• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She sat out the anthem in protest. Her teacher said ‘go back to your country,’ students say

We Never Know

No Slack
If that’s how you feel, go ahead and consider them as such.

In a figure of speaking, don't come live in my house and expect me to be ok with you living how you want.
That’s why we are all living the Native American culture...

Native American culture is pretty much dead(yes I'm native American). Why is that? Because others came in, over ran our way of life and changed our way of life to their way of life. IMO pretty much the same thing going on again in America now.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If one should choose to go live in another country because where they live sux, expect to live the ways of that country they go to.

And one of the ways of the USA is that we have the freedom to choose not to participate in public displays of meaningless patriotism.

This person was exercising her rights as guaranteed by the country she is in. One of the things that distinguishes the US and autocracies is *exactly* that we don't force people to show patriotism as a public display.

SoyLeche

meh...
I'd be very, very careful... I guess that's me being a good survivalist, from millions of years of survivors.

...I wonder how some people made it this far.
If I were in a country that didn’t protect basic freedoms I might hesitate. I’d still do my best to improve that country within my power though.

We Never Know

No Slack
Or don't, protest and change the system for the better. :) Eff people who think migrants shouldn't be allowed to think there are things in the US that should change and participate in the same freedoms the rest of the country have, including protests, to enact change.

Especially change like compulsory displays of nationalism for kids which is gross and unnecessary.

Yep native Americans saw it all as harmless and good. Look how it turned out for them.

SoyLeche

meh...
In a figure of speaking, don't come live in my house and expect me to be ok with you living how you want.

Native American culture is pretty much dead(yes I'm native American). Why is that? Because others came in, over ran our way of life and changed our way of life to their way of life. IMO pretty much the same thing going on again in America now.
Don’t protect freedom of expression in your house then.

it’s been going on in America for 400 years, and it hasn’t been a terrible thing.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Too many that fought for that anthem also fought for rights. IMO it's disrespectful to those that died.

It's more disrespectful to those who died to not give the freedoms they fought for. Requiring public displays of patriotism is the way autocracies work.

One aspect about the US system is that we have the *right* not to stand at our national anthem.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok. So then being the teacher was disrespectful by saying "go back to your country", it's the teachers right and should be overlooked correct?

The teacher is in a position of authority and receives a state paycheck. if she was on her own time and not acting as an authority figure, sure. But as a representative of the state, no she does not have that right.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Disrespecting the flag or anthem is a personal attack on Americans.
They just as well say your flag and anthem sux and means nothing to us even though we live here because now our life is better than it was.

Sorry, but if the flag means anything, it means we have the right not to stand.

The freedom from being required to make political statements is part of what the flag stands for. The freedom to criticize what our government has done is at the heart of our freedoms and to deny that is the ultimate in disrespect to the flag and, more importantly, to those who died defending our freedoms.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Sorry, but if the flag means anything, it means we have the right not to stand.

The freedom from being required to make political statements is part of what the flag stands for. The freedom to criticize what our government has done is at the heart of our freedoms and to deny that is the ultimate in disrespect to the flag and, more importantly, to those who died defending our freedoms.

I agree the government should never try and force anyone to do anything... But the fellow citizens..? That's another story.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Of course, how one exercises such rights in the workplace is critical.
I've caned canned employees & evicted tenants for things said.
What is said, & to whom can have serious consequences.

I know on my property I like to dictate the rules. On someone else's property, and in public around other people, I'm a lot more submissive to the rule of thumb, which is to mind my manners.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know on my property I like to dictate the rules. On someone else's property, and in public around other people, I'm a lot more submissive to the rule of thumb, which is to mind my manners.
Let us hope that the teacher found the experience edifying, & mended his ways.