• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share your mystical experiences

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
The experiences tend to break those and make us be more in the present than in the past or looking toward some future that may never come.
Thank you for the understanding, and it is interesting that a mystical experience can lead us to a more profound understanding of our present reality...

I've been told lots of things that are recorded in global eschatology, prophetically, and about the nature of this realm we're within...

Thus it has awakened me to a more conscious way of understanding; it is just shocking when so many people are asleep comparatively.

Did think just because we're awake, we could wake others up; now realizing some only wake up, when they've had strong enough mystical experiences themselves.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Jumi

I've been told lots of things that are recorded in global eschatology, prophetically, and about the nature of this realm we're within...
Those things, prophecies and records, contrast with what I would call mystical experiences. There would be less interest in prophecy, finding eschatological meanings after an experience and more focus on the present.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
There would be less interest in prophecy, finding eschatological meanings after an experience and more focus on the present.
It all depends on the experiences; if it is direct knowledge that is found in global eschatology, and prophecy, then that would be the outcome of the development.

Plus if the present has been shown to be an illusion by the experiences, then what really matters is the reality presented.

Plus if you're the fulfillment of prophecy, then you're hardly going to ignore who you are or what you've been told is about to happen.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Jumi

It all depends on the experiences; if it is direct knowledge that is found in global eschatology, and prophecy, then that would be the outcome of the development.
I would put that and the conclusions you have made in a different category than mystical experience. I've never found any eschatology or prophecy convincing, more of an illusion.

Plus if you're the fulfillment of prophecy, then you're hardly going to ignore who you are or what you've been told is about to happen.
You think so, but I doubt anyone else does, mystic or otherwise.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Satchitananda. Godhead. The Absolute. Love. Light. Life. Living Waters. Source. The Infinite Eternal. Wellspring of Life. All That Is. God. Self.
So mystical experiences are simply variations on an agreeable emotional state?

And contain no information about reality at all?

I mean, at least a very good whisk(e)y has information about reality.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Were you really close to your grandmother?

Actually, no. I havent talked with her in almost twenty years. I had a feeling inside that I should talk with her. It came gradually and I kept asking my father if he can give me her number or contact so I can call. It was a couple years before he gave me the number and email.

I called and emailed but never got to talk. My father let making excuses why she didn't want to talk to me.

I was at the mall and my aunt called me. She said she found my number in my grandmother's phone log. She said her mother died a couple weeks prior. She had cancer.

That feeling I had I knew there it was something but couldn't put my finger on. That' when I has the car experience. I immediately started looking into my genealogy and prayers to family etc.

Sometime I say thank you. Nowadays it's with my aunt. She died of sarcoidosis this year Feb.

I don't have distinct experiences now. I keep in contact when I can.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So mystical experiences are simply variations on an agreeable emotional state?
:) I would that if these were something as commonplace as emotional states, there would be world peace overnight. Everything in life would be clearer than the noonday sun. There would be no fear, anxiety, hatred, jealousy, ego-grinding, and so forth. The truth of the illusions of all these things would be now perfectly obvious to everyone engaging in them as reality.

And contain no information about reality at all?
They are Reality itself. What I think you mean to say, is they have no meaning to you because they are not part of your normal emotional states, and you have never experienced these states of being (as opposed to emotional states).

I mean, at least a very good whisk(e)y has information about reality.
Clearly you've never experienced the former to know the difference between the two. I'd suggest putting the bottle down and try meditation instead. It would be much healthier for your mind, your emotions, and your body.

BTW, this is an interfaith discussion, not a neo-atheist axe-grinding forum.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm very curious what are some of the personal mystical experiences members here have had, that either lead to your religious convictions, or has substantiated your spiritual/religious beliefs (or even lead to your place in religious faith).
I've had a few experiences that seem similar to what other people describe as "mystical experiences," but I'm guessing that because I appreciate them as phenomena of the brain and because they didn't change my religious or "spiritual" beliefs (though "spiritual" is a vague, tricky word), not many people would consider them "mystical."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Actually, no. I havent talked with her in almost twenty years. I had a feeling inside that I should talk with her. It came gradually and I kept asking my father if he can give me her number or contact so I can call. It was a couple years before he gave me the number and email.

I called and emailed but never got to talk. My father let making excuses why she didn't want to talk to me.

I was at the mall and my aunt called me. She said she found my number in my grandmother's phone log. She said her mother died a couple weeks prior. She had cancer.

That feeling I had I knew there it was something but couldn't put my finger on. That' when I has the car experience. I immediately started looking into my genealogy and prayers to family etc.

Sometime I say thank you. Nowadays it's with my aunt. She died of sarcoidosis this year Feb.

I don't have distinct experiences now. I keep in contact when I can.

My condolences to your recent loss. I find the spiritual link you have with your grand-mother interesting. I wonder if you're now the medium to her or pehaps she is somehow connected to you for a purpose.

wellwisher

One experience I had, occurred when I was driving home on the highway about 5 years ago. I had driven north through a thunderstorm. When I reached the other side of the storm, the rain subsided, and I saw a rainbow in the distance. It was a nice bright rainbow, due to the dark background of another distant storm. I kept driving toward rainbow and I reached the end of the rainbow. The end of the rainbow was only one color, which was a bright golden yellow light. I experienced the pot of gold at end of the rainbow for about 5 seconds.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My condolences to your recent loss. I find the spiritual link you have with your grand-mother interesting. I wonder if you're now the medium to her or pehaps she is somehow connected to you for a purpose.

Surpringly you mentioned that. Ive (and my family) have always been mediumish of sorts. Me with feelings, my brother colored auras, cant think of my other brother. He almost committed suicide for many reasons among; he had it bad. My mother too but it skipped my younger sister for some reason. I was looking it up online and came across empathic people.

Internet make words more mystical than it is. But, if Ive always had sensitivities around people. My therapist and I are working on how I can function because of many symptoms that goes along with it. Some would say, probably most, would say its a god-thing by the way I describe it. Little by little Im understanding what people mean by god. As for deity, I havent got that far yet. ;)

As for a purpose, I actually havent thought about my purpose until a year ago. After experiencing near (to) death experiences, I started looking into death. I learned a lot from it and reason why people believe in the afterlife.

But, yeah, I see what you mean. I dont use medium but I use healer since I have a track record of gradually working with people, being a cause, and supporting peers among other other interests inner and outer throughout my life. Its interesting to look back on things, ya know.

Jumi

I've had a few experiences that seem similar to what other people describe as "mystical experiences," but I'm guessing that because I appreciate them as phenomena of the brain and because they didn't change my religious or "spiritual" beliefs (though "spiritual" is a vague, tricky word), not many people would consider them "mystical."
Curious as to how you would describe as your mystical experiences if you're willing to share? If I were to venture a guess based on how you describe your feeling toward them, I'd probably categorize them in the "spiritual" or "religious" experience category. Those tend not to have much if any lasting effect, unless you somehow want them to.

Can count the mystical ones with my fingers, the so-called spiritual experiences or peak/flow experiences you can have a hundred a year if your doing things with a good and active mindset. Solving an equation, realizing you can see a planet's trajectory, running, dancing, listening to Beethoven, getting in the zone in sparring ... regular stuff and always a pleasant feeling. Unlike the mystical ones, which I wouldn't necessarily call pleasant.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Curious as to how you would describe as your mystical experiences if you're willing to share? If I were to venture a guess based on how you describe your feeling toward them, I'd probably categorize them in the "spiritual" or "religious" experience category. Those tend not to have much if any lasting effect, unless you somehow want them to.

Can count the mystical ones with my fingers, the so-called spiritual experiences or peak/flow experiences you can have a hundred a year if your doing things with a good and active mindset. Solving an equation, realizing you can see a planet's trajectory, running, dancing, listening to Beethoven, getting in the zone in sparring ... regular stuff and always a pleasant feeling. Unlike the mystical ones, which I wouldn't necessarily call pleasant.
On one occasion, suddenly being overwhelmed by a sense of love for everything around me.

On another occasion, the feeling that I could see - and was connected to - the entire universe while outside my body, looking at my body and realizing how tiny it was in relation to everything else. Edit: this was followed by fear as I realized that I was drifting away from my body with no way to get myself back.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I'm very curious what are some of the personal mystical experiences members here have had, that either lead to your religious convictions, or has substantiated your spiritual/religious beliefs (or even lead to your place in religious faith).

I had some very specific questions for God and found the answers in the Holy Bible, this was a large step towards recognizing that God is logical and the answer-giver, and led toward my conversion.

Jumi

On one occasion, suddenly being overwhelmed by a sense of love for everything around me.
This might qualify, but it also sounds like it could be a spiritual experience.

On another occasion, the feeling that I could see - and was connected to - the entire universe while outside my body, looking at my body and realizing how tiny it was in relation to everything else. Edit: this was followed by fear as I realized that I was drifting away from my body with no way to get myself back.
I wouldn't call this one a mystical experience, because you can make a story out of it. It sounds more like OBE or lucid dreaming. I've had some similar ones with lucid dreaming or meditating back when I was a young atheist. Even had one in which I met something that looked like an Indian god, it was curious. Of course it was odd considering my beliefs or lack of them, but just that... not mystical. I probably forgot most of those the next day.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This might qualify, but it also sounds like it could be a spiritual experience.
Since "spiritual" is one of those words that can mean whatever a person wants it to mean, I would be surprised if it couldn't be a spiritual experience.

I wouldn't call this one a mystical experience, because you can make a story out of it. It sounds more like OBE or lucid dreaming. I've had some similar ones with lucid dreaming or meditating back when I was a young atheist. Even had one in which I met something that looked like an Indian god, it was curious. Of course it was odd considering my beliefs or lack of them, but just that... not mystical. I probably forgot most of those the next day.
The descriptions I've seen of mystical experiences generally talk about a loss or distortion of the sense of distinction between "self" and "not self," which was definitely part of it.

Anyhow, like I said:

Jumi

Since "spiritual" is one of those words that can mean whatever a person wants it to mean, I would be surprised if it couldn't be a spiritual experience.
Right, my point also, like I said before I see spiritual and peak experiences as nothing special though many swear by them. Only you know if it was "just that".

The descriptions I've seen of mystical experiences generally talk about a loss or distortion of the sense of distinction between "self" and "not self," which was definitely part of it.
The difference in words is vague, isn't it? Just saying, if your sense of self is "distorted", you won't be fearing drifting away from your body or noticing differences between you and the environment. Your description of the whole deal would be different, if you even could put it into words. You would also know that those words wouldn't be accurate to describe what it was.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Lots of coincidences is how the spirit world speaks to me .

Also, a great peace and joy while praying is another way.

I simply cannot explain it.

God communicates with His chosen people in different ways, He sends Angels to speak to some people and He allows Demons to attack others in order for them to come to Him.

I didn't believe in God until I was attacked by a Demon and I called out to Jesus who saved me. After that I knew that Jesus is real and alive, I have trusted Him in everything since that time He saved me from the Demonic attack.