• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of men and women

Leo613

Why are men and women separate for synagogue but not necessary for grace after meals e.g. private house?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, how does mixing the genders interrupt Torah focus at the Synagogue?
I'm not sure what the other poster is referring to when he says Torah study, but sneaking glances at the ladies is not conducive of the proper mindset needed for prayer.

Aquitaine

I'm not sure what the other poster is referring to when he says Torah study, but sneaking glances at the ladies is not conducive of the proper mindset needed for prayer.
What happens if you're a homosexual surrounded by those of your own sex, whilst studying Torah?

Tumah

Veteran Member
What happens if you're a homosexual surrounded by those of your own sex, whilst studying Torah?
Again, studying Torah is not really done in the synagogues I attend, I'm talking about prayer.
I'm not sure what they do, as its not a very common problem and I'm not a Rabbi who has to deal with those issues. But I'm sure its dealt with.

Aquitaine

Again, studying Torah is not really done in the synagogues I attend, I'm talking about prayer.
I'm not sure what they do, as its not a very common problem and I'm not a Rabbi who has to deal with those issues. But I'm sure its dealt with.
Have you ever visited a Synagogue where people pray in confinement in order to maximize their focus?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Have you ever visited a Synagogue where people pray in confinement in order to maximize their focus?
If by confinement you mean separation of genders, than yes, every day.
If you mean each individual is locked in his own room, then no.