• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She sat out the anthem in protest. Her teacher said ‘go back to your country,’ students say

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I have a sane patriotism for my country and I say let's stop playing the anthem and expecting people to do anything.

We Never Know

No Slack
Compulsory displays of nationalism doesn't help anyone. And expecting groups of people to not protest defeats the purpose of having freedoms to protest at all.
Besides, anthems in schools are dumb anyway.

I have no problem with people coming here. However if they don't like the way things are done here, why come here?
If I were to go live in Russia I'm not going to expect them to cater to me and my American ways. It's Russia and I would learn to live Russian and not disrespect the way they live. Of course that's me.

We Never Know

No Slack
I have a sane patriotism for my country and I say let's stop playing the anthem and expecting people to do anything.

Why should we do away with the national anthem?

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States. The lyrics come from the Defence of Fort M'Henry,[2] a poem written on September 14, 1814, by the then 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet Francis Scott Key after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by British ships of the Royal Navy in Baltimore Harbor during the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812. Key was inspired by the large U.S. flag, with 15 stars and 15 stripes, known as the Star-Spangled Banner, flying triumphantly above the fort during the U.S. victory."

SoyLeche

meh...
I have no problem with people coming here. However if they don't like the way things are done here, why come here?
If I were to go live in Russia I'm not going to expect them to cater to me and my American ways. It's Russia and I would learn to live Russian and not disrespect the way they live. Of course that's me.
Who is “catering” to anything? She doesn’t want to stand, she doesn’t have to stand. Nobody else has to do anything at all.

If someone doesn’t like it that’s their problem, not hers.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If I had to go to Russia I certainly wouldn't be suddenly polite about speaking about how corrupt Russian government was.
Coming here doesn't mean you have to accept the status quo. That's the same sort of silly attitude as 'love it or leave it.' Protesting the status quo is one of the most American things you can do. Much moreso than empty gestures towards a flag, especially by kids which is creepy nationalism.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why should we do away with the national anthem?
I can even say 'play it' if the organization wants to but don't make any requests or expect for people to do anything like stand. Many would voluntarily choose to stand like me and we become the ones making the statement.

We Never Know

No Slack
Who is “catering” to anything? She doesn’t want to stand, she doesn’t have to stand. Nobody else has to do anything at all.

If someone doesn’t like it that’s their problem, not hers.

We are a multi-culture country. Respect goes both ways.
In California students can be sent home for wearing shirts with the American flag on them on cinco de mayo because it's offensive to Hispanics.
If wearing an American flag on a shirt is offensive, so is not standing for the anthem.
If people that come here want Americans to show any respect for them, respect our values also.

We Never Know

No Slack
If I had to go to Russia I certainly wouldn't be suddenly polite about speaking about how corrupt Russian government was.
Coming here doesn't mean you have to accept the status quo. That's the same sort of silly attitude as 'love it or leave it.' Protesting the status quo is one of the most American things you can do. Much moreso than empty gestures towards a flag, especially by kids which is creepy nationalism.
If one should choose to go live in another country because where they live sux, expect to live the ways of that country they go to.

SoyLeche

meh...
We are a multi-culture country. Respect goes both ways.
In California students can be sent home for wearing shirts with the American flag on them on cinco de mayo because it's offensive to Hispanics.
If wearing an American flag on a shirt is offensive, so is not standing for the anthem.
If people that come here want Americans to show any respect for them, respect our values also.
If the California thing is true, it’s wrong in my opinion.

the most important american value in this story is freedom of expression.

I’m a natural born US citizen and if I don’t want to stand for the anthem I don’t have to. Immigrants have the same right.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
IMO the teacher was out of line but if you left your country to live a better life here, claim citizenship here, go to school here and receive free aid here,,, then show some respect and stand for the anthem. Evidently life wasn't good for you before you came here.

She sat out the anthem in protest. Her teacher said ‘go back to your country,’ students say.
I'd invite the teacher to emigrate to N Korea if he demands
compulsory affirmation of nationalism & religiosity.

SoyLeche

meh...
If you don’t like it here, the best thing to do is not to leave but to vote.

if that isn’t an option (and even if it is), the next best thing is to protest.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you don’t like it here, the best thing to do is not to leave but to vote.

if that isn’t an option (and even if it is), the next best thing is to protest.
The teacher fails to understand things on multiple levels.
A high school student wouldn't be able to control her parents' deciding to live here.
Also, she isn't likely to have been old enuf to vote.

We Never Know

No Slack
If the California thing is true, it’s wrong in my opinion.

the most important american value in this story is freedom of expression.

I’m a natural born US citizen and if I don’t want to stand for the anthem I don’t have to. Immigrants have the same right.

Too many that fought for that anthem also fought for rights. IMO it's disrespectful to those that died.