• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Before Marriage

dan

mingmty said:
Because we like chatting and intellectual debates :p But that doesn't mean we like being offended and you aren't the only one posting so there's no reason to leave even if you are being offensive, you should show the respect you demand for yourself.
I don't demand respect, and I've never even expected it. Our group gets less respect than anyone in this forum, and I've never complained. Don't talk to me about respect. I just expect people to stand up for their convictions. Don't throw statements out there if you're not gonna back them up.

mingmty

Scientist
turk179 said:
Your not kidding. I am getting ready to see if I can handle the responsibility in about 4 months. Going to find out if its a boy or girl in 3 days:jiggy:. But your point is true whether you are married or not.
Congratulations! :bounce

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
dan said:
I don't demand respect, and I've never even expected it. Our group gets less respect than anyone in this forum, and I've never complained. Don't talk to me about respect. I just expect people to stand up for their convictions. Don't throw statements out there if you're not gonna back them up.
really? I think Islam gets a lot too...
Maybe instead of focusing on the people who are too ignorant to give an objective look into your belief, you should think about the people who DO respect you and your beliefs.
If we didnt have personal attacks, i believe we'd be more apt to discuss this like adults.

I say we just go back to the topic at hand.

dan

Fine with me.

So, if sex before marriage is shown to harm relationships and those involved in them, what ethical argument is left to engage in it?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
dan said:
Fine with me.

So, if sex before marriage is shown to harm relationships and those involved in them, what ethical argument is left to engage in it?
it would all depend on that persons ethics

dan

That's what I'm trying to establish. I've been trying to get someone to tell me their ethical framework, but no one wants to.

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
Fine with me.

The ethical, moral argument is that it is none of your business. In spite of whatever morality you hold, you may not ethically or morally force your "way of life" on others. The moral argument is whether or not you may suppress another's morality within their personal life.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
dan said:
That's what I'm trying to establish. I've been trying to get someone to tell me their ethical framework, but no one wants to.
if you want to know my ethics, PM me *smiles*

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
dan said:
Fine with me.

You've yet to show any proof for the claim that, "all cases of sex before marriage are shown to harm the relationships and those involved". All you've done is establish that their is a positive correlation. But correlations don't prove causation. They teach you that in every freshmen level science and social-science class in America.

dan

Pah said:
The ethical, moral argument is that it is none of your business. In spite of whatever morality you hold, you may not ethically or morally force your "way of life" on others. The moral argument is whether or not you may suppress another's morality within their personal life.
I'm not forcing anything. I just want people who go off about sex before marriage to think about it. I imagine most of these people trying to defend it haven't done any thinking or research, they just follow the urges they get and think it's right. I want to see if anyone actually has a good reason to have sex before marriage, and as of yet, no one does. I'm not gonna tell anyone they have to stop, I just want them to realize that maybe the only reason they have is a little tingle they get entre las piernas. If they give me logical fallacies I'm gonna point it out.

dan

Darkdale said:
You've yet to show any proof for the claim that, "all cases of sex before marriage are shown to harm the relationships and those involved".
Andthey teach you in Elementary school that it's not good to misquote someone just to make your point stronger. You know I never said "all cases". Why did you put that in there?

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
I'm not forcing anything. I just want people who go off about sex before marriage to think about it. I imagine most of these people trying to defend it haven't done any thinking or research, they just follow the urges they get and think it's right. I want to see if anyone actually has a good reason to have sex before marriage, and as of yet, no one does. I'm not gonna tell anyone they have to stop, I just want them to realize that maybe the only reason they have is a little tingle they get entre las piernas. If they give me logical fallacies I'm gonna point it out.
It's still not your business to demand a logical reason for a biological drive.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
dan said:
surely you're not applying this thought to everyone.

I've been taught abstinence since i was in middle school, by the school. I know the statistics and all the reasons not to have sex until marriage. But they mean nothing to me. If I'm careful, have my partner and I checked out, use protection on all levels, and love him, i see no reason to wait. Maybe it wont work out, maybe he'll dump me, maybe i'll dump him... but i dont see that ruining my hypothetical marriage later on. (if i even want to get married at all)

My Mom suggested actually that I have sex before marriage because then on my wedding night I wont be in pain, and actually be able to enjoy it. (yes, my argument is about pleasure)

My Mom had sex before marrying my Dad, and my dad had sex before marrying my mom. Their marriage did not work out, but its silly to say it was because they'd had pre-marital relations with others. (if you want the actual reason, you can PM me, but i doubt you care)

My Mother is not an amoral person. Because of her allowing my freedoms to explore anything I please, I'm still a virgin, I havent even kissed a guy. Why? I see no need to at this point in my life.

I see nothing wrong with pre-marital sex with any consenting adults. Life is short, live it.

dan

It's good that you have other priorities in your life. A lot of the people who have posted here make their sexuality their priority. If one focuses on the important things, like you have, then abstinance is not that hard. You said something that I've never heard before, though. You said "I see no reason not to wait." Every other person contending here for pre-marital sex considers it the default. It's always "I see no reason to wait," as if the burden of proof lay with abstinance. Your statement treats abstinance as the default. In essence, you expect pre-marital sex to put up its argument. That's a remarkably mature perspective. Most people remain slaves to their physical urges throughout life, and obey them unless a compelling argument is produced for denying them. As I look at it again, it seems your syntax just got mixed up. I think you're saying that you see no reason to wait. I'm not deleting everything because I think it's still a good point, but please don't think I'm trying to be sarcastic or rude.

A lot of gynocologists (did I spell that right?) recommend that women stretch themselves out some before marriage. For some this means sex, but it is just as easily accomplished with a variety of implements. It all depends on your values.

I don't ask about you parents, not because I don't care, but because it's usually a personal thing and not really my business. I see no need to pry into it.

dan

Pah said:
It's still not your business to demand a logical reason for a biological drive.
If someone tells me I'm silly for believing sex is sacred I would like to hear a comprehensive argument for it. This website is a debate forum. We're here to debate, so asking for a logical procession of claims is perfectly rational. It's kinda dumb to come to a debate forum and say, "You're wrong. Ha, that's not true, anyone can see that," and then dissappear in the mist when someone asks you to account for your assertion. Am I wrong to expect people to be able to provide reasons for their conclusions?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
dan said:
It's good that you have other priorities in your life. A lot of the people who have posted here make their sexuality their priority. If one focuses on the important things, like you have, then abstinance is not that hard. You said something that I've never heard before, though. You said "I see no reason not to wait." Every other person contending here for pre-marital sex considers it the default. It's always "I see no reason to wait," as if the burden of proof lay with abstinance. Your statement treats abstinance as the default. In essence, you expect pre-marital sex to put up its argument. That's a remarkably mature perspective. Most people remain slaves to their physical urges throughout life, and obey them unless a compelling argument is produced for denying them. As I look at it again, it seems your syntax just got mixed up. I think you're saying that you see no reason to wait. I'm not deleting everything because I think it's still a good point, but please don't think I'm trying to be sarcastic or rude.
I did just get mixed up actually, sorry about that :bonk:

But i also dont feel like going out had having sex with anyone just because i feel like it. I'd rather wait to know what i'm getting into, and know that the guy i'm with actually does care more about me than what he can get from me. (which is prolly why i'm still a virgin)

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
If someone tells me I'm silly for believing sex is sacred I would like to hear a comprehensive argument for it. This website is a debate forum. We're here to debate, so asking for a logical procession of claims is perfectly rational. It's kinda dumb to come to a debate forum and say, "You're wrong. Ha, that's not true, anyone can see that," and then dissappear in the mist when someone asks you to account for your assertion. Am I wrong to expect people to be able to provide reasons for their conclusions?
According to 1 Cor 3:16-17, I'd say sex is sacred - that was never the point. However, there does not seem to be a biblical prohibition for sex outside of marriage, both before and after marriage, according to the "design" God wrought in the human body. Since sex is, for some species, limited to times of fecundity, it does not bode well for an arguement of "limited sex" in humans who are "designed" differently.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
dan said:
Andthey teach you in Elementary school that it's not good to misquote someone just to make your point stronger. You know I never said "all cases". Why did you put that in there?

Because it is central to the discussion. I put them in quotes, not to quote you, but to define the parameters of the discussion. I have already stated that in a small majority of cases, waiting till marriage is probably beneficial, and I think there is a ton of evidence that sexual permissiveness can lead to all kinds of emotional problems; not to mention abortion, unwed mothers, and STDs.

But there is no proof that it is the sex being outside of marriage that is causing the problem. That is what you need to prove.

dan

Pah said:
According to 1 Cor 3:16-17, I'd say sex is sacred - that was never the point. However, there does not seem to be a biblical prohibition for sex outside of marriage, both before and after marriage, according to the "design" God wrought in the human body. Since sex is, for some species, limited to times of fecundity, it does not bode well for an arguement of "limited sex" in humans who are "designed" differently.
Well, you can look at it biblically or biologically, but my whole argument has been a sociological one. The few arguments raised supporting pre-marital sex have been sociological in nature. I would prefer to addres that aspect.

dan

Darkdale said:
Because it is central to the discussion. I put them in quotes, not to quote you, but to define the parameters of the discussion. I have already stated that in a small majority of cases, waiting till marriage is probably beneficial, and I think there is a ton of evidence that sexual permissiveness can lead to all kinds of emotional problems; not to mention abortion, unwed mothers, and STDs.

But there is no proof that it is the sex being outside of marriage that is causing the problem. That is what you need to prove.
My first posts in this thread pointed out why and how pre-marital sex can harm a relationship. I spoke of fragmentation and our sexual identities. My stats also point out what harm is done when sex is pre-marital, including (but not at all limited to) a more lax view of the act of sex and how that often leads to infidelity. Every stat is accompanied by an explanation of how pre-marital sex leads to that failure. Read through everything again and you'll find that proof.