies throughout our lives and differs by situation).

As for the OP, I think protecting expression of non-belief is an essential part of religious freedom but I don't think that organisations should be tax free unless they are performing charitable work. Some churches do and should have charitable status. Others don't and shouldn't benefit, imo.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course atheism should have the same rights (and limitations) as a religion. Why shouldn't it? Especially when non-theistic religions are a thing already as it is?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don’t think so, because atheism is not useful, it has no teaching, it only fights against Christianity and tries to stop people to believe in “love your neighbor as yourself”. By the actions of atheists, it seems to be very evil ideology. Why else it would try to lead people away from loving their neighbor and even enemies?

Isn't bearing false witness a sin?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I hope not; I'm an atheist. :)

I don't think our beliefs about God are that good an indicator of how good, kind, and loving we are. Some religious belief can cultivate a loving disposition and so can some secular philosophies but we're generally only drawn to them by our own personal capacity for love (which I think varies throughout our lives and differs by situation).

As for the OP, I think protecting expression of non-belief is an essential part of religious freedom but I don't think that organisations should be tax free unless they are performing charitable work. Some churches do and should have charitable status. Others don't and shouldn't benefit, imo.

I was replying to 1213s bigoted and hateful post 9.

As for the OP i dont believe atheism should receive religious tax exemptions, why should it?

Having said that i dont believe religions should receive any special treatment either.

Vee

Premium Member
There have been a few "is atheism a religion?" threads recently. They've had a few people insisting that yes, atheism is a religion.

This raises a question that I've asked a few times without response:

Religions, religious ministers, religious adherents, etc., often have special rights, privileges, and benefits. If atheism is a religion, shouldn't atheist groups get the same special treatment that churches receive? Shouldn't individual atheists get the same treatment that religious individuals receive?

Do you agree that atheism should be protected by religious freedom laws?

If you think that churches should be tax-free without having to file financial statements, do you agree that atheist organizations should also have this privilege?

Should donations to atheist organizations get the same tax credits as donations to a church?

Should "atheist ministers" be entitled to the parsonage allowance that religious ministers receive?

Religious rights are given to recognized religious groups. Atheists are not organized as a religious group, so no, you can't ask for the same status. Are "atheist ministers" even a thing?
However, if atheist groups are getting together and doing positive things for society, they probably deserve some of the same privileges given to religious organizations.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sure, if they want to structure their ideology as a religion.
The OP is addressed to people who think this has already happened.

The Christians don't get these additional privileges the church does. If atheists want to organize a church, don't see why it should be treated any differently.
It's a bit of both.

Individual religious adherents get legal protection for their freedom to believe, assemble, worship, etc. Freedom of conscience is entirely an individual matter.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don’t think so, because atheism is not useful, it has no teaching, it only fights against Christianity and tries to stop people to believe in “love your neighbor as yourself”. By the actions of atheists, it seems to be very evil ideology. Why else it would try to lead people away from loving their neighbor and even enemies?
Fascinating alternate world.

Is there a movie?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Religious rights are given to recognized religious groups. Atheists are not organized as a religious group, so no, you can't ask for the same status. Are "atheist ministers" even a thing?
According to the people I'm addressing in the OP, they're a thing.

However, if atheist groups are getting together and doing positive things for society, they probably deserve some of the same privileges given to religious organizations.
Why put that requirement on atheist organizations but not religious ones?

Here in Canada, "advancement of religion" counts as a charitable purpose for a charity under our laws. No good works are required.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religious rights are given to recognized religious groups. Atheists are not organized as a religious group, so no, you can't ask for the same status.

Why would we not?

Are "atheist ministers" even a thing?

Very much a thing, although atheism is hardly ever a remarkable quality of those.

That is indeed the key question to ask.

Is there any drawback to being an atheist, far as contributing to society go? I don't really see any evidence pointing to that.

I have no objection to churches, ministers, etc applying to tax exemptions and similar privileges as the circunstances might justify... but I don't think that simply claiming a religious status should even count as an applicable circunstance in and of itself.

If a given church is engaged in, say, rescuing addicts from the streets and rehabilitating them, more power to them. There is definitely a place for encouraging such efforts, including with tax money. But the actions should speak for themselves, regardless of any religious claims.

Jumi

Where I live there's not much difference what you believe. If you belong to the state church you pay an extra tax that goes to them. So even some believers opt out who don't want to support the church.

Vee

Premium Member
If a given church is engaged in, say, rescuing addicts from the streets and rehabilitating them, more power to them. There is definitely a place for encouraging such efforts, including with tax money. But the actions should speak for themselves, regardless of any religious claims.

Couldn't agree more.
It is a touchy subject because religions were given a lot of advantages at a time when most people were engaged in religious activities so it made sense. Things changed and today many people aren't religious and the tendency is that more and more people will separate from religion. I'm convinced we're going to hear a lot more about that in the near future.

A Vestigial Mote

How can one even tell an atheist from a theist in any intrinsic way without direct proclamation of beliefs regarding deity? It's the same as asking whether chocolate-lovers should be held under the same laws as non-chocolate-lovers. There is just no real way to tell the difference. You have to rely on people telling you "the truth."

Can anyone here honestly assert that there aren't people who lie about their belief in God in order to profit?

Jumi

How can one even tell an atheist from a theist in any intrinsic way without direct proclamation of beliefs regarding deity? It's the same as asking whether chocolate-lovers should be held under the same laws as non-chocolate-lovers. There is just no real way to tell the difference. You have to rely on people telling you "the truth."
Complete agreement there. When I shifted from atheist to theist, I didn't magically lose my personality. I'm quite the same as I was before.

Can anyone here honestly assert that there aren't people who lie about their belief in God in order to profit?
I think there's quite many of them that are into religion, talking about God without actually having no desire to experience God, but just a desire to have power over others. Even profit seems secondary motive...

InChrist

Free4ever
As an atheist i can assure you that an atheist is far more capable of love for fellow human beings than any religious person. Why? Because they have no imaginary god sitting on their shoulder saying love that one because that one worships me, dont love that one because she is not the same colour/class/creed as you are.
If someone is not loving a person because they don't worship God or because they are not the same color/class/creed etc., they are doing so because of their own bias and sinful nature and attitude....not because of the Bible or the teachings of Jesus. I don't know about the details of other religions.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
There have been a few "is atheism a religion?" threads recently. They've had a few people insisting that yes, atheism is a religion.

This raises a question that I've asked a few times without response:

Religions, religious ministers, religious adherents, etc., often have special rights, privileges, and benefits. If atheism is a religion, shouldn't atheist groups get the same special treatment that churches receive? Shouldn't individual atheists get the same treatment that religious individuals receive?

Do you agree that atheism should be protected by religious freedom laws?

If you think that churches should be tax-free without having to file financial statements, do you agree that atheist organizations should also have this privilege?

Should donations to atheist organizations get the same tax credits as donations to a church?

Should "atheist ministers" be entitled to the parsonage allowance that religious ministers receive?

Of course! Free advertising, big lobby audience, free rent on land and buildings, no taxes, laws made in our honor. Can't call it made in our beliefs because we don't have any.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If someone is not loving a person because they don't worship God or because they are not the same color/class/creed etc., they are doing so because of their own bias and sinful nature and attitude....not because of the Bible or the teachings of Jesus. I don't know about the details of other religions.

Yes, even christians can be nasty bast***s, no matter what the bible says

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes, even christians can be nasty bast***s, no matter what the bible says
That may be true, but if their lives are displaying such bad fruit, it brings up the question ...are they sincere Christians, Christians in name only, or wolves in sheep's clothing?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don’t think so, because atheism is not useful, it has no teaching, it only fights against Christianity and tries to stop people to believe in “love your neighbor as yourself”.
No, atheists believe in that, too.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That may be true, but if their lives are displaying such bad fruit, it brings up the question ...are they sincere Christians, Christians in name only, or wolves in sheep's clothing?

Does it matter? They say they are Christians, it it not up to anyone else to dictate their religion just because their interpretation of their faith is different.