• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should atheism have the same rights as religion?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There have been a few "is atheism a religion?" threads recently. They've had a few people insisting that yes, atheism is a religion.

This raises a question that I've asked a few times without response:

Religions, religious ministers, religious adherents, etc., often have special rights, privileges, and benefits. If atheism is a religion, shouldn't atheist groups get the same special treatment that churches receive? Shouldn't individual atheists get the same treatment that religious individuals receive?

Do you agree that atheism should be protected by religious freedom laws?

If you think that churches should be tax-free without having to file financial statements, do you agree that atheist organizations should also have this privilege?

Should donations to atheist organizations get the same tax credits as donations to a church?

Should "atheist ministers" be entitled to the parsonage allowance that religious ministers receive?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
There have been a few "is atheism a religion?" threads recently. They've had a few people insisting that yes, atheism is a religion.

Religions, religious ministers, religious adherents, etc., often have special rights, privileges, and benefits. If atheism is a religion, shouldn't atheist groups get the same special treatment that churches receive? Shouldn't individual atheists get the same treatment that religious individuals receive?

If you think that churches should be tax-free without having to file financial statements, do you agree that atheist organizations should also have this privilege?

Should donations to atheist organizations get the same tax credits as donations to a church?

Should "atheist ministers" be entitled to the parsonage allowance that religious ministers receive?

I hope not. Atheists in Switzerland pay much less taxes than Cristians. And I hope it stays that way. Therefore, I am not a big fan to make them equal.

Ciao

- viole

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Sure, if they want to structure their ideology as a religion. The Christians don't get these additional privileges the church does. If atheists want to organize a church, don't see why it should be treated any differently.

lukethethird

unknown member

Yes to all the above, some atheist and humanist groups in Canada have charity status, but for some reason churches don't have to jump through the hoops that charity organizations do.

Earthling

David Henson
Hmmm. The thing about rights as I see them is that they should apply to all. The protection by law of life, liberty and property. The thing about democracy is that you start mucking around with that giving specific rights to groups rather than individuals, so, majority rules. That means minorities are infringed upon. It starts breaking down into little pieces until there's nothing left.

People are idiots and are prone to ideological possession, so they start thinking: "Oh, we need this and we need that!" Which usually means . . . well . . . see above.

As for taxes, I mean . . . it's a scam.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If atheism is a religion, shouldn't atheist groups get the same special treatment that churches receive? Shouldn't individual atheists get the same treatment that religious individuals receive?

Yes to all of the above.

I think all profits should be taxable with the exception of that which is donated to help those in need.

Same as above.

Neither should have that, imo.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sure. I have no objection to certain religious organizations receiving tax breaks and the like... but that should done with non-religious justifications, as charities or other justifications that can be somewhat objective and are open for other people to pursue.

From a legal standpoint, religion is not supposed to even exist.

Should donations to atheist organizations get the same tax credits as donations to a church?...

I don’t think so, because atheism is not useful, it has no teaching, it only fights against Christianity and tries to stop people to believe in “love your neighbor as yourself”. By the actions of atheists, it seems to be very evil ideology. Why else it would try to lead people away from loving their neighbor and even enemies?

Hugbunney

Hugbunney

One of the reasons why organized churchs don't pay taxes is because doing so would give them a voice in government that would negate the separation of church and state. However, for the question of atheism, I'd say no, it doesn't meet the criteria nor should it want to. Choose. What's better? Not paying taxes along with whatever other perceived benefits being a religious order may bring or having a voice in government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No special privileges for atheists in Ameristan.
And eliminate them for religions, eg, draft exemption for
clergy, easier conscious objector status, tax exemptions.
(Of course, if I get my way, the draft would be totally gone.)

Audie

Veteran Member

Too complicated. Just, no special deals for anyone.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don’t think so, because atheism is not useful, it has no teaching, it only fights against Christianity and tries to stop people to believe in “love your neighbor as yourself”. By the actions of atheists, it seems to be very evil ideology. Why else it would try to lead people away from loving their neighbor and even enemies?

Goodness, I have seen some vicious and ignorant
bigotry, but that ranks right up there.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

As an atheist i can assure you that an atheist is far more capable of love for fellow human beings than any religious person. Why? Because they have no imaginary god sitting on their shoulder saying love that one because that one worships me, dont love that one because she is not the same colour/class/creed as you are.

As an atheist i can assure you that an atheist is far more capable of love for fellow human beings than any religious person. Why? Because they have no imaginary god sitting on their shoulder saying love that one because that one worships me, dont love that one because she is not the same colour/class/creed as you are.
Anyone who truly understands the word of God, knows that they must love their neighbor in order to love God. You can not do one, and not the other! The ten commandments are divided into those two great commandments, Love God, and Love your neighbor!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Do you really believe this?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anyone who truly understands the word of God, knows that they must love their neighbor in order to love God. You can not do one, and not the other! The ten commandments are divided into those two great commandments, Love God, and Love your neighbor!

Your opinion is noted but on experience i must reject it. I am not saying it is relevant for all christians but for most of those i know their love for others is very selective.

Which version of the 10 commandments? Actually not really pertinent because its only a mix up in numbers but then again there are 613 commandments so which 10?