• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shock news, politicians cheat.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We Libertarians should learn from this.

Or perhaps this:

JgHzMVg.png

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
At least he's not been put on under age prostitution charges as happened to Silvio Berlusconi
I guess Berlusca just invented all those stories because he likes bragging about sleeping with 1000 hookers a months..

sick latin lover :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I guess Berlusca just invented all those stories because he likes bragging about sleeping with 1000 hookers a months..

sick latin lover :D

There is a difference between being charged and rumour. If macron is charged (several possibilities) then feel free to vent.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Today I've seen two threads on the same subject but from opposite sides of the US political debate.

Democrats cheating to win elections

Republicans cheating to win elections.

I am shocked at the very idea that politicians cheat. Oh wait a moment, that's not right, i expect it.

What is your view on politicians cheating to gain power

California's late votes broke big for Democrats. Here's why GOP was surprised

So political activist can go to the homes of registered voters who maybe only got registered through the DMV and "assist" folks who may not have any interest in politics to fill out their ballots and sign them. Also if the person happens to want to vote for the opposing team, no guarantee that ballot gets turned in.

When I went to the polling place, my wife asked me for assistance. We were informed that I could not assist my wife with her ballot. That would be against the rules but having a political activist come to your home to assist you with filling out your ballot, that's ok. :confused:

Now this is all legal in the state of Calif. However I can imagine the possibilities, just going house to house with a stack of pre filled out ballot for the convenience of the voter just needing to be signed.

New campaign tactic, encourage folks to harvest ballots from friends and relatives. You can even offer to fill it out for them to save them time. :thumbsup:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
These cheats have been legalized by the parties in power.

So politics is not about representing the citizens of the nation but about staying in power.

PureX

Veteran Member
Today I've seen two threads on the same subject but from opposite sides of the US political debate.

I am shocked at the very idea that politicians cheat. Oh wait a moment, that's not right, i expect it.

As a general rule, the people who want to gain and wield power over others are exactly the people who should not be allowed to have it. And conversely, the people who would be best suited for positions of power are the very people who are least likely to seek such a position. So that as a result, throughout history, we humans have had to suffer an endless parade of abusive tyrants, thieves, psychopaths, sociopaths, mass-murderers, torturers, and petty despots and dictators of every sort. No sooner do we manage to eliminate one of them and another immediately rises up to take his place. And another and another. There seems to be no end to it. There is always another one waiting for his moment to step up and take control. And when he gets it, he immediately begins abusing it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
As a general rule, the people who want to gain and wield power over others are exactly the people who should not be allowed to have it. And conversely, the people who would be best suited for positions of power are the very people who are least likely to seek such a position. So that as a result, throughout history, we humans have had to suffer an endless parade of abusive tyrants, thieves, psychopaths, sociopaths, mass-murderers, torturers, and petty despots and dictators of every sort. No sooner do we manage to eliminate one of them and another immediately rises up to take his place. And another and another. There seems to be no end to it. There is always another one waiting for his moment to step up and take control. And when he gets it, he immediately begins abusing it.

You describe the world of politics accurately, sad as it is it's what we are stuck with.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Familiar with the Kurt Vonnegut story, Harrison Bergeron?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I think all groups of politicians do it, but there are differences on a politician by politician basis.
If we, as the constituents, become so jaded that we accept election rorting, then those more honest politicians will need to either conform or leave politics.
It's in our own best interests not to become completely jaded, treat all cases as equal, or assume everyone is doing it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think all groups of politicians do it, but there are differences on a politician by politician basis.
If we, as the constituents, become so jaded that we accept election rorting, then those more honest politicians will need to either conform or leave politics.
It's in our own best interests not to become completely jaded, treat all cases as equal, or assume everyone is doing it.

I think there are degrees but all (or the vast majority) politicians cheat to some extent. Whether it be taking stationary home from the office to vote rigging.

There is a reason why the job description of politician is seen as the most untrustworthy occupation. It is expected.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there are degrees but all (or the vast majority) politicians cheat to some extent. Whether it be taking stationary home from the office to vote rigging.

There is a reason why the job description of politician is seen as the most untrustworthy occupation. It is expected.

Yup. I would agree, and am pretty cynical.
But still, for me I am focused and interested in things which impact on policy, or which reduce transparency or the democratic voting.
Frankly, I could care less about cheating on a wife when compared to election rigging, for example.

It's not that I think cheating doesn't matter, but anything directly impacting on the job we're asking these people to do has to be our priority when holding them to account.
And if we don't try to hold them to account, we're part of the problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You mean to say that you judge it by the individual
using some standard independent of party affiliation?
Apostate!
Backslider!
Rogue!
Flim flammer!
There goes any chance you might've had to become party leader.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean to say that you judge it by the individual
using some standard independent of party affiliation?
Apostate!
Backslider!
Rogue!
Flim flammer!
There goes any chance you might've had to become party leader.

Yeah, I know. Swinging voter is me.

PureX

Veteran Member
You describe the world of politics accurately, sad as it is it's what we are stuck with.
We are only stuck with it as long as we keep allowing it to happen. I am confident that humans are capable of developing a social system that would eliminate this endless litany of the abuse of power. Unfortunately, I am not so confident that we are capable of seeing past our own selfish needs and desires far enough to find the collective will to do so.

PureX

Veteran Member
Familiar with the Kurt Vonnegut story, Harrison Bergeron?
Except that it is not true that no one would do any better job as leader than anyone else. Nor is it true that our leaders must have ultimate authority. Were we capable of writing a clear, concise and effective set of national imperatives to be carried out by those assigned the responsibility of governance, no one individual would have the authority to deviate from that plan. Unfortunately, this country does not have such a document and is far too corrupted, now, to ever be able to produce one. So I am afraid that we are doomed. But there is still hope that some other, newer, and less corrupted nation could manage to produce one that works, and that eventually the rest of the nations of the world would see that it works and adopt similar imperatives for themselves. Eventually, humanity is going to have to deal with this upside-down relationship between people and power or we're going to destroy ourselves. And that time is not very far in the future.