• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She sat out the anthem in protest. Her teacher said ‘go back to your country,’ students say

Cooky

Veteran Member
Let us hope that the teacher found the experience edifying, & mended his ways.

I'm just looking for maximum freedom, as long as no one is threatening to harm anyone else. As far as idiots go, they usually have it coming and get theirs... They'll learn eventually, or else have a hard life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm just looking for maximum freedom, as long as no one is threatening to harm anyone else. As far as idiots go, they usually have it coming and get theirs... They'll learn eventually.
Some comments by a teacher, while not threatening,
could be quite damaging to a student. Teachers must
exercise more self control when dealing with kids.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
People with religious/personal beliefs against idolatry are only expected to stand during (but not participate in) the pledge of allegiance, and are not expected to stand during the national anthem.

The teacher should have known this and should have shown respect for differing beliefs, as per American values.

(Will any Jehovah's Witnesses correct me if I have that wrong?)

Last edited:

dfnj

IMO the teacher was out of line but if you left your country to live a better life here, claim citizenship here, go to school here and receive free aid here,,, then show some respect and stand for the anthem. Evidently life wasn't good for you before you came here.

She sat out the anthem in protest. Her teacher said ‘go back to your country,’ students say.

They probably have better and cheaper healthcare at her country of origin anyway.

If you are going to stand up to authority you have to have thick skin:

epronovost

Absurd.
Schools....some demand perfunctory displays of patriotism.
Others prohibit them, lest students with foreign attachments
be triggered by the sight of our flag.
I'm glad to not be a patriot...one could get riled over such foolishness.

The situation in that one specific school was a bit exceptionnal too. There had been numerous fights between hispanic and anglo-saxon gangs in that school (50 incident over that school year year if I recall correctly; that's enormous). Not all Californian schools ban the display of the US flag during the celebration of the fifth of May either. The school thought it was the simplest and best way to keep the peace during a celebration. In my opinion what's ugliest isn't the ban, it's circumstances surrounding it.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
I don't think that an American teacher can require patriotism.
However, it does show bad manners, a lack of appreciation, on the part of the student. Disagreement with certain policies isn't an excuse for petulance.

It's also kind of ironic that the students who were protesting against a symbol of the country (not a symbol of the particular policies they were protesting) were then crying that they felt like they didn't belong in the country they had just been protesting against.

I mean, imagine Jesus, if he existed, walking into the Pharisaic controlled Sanhedrin like one of the guys and everybody's giving him the hairy eyeball and he's like, "What?"

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep native Americans saw it all as harmless and good. Look how it turned out for them.
I doubt most Native Americans would appreciate trying to turn their plight into an excuse to be xenophobic. Most reservations I've read about refuse to honor American immigration laws. And read Trump's America as one of suspicion born of bigotry. Also not a stranger to protesting the American flag.
2014-9-idle_no_more-peoples-climate-march.jpg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO the teacher was out of line but if you left your country to live a better life here, claim citizenship here, go to school here and receive free aid here,,, then show some respect and stand for the anthem. Evidently life wasn't good for you before you came here.

She sat out the anthem in protest. Her teacher said ‘go back to your country,’ students say.
I thought you Americans prided yourselves on displays of free speech? On displays of freedom of expression?
Isn’t sitting out a national anthem such a display, nay a right guaranteed by your own constitution? Asking for a friend.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The situation in that one specific school was a bit exceptionnal too. There had been numerous fights between hispanic and anglo-saxon gangs in that school (50 incident over that school year year if I recall correctly; that's enormous). Not all Californian schools ban the display of the US flag during the celebration of the fifth of May either. The school thought it was the simplest and best way to keep the peace during a celebration. In my opinion what's ugliest isn't the ban, it's circumstances surrounding it.
I hate it when things are more complicated than they first appear!

Audie

Veteran Member
I have no problem with people coming here. However if they don't like the way things are done here, why come here?
If I were to go live in Russia I'm not going to expect them to cater to me and my American ways. It's Russia and I would learn to live Russian and not disrespect the way they live. Of course that's me.

I did not want to go to the USA, and being a 13 yr old even
got sulky about it!
But, being in the US, I thought I should adapt, show respect,
and go along with songs and pledges.
I would agree with saying, "go back".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did not want to go to the USA, and being a 13 yr old even
got sulky about it!
But, being in the US, I thought I should adapt, show respect,
and go along with songs and pledges.
I would agree with saying, "go back".
Hmmm....you never struck me as the type who'd just
knuckle under to The Man, & do as you're told.
I thought we shared a mild case of ODD.
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) - Symptoms and causes

Audie

Veteran Member
Hmmm....you never struck me as the type who'd just
knuckle under to The Man, & do as you're told.
I thought we shared a mild case of ODD.
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) - Symptoms and causes

Ha. You are so right about me. That is not how it went
tho.

At first I refused to speak for pledge, and made up insulting
words for the anthem, sang those.

But then I thought, this is dumb. Anyway, you can sing
"Fiddle dee dee, the fly married the bumbleber",
without really meaning it. I have a nice voice, why not
sing?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ha. You are so right about me. That is not how it went
tho.

At first I refused to speak for pledge, and made up insulting
words for the anthem, sang those.

But then I thought, this is dumb. Anyway, you can sing
"Fiddle dee dee, the fly married the bumbleber",
without really meaning it. I have a nice voice, why not
sing?
Oh, good.
Had you not told me that, I'd have found a youtube
video of the old woman with one buttock from the
operetta, "Candide", singing, "I Am Easily Assimilated".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have no problem with people coming here. However if they don't like the way things are done here, why come here?
If I were to go live in Russia I'm not going to expect them to cater to me and my American ways. It's Russia and I would learn to live Russian and not disrespect the way they live. Of course that's me.
I know that the US often only pays lip-service to freedom, but it's still surprising to me when someone comes out and actually admits that compliance with authority and mandatory patriotism are "your American ways."