• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share your mystical experiences

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
During Hurricane Sandy in 2012 my right arm was in a sling from surgery for major rotator cuff damage. The hurricane blew down a section of my wood-slatted fence, a 6' high fence. As if that weren't bad enough, my backyard slopes down into a neighbor's backyard. Guess which way the fence blew down. I found out those suckers are heavy. I had no one to help me, but I had to get the fence back into my own backyard. I went down the slope into their yard, about in the middle of the fence section, squatted down and said why not. I used my left arm to start pulling it up, walking my hand down the slats as I pushed it up, wondering when I wouldn't have the leverage or strength anymore and have to give up. Before I knew it the fence was flipped over into my yard. I felt like someone or something was pushing and helping. Maybe it was Thor and/or Hanuman? This may be less mystical than it was a surge of adrenaline or a self-induced placebo effect. But on the chance it was divine intervention, I'll go with that. :p

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Edit: this was followed by fear as I realized that I was drifting away from my body with no way to get myself back.

Sounds like an astral projection gone awry. Allegedly our astral bodies are tethered to our physical bodies not unlike an astronaut's tether on a spacewalk.

Riders

I went to the 7th day adventist college in Keene Tx when i was 22. I was having a hard time believing in God for some reason.I asked God for a sign. when I was praying in my room. Then I went to the bathroom and noticed a huge wild bird had flown into the girls dorm landed on the bathroom. Its wogs were pulled across its face like it was scared.

So I grabbed the bird carried it down to the otuside sat on the porch with it, I guess it was shell shocked because it sat with me for several minutes before it finally flew off.I took that as a sign that God was speaking to em through the bird.

Anyways I've had a few dreams that came true and also have heard some ghost type noises and felt like I was with another presence.

Then of course theres my meditation,I have had feelings of peace over take me and calm after having meditated for awhile.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is your whiskey talking to you? You might have a problem.
You ask a good question, but you don't address the point I was making ─ what is mysticism actually about, such that it matters?

Jumi

You ask a good question, but you don't address the point I was making ─ what is mysticism actually about, such that it matters?
You have zero interest in mysticism, just like I have zero interest in whiskey or other recreational drugs. That's ok. No one's going to sell you things or force you to do strange rituals or have beliefs that interfere with your enjoyments based on mystical experience.

Well, maybe Sam Harris will sell you his mysticism... better beware. ;)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
:) I would that if these were something as commonplace as emotional states, there would be world peace overnight. Everything in life would be clearer than the noonday sun. There would be no fear, anxiety, hatred, jealousy, ego-grinding, and so forth. The truth of the illusions of all these things would be now perfectly obvious to everyone engaging in them as reality.
No overpopulation, no economic inequality, no competition for scarce resources, no sociopaths, all the Murdochs and bin Ladens would be on board? Really?

To be honest, for something like that to happen, my money's on reason, not on mysticism.
They are Reality itself. What I think you mean to say, is they have no meaning to you because they are not part of your normal emotional states, and you have never experienced these states of being (as opposed to emotional states).
That might be true. Or we may both have experienced one or other form of those states and reacted differently to the experience. I'm not sure how we could sort that question out ─ any suggestions?
I'd suggest putting the bottle down
Don't be silly!. Realists are entitled to their pleasures, just as much as mysticists are.
try meditation instead.
I've tried meditation, had a couple of serious shots at it, but (not to mince words) I find it essentially boring. In my view, the world, the question, What's true in reality? is vastly more interesting.
It would be much healthier for your mind, your emotions, and your body.
Call me old-fashioned, but if you don't like whisk(e)y, wine is a substantial subject too, and quite a bit of modern beer-making will appeal, not least in summer.
BTW, this is an interfaith discussion, not a neo-atheist axe-grinding forum.
I'm asking a serious question. I genuinely don't understand the appeal of mysticism.

But if as you say that's irrelevant, well, I can take my ignorance elsewhere.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You have zero interest in mysticism, just like I have zero interest in whiskey or other recreational drugs. That's ok. No one's going to sell you things or force you to do strange rituals or have beliefs that interfere with your enjoyments based on mystical experience.
But is my impression correct? Is it about internal emotional states and not concerned with facts and falsifiability? What's the story?
[

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No overpopulation, no economic inequality, no competition for scarce resources, no sociopaths, all the Murdochs and bin Ladens would be on board? Really?
Of course resolving these thing require the use of higher reason, morals, ethics, knowledge, etc. Where mystical experience plays in all this, is not as a replacement for these things, but to illuminate all of these things through a heart of compassion and truth, egos set aside.

To be honest, for something like that to happen, my money's on reason, not on mysticism.
Reason without love, reason without a true knowledge of our interiors, is just cold mental calculations. It doesn't speak to, or about, the whole person, which is required in order to grow and evolve. Out of curiosity, do you believe that reason alone can help us to transcend our egos? If so, how?

As much as you are convinced it's not mysticism that will save us, I am convinced it is definitely not reason alone that will either. Both are necessary. Mysticism opens us to compassion. Reason, not so much, if at all. Both together, is to me where the true human will awaken, and true progress that embraces every aspect of life will emerge as the result.

That might be true. Or we may both have experienced one or other form of those states and reacted differently to the experience. I'm not sure how we could sort that question out ─ any suggestions?
I don't doubt that may be the case. Mystical experiences, transcendent experiences are actually quite common. I speculate that it is really more a matter of the optimal conditions under which they occur which makes the difference. If someone has "too much to lose", such an experience may threaten to upset their handles on reality and lead them to deny, repress, ignore, forget, such a moment. Guilt, for instance. To stare into the face of God, means to see into yourself, and that is absolutely terrifying for us. We all deny parts of ourselves to ourselves, demonize them, bury them, repress them, and project them on to other as part of that. We all do that to one extent or another.

But if someone is at their end of all their projects to avoid staring into the Deep and see themselves as they truly are, then such a "revelation" of Truth itself, saves them. It leads to profound transformation in their lives, and they cannot walk away from all of that without paying a horrible price. It truly does fit with what the great Wisdom teachers always say, you have to consider the costs, as it will cost you everything. Seeds are sown all the time in our lives, but it really is about the soil they fall onto. Is it fertile, broken up and loose, or hard and compacted? And the conditions of that may be one thing at one season of our lives, and another thing at another season.

Don't be silly!. Realists are entitled to their pleasures, just as much as mysticists are.
Hey, don't get me wrong! I appreciate a good drink. But not as a substitute for awakening. Too much of it, dulls the mind and we may use it to hide the Truth from us that is hard to face in ourselves. It can become an avoidance of being truly happy, which comes from letting go of all our guilts, shames, fears, anxieties, projections, and angers. If those are not a factor, then "Cheers!" :)

I've tried meditation, had a couple of serious shots at it, but (not to mince words) I find it essentially boring. In my view, the world, the question, What's true in reality? is vastly more interesting.
What's interesting is that for me, the answer to that question comes through meditation, which allows the rest of the body/mind/spirit to perceive and receive what actually is, rather than using our critical thinking minds to try to understand that which is wholly, infinitely, beyond such a "dull faculty". I give you an Einstein quote here that speaks to this,

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.”​

Clearly, he understood the limits of the rational mind. So do I. There is far more to Truth and Reality than the "dull faculties" of our reasoning minds, "can comprehend only in their most primitive forms". That is where you take the next step beyond being a rationalist, into being a poetic and a mystic.

As far a "boring" meditation goes, that really depends on what is a good fit for you or not. Not all forms of meditation are right for everyone. There are many forms, such as involve movement, such as Tai Chi or Qigong. I would never accept anyone saying "this is the true right way to meditate". You may even need to do different forms on different days. My motto is, whatever works, whatever is effective for you, is the right way to do it.

Call me old-fashioned, but if you don't like whisk(e)y, wine is a substantial subject too, and quite a bit of modern beer-making will appeal, not least in summer.
I like whisky, and my go-to drink had been an old-fashioned made with Bullet Rye whisky. With the work I've been doing, that became a hindrance for me as it dulled me too much. I do still enjoy a nice local craft beer though.

I'm asking a serious question. I genuinely don't understand the appeal of mysticism.
And that is a genuine question on your part. The answer I can offer is that once having tasted Reality, as such, there is nothing short of that which satisfies. I had a profound awakening experience when I was 18, and it became the cornerstone of my entire life since that time. Now, four decades of life later, I can drink from that Water again now. In this sense, it's both a blessing and a curse. The former because you can know beyond all possible doubt that absolute Beauty that is Life itself, radiating in everything, in every blade of grace and molecule of air, in every cell of the body, and vision of the mind, in each deep breath the whole of reality inhales and exhales, and the absolute Freedom from this knowledge.

But as I said it is a bit of a double-edge sword. After that, nothing else will again satisfy. No lies we tell ourselves can withstand that Light. And without that as an actual lived experience, where instead we are trapped in the cycles of the programming of our minds through culture and language, then you feel profoundly separated from this Ultimate Truth. This can be described as "the dark night of the soul", by many mystics. But as the saying goes, even if you spent your entire life in pursuit of this, only to have but one moment of it in the end, nothing but that ultimately matters. It is Eternal. It doesn't move. It is not a matter of time, of "when", but of "is" or "is not".

But if as you say that's irrelevant, well, I can take my ignorance elsewhere.
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to insult when you were being sincere. I'm happy to discuss.

Last edited:

Jumi

But is my impression correct?
Your guesswork was wrong. Why not make a new topic in a debate area?

Is it about internal emotional states
Nope. I assume you're capable of a bit more complex evaluation since you don't have a religion that's against mystical experiences.

and not concerned with facts and falsifiability?
It's not science if you for some reason expected that. Though some claim to have studied mystical experiences in various sciences. If you're looking to knock yourself out with falsifiable claims why not look into the studies on it? There are some skeptics that have some knowledge on the topic even experiences, why not take a cursory overview at what they say?

Sadly rationalwiki doesn't have much useful to say on the topic. I do recommend you this, although I'm sure you'll most likely not read it: Rational Mysticism | Sam Harris it might make it easier for you to have some grasp of what some of us are talking about.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(I'd like to address these questions to @Jumi as well, if that's okay with both of you.)
Of course resolving these thing require the use of higher reason, morals, ethics, knowledge, etc. Where mystical experience plays in all this, is not as a replacement for these things, but to illuminate all of these things through a heart of compassion and truth, egos set aside.
How, exactly?
Reason without love, reason without a true knowledge of our interiors, is just cold mental calculations. It doesn't speak to, or about, the whole person, which is required in order to grow and evolve.
Why would anyone need mysticism to do that?
Out of curiosity, do you believe that reason alone can help us to transcend our egos? If so, how?
Reason has no innate morality as such. It's a tool. It can help with questions moral, military, criminal, romantic, whatever. The sources of our morality are our genetics for the basics, and our culture, education and experience for the rest.
Mysticism opens us to compassion. Reason, not so much, if at all. Both together, is to me where the true human will awaken, and true progress that embraces every aspect of life will emerge as the result.
But the great majority of people manage compassion without mysticism, surely? If you claim some higher grade of compassion, please spell it out for me with examples to show its unique contribution.
I don't doubt that may be the case. Mystical experiences, transcendent experiences are actually quite common.
So what will tell me whether my experience is mystical or not?

Jumi

How, exactly?
The experiences give glimpse of a different way to be.

You don't need mysticism for that. You also don't need sports to be healthy.

Reason has no innate morality as such. It's a tool. It can help with questions moral, military, criminal, romantic, whatever. The sources of our morality are our genetics for the basics, and our culture, education and experience for the rest.
Agree. You could say, that mystical experience can get you in touch with a side of the genetic, innate part of yours that's associated with empathy. If that makes more sense to you. Sure, it's a simplification and loses about as much informational value as simplifications do, but perhaps it will help you understand why the talk about "morality" in relation to the experiences. It's completely unlike the religion in relation to "morality", where you reinforce teachings whether you innately feel comfortable with them or not.

Mysticism tends to break some religious moralities that aren't innate to us. Not saying that it's always been for the best, as people taking second-hand the words of mystics to mean something they don't.

But the great majority of people manage compassion without mysticism, surely?
Of course. I managed it for decades as atheist, though I was more of an a-hole than I am now for the early part of it. I'd say most of my development compassion has come from suffering which I've endured, taking care of the dying and sick loved ones, combined with reading and discussing with people. I'd say my mystical experience gave me a slight nod in the better direction, but I still got to work for it the same way everyone else does.

It's not your emotions, I can tell you that. It's more like sex, you'll know when you've had it, if you ever read about mysticism from whatever point of view. I'm perhaps more exclusivist than Windwalker. I don't classify everyone who claims to have had mystical experience as mystic or say the experiences are common.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Agree. You could say, that mystical experience can get you in touch with a side of the genetic, innate part of yours that's associated with empathy. If that makes more sense to you. Sure, it's a simplification and loses about as much informational value as simplifications do, but perhaps it will help you understand why the talk about "morality" in relation to the experiences. It's completely unlike the religion in relation to "morality", where you reinforce teachings whether you innately feel comfortable with them or not.

Mysticism tends to break some religious moralities that aren't innate to us. Not saying that it's always been for the best, as people taking second-hand the words of mystics to mean something they don't.

Of course. I managed it for decades as atheist, though I was more of an a-hole than I am now for the early part of it. I'd say most of my development compassion has come from suffering which I've endured, taking care of the dying and sick loved ones, combined with reading and discussing with people. I'd say my mystical experience gave me a slight nod in the better direction, but I still got to work for it the same way everyone else does.

It's not your emotions, I can tell you that. It's more like sex, you'll know when you've had it, if you ever read about mysticism from whatever point of view. I'm perhaps more exclusivist than Windwalker. I don't classify everyone who claims to have had mystical experience as mystic or say the experiences are common.

Many thanks for that, which directly addresses my questions. Subject to what @Windwalker may have to say, I guess I'm not the mysticism type, but you give me some timely insight into the proposition that at the least it can be a force for clarification of oneself.

wellwisher

When I was in my early twenties I dappled in the occult and mysticism. I was broadening my science education and I was hoping to see if I could experience something, mystical, in a first hand way.

My best experiences came when I was doing a combination of chaotic meditation and kundalini yoga. Chaotic meditation is designed to relax the mind, body and heart so one can come to a focus with fewer internal distractions. In this meditation, you do everything in a random and chaotic way to break any patterns that distract you. The body is made tired and restful by doing a type of spasmodic dance with chaotic movement for ten minutes. The heart and emotions are made tired by doing a cathartic release for random emotions for ten minutes. The mind is made calm by talking in gibberish for ten minutes. Then you rest until your mind, heart and body feel calm and empty.

From this calm foundation, that took about a few weeks to achieve, kundalini yoga was used to active the seven physics centers. These appear to be associated with key nerve ganglions along the spine. This yoga allows one to induce and feel a feedback loop between the brain and the ganglion centers.

After about a few weeks of kundalini, I started to have strange experiences. The most significant experience was a feeling that I was about to leave my body; astral projection. The nerve ganglions of the seven centers were all buzzing and my body felt like it was inflating like a balloon. I was awake and felt like I was starting to float toward the ceiling. It was a bizarre experience that was very unsettling to me. After that experience, I stopped all my mystical research, and decided to study psychology so I could scientifically explain what I had experienced.

What I learned was these experiences are real, but their origin comes from inside the brain. The mystics have found natural ways to tinker with the brain's operating system. The invention of computers has provided an analogy that makes this easier to see. The mystic is a type of neural software engineer who can insert code and watch the brain feedback. These neural engineers can even access parts of the brain that are normally unconscious. One should not be able to stop the heart, yet there is coding that can do this. The mystic uses their own terminal; conscious mind, to hack into the brain's mainframe, where they learn how to insert and alter the coding.

Jumi

Many thanks for that, which directly addresses my questions. Subject to what @Windwalker may have to say, I guess I'm not the mysticism type, but you give me some timely insight into the proposition that at the least it can be a force for clarification of oneself.
You don't need to be one to be one of the good people club. In my opinion you can't choose to have them anyway even if you wanted to. If your luck is good (or bad) you might have them. Good thing about these days is, you don't get killed for heresy or get thrown into uranium mines, if you do have one of them.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I'm very curious what are some of the personal mystical experiences members here have had, that either lead to your religious convictions, or has substantiated your spiritual/religious beliefs (or even lead to your place in religious faith).

I wouldn't call it mystical, but two events come immediately to mind when I was young.

In second grade I let my eyes see double for fun but then it stayed like that for 6 months (lazy eye/third never palsy). Finally we called the LDS missionaries and they gave me a blessing, me believing in Jesus Christ. In 7 days exactly my eye recovered. The next time it happened in 6th grade my parents wasted no time. I got a blessing after a week and I was cured again in exactly 7 days. Now my faith I believe keeps me healthy. In fact my right eye the lazy won is at like -1100 but it sees 20/20 with glasses and is exceedingly healthy.

The other one was that we were on a water weenie at Lake Powell. We were being whipped harder and harder for the fun of it each time. I had a feeling I should get off. Someone got in my place. He was whipped 8-15 feet and came up with a bloody nose. Had that been me it might have been brain damage.

There are many more.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(I'd like to address these questions to @Jumi as well, if that's okay with both of you.)
How, exactly?
A rational context creates a larger context than a pre-rational context and more light can be shed on the questions, or raise new questions itself. The mystical experience creates an even larger context within which these questions can be held and examined, beyond the limits of the pre-rational, and the rational. When one experiences reality beyond the cognitive mind, it changes how everything is thought about on nearly every level.

Because it allow us to see the one asking the questions themselves. Otherwise, it's just a matter of not seeing the eyes that are doing the seeing. When that occurs, the entire subjective reality of nature is ignored. In a mystical experience, you understanding the nature of subjectivity itself. You take off the colored glasses to see, rather than looking through them and not realizing you're wearing them.

But none of this addresses transcending the ego, which is those colored glasses we look through. How does reason move us beyond that? How does reason afford us a glimpse of the illusions that the ego creates, and allow us to be free from it as the master of reality for us?

You are right, it is a tool. But it is a tool within the context of a rationalist framework, or context. But is a rationalist framework of reality, reality itself, or just a set of tools we then mythologize with science to be the key to understanding Truth itself? You can't ride a horse with a screwdriver.

But the great majority of people manage compassion without mysticism, surely?
Yes, and no. Everyone by virtue of being created by nature has that same source of compassion as everyone else available within themselves (aside from aberrations such as sociopaths). But accessing and developing that is something that the mystical approach specializes in.

The average knowledge of compassion in ourselves, is a glimpse of what is there and is accessed now and then in certain situations that open that in us. The mystical experience is unconditional and absolute. It is not situational. It informs the mind and the soul about the truth of oneself and all reality. Everything becomes seen and held within that Context, which is absolute.

There is a reason there are those who practice compassion meditation, such as the Dalai Lama. It deepens our natural compassion to that of unconditional love. And that, changes everything in how we see the world, as well as the questions we ask about it.

If you claim some higher grade of compassion, please spell it out for me with examples to show its unique contribution.
I'd first clarify that it's all still the same compassion, but different depths of it that are experienced. How does the greater depths of it provide a unique contribution? Because it changes the entire experience and perception of all of reality. Rather than conditional, it's unconditional.

Everything is seen and held as an expression of that same divine source, not as "other" to us. It overcomes divisions of "this vs that" reality, separations between self and other with all its divisions of good vs bad, true vs false, black vs white, and so forth. With this realized as the deeper, or "higher" nature of reality, things which create fear, shame, guilt, division, anger, hatred, and so forth, are overcome. I do not believe reason alone can do this.

I don't know what experience you have had, or at least I don't recall. Personally, one can have mystical experiences doing the laundry, mowing the law, cooking meals, etc.

It is a matter of what we allow in, and out. It's a matter of dropping the veil between self and the reality it perceives. It makes one out of two. The world is not other to you, nor you to the world. "Love your neighbor as yourself", has true meaning as a nondual expression of the divine reality.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I held off reading your response till I offered my own to him. I love this analogy! If you wish to explore the power and reaches of the potentials of the body, you have to focus on it. Average use of it may be "functional", and you can be happy enough with that, but it doesn't bring the joy of unleashing its true potentials. And the "glimpse" you mention, lets you know exactly what it is you are missing by just 'getting by'. Do you want to just exist, or truly be alive?

Religion at its best is a "translation" of higher truths to minds that haven't experience it yet. If offers symbolic glimpses of that Reality, in terms that someone without the benefit of that can 'sense' in themselves, typically through externalizing it into some form, such as deity figures. At its worst, religion takes these translations as facts, and thus replaces Realization with doctrines. It's much easy for someone to just say "I believe", rather than "I realize". The latter requires actual transfomative experience.

Things like these takes what we are working on in ourselves to fully realize, and gives them context in which we can exercise these in reality. It's very different than something that's merely intellectual.

It's not your emotions, I can tell you that. It's more like sex, you'll know when you've had it, if you ever read about mysticism from whatever point of view.
Along with calling mystical experiences as "emotions" people also see it as "concepts", such as "the concept of God". Neither of these fit within actual mystical experience. I love this quote from the mystic Meister Eckhart as it destroys any such notion. "I pray God make me free from God, that I may know God in his unconditioned being". Concepts of God get in the way of the reality of God.

And emotions are fleeting, whereas the experience of the transcendent, is Eternal. Emotions may or may not be part of the experience. The experience of the Ocean, is greater than just the one wave that rolls up to you and splashes water in your face. :)

I'm perhaps more exclusivist than Windwalker. I don't classify everyone who claims to have had mystical experience as mystic or say the experiences are common.
I'm not sure I would say anyone who claims a mystical experience, actually has had one. For instance, I hear people in the context of their religious mythologies say, "I think I experienced God once". Just that statement alone tells me it wasn't. The mystical experience is unmistakable, more real than real. When you compare what is described about mystical states by those who have genuinely had them, what is described mirrors each other.

That I say these experiences are "common", that is a matter of what Maslow would describe as "peak experiences", and those can and do happen regularly to people. As why shouldn't they? The Source of our Enlightenment is not outside of ourselves somewhere else you have to go and find. It's not some ladder of growth you have to climb and find at the top of it Enlightenment. However, to stabilize that, to integrate that, now that is a matter of wilful intention, dedication, and commitment to Truth.

For the most part, someone can have a temporary glimpse of Reality, but then back we fall into the place where we live and see reality through for the most part. Growth into Light, as a permanent stage of development, does require something of us. Otherwise, it holds the place of a novelty in one's otherwise commonplace world. With effort on our part to remove the obstacles that obscure Reality, the commonplace is the Divine itself.

I remember standing before the creator of the universe and accepting the title of prophet.

It wasn't even a "mystical" experience. I was like reality, a job offer. And I got ****ed. If you know god, you know how works. You don't really have a choice. You can continue to be who you know yourself to be or you can lie to yourself. We ain't really friends, me and god. He's kind of a jerk. TBH, so am I.

I'm also a flaming atheist. The funny part is that in person, there's no argument. I would have long ago gave up this ridiculous claim but for the personal experience aspect. It doesn't matter. I don't matter.

You know what matters?

You do.
Live, love, laugh.