• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senator Rand Paul Sues Obama Administration

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm really trying to find some common ground here tonight. Our country has had a Clinton or a Bush in the white house for 20 years. Is that not enough?

Lets just say no to Hillary and Jeb.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So you would not urinate on Senator Paul if he was on fire?

Quite the bait, I must admit, but I am certain that you will understand that I see no point is answering such an odd question.

If perchance you meant to ask whether I think of him as a decent human being despite despising the beejezus out of his stated goals... for now let me say that I think of him as a career politician. Which means that I do not trust him at all, but would still support efforts at protecting his safety and health.

Fair enough? Quite frankly, I don't think he has earned anything beyond that, from me or from most anyone. Very few succesfull current Rep politicians have.

You might as well warm up to him Luis, he is going to be our next President.

I sincerely hope not. You folks deserve a good twelve or twenty years before going through another GOPer. Obama himself is just barely not one of them, after all.

Before you cry the sky is falling, think about it, Senator Paul would reduce military spending as well as alot of budget busting items. He would castrate the NSA and get the economy going once again.

I just don't trust him to even attempt any of those goals. Yes, not a single one among the four.

That is how far the GOP has fallen in my concept. It boggles the mind to think that once upon a time freaking Abraham Lincoln was one of them.

To be fair, I think that I must point out that I do not trust any candidate for the next POTUS to reduce military spending (too much internal resistance) or budget (much the same reason) or the even the NSA (too much internal paranoia and too little effective representation and internal understanding).

As for the economy, well, it seems all but crystal-clear to me that the GOP simply won't help the economy any better than the Democrats. I do not even trust them to believe their own discourse when they claim otherwise.

Dr. Paul would be good for this country and might just surprise you how many things he stands for you agree with.

That, I must readily grant, has already happened, just with a glance at the wikipedia article of his political positions. Balanced budget, alternative energy, repealing PATRIOT and NDAA, opposing foreign military bases. Those are all worthy goals, to be sure. Some others among those stated, not so much.

Then again, just how much should I trust the promises of presidential candidates? Guantanamo is still in full operation, last I heard.

And I can't help but wonder how many of those goals will survive during the next few years. I hear Republican candidates often fear appearin too "soft" lest they lose their own party's support. Only time will tell if that applies to Paul and to which degree, but I am not optimistic.

Where are all the people who balked when the government got shut down? The Republicans just raised the debt ceiling this time around.

As I understand it, they never had much of a choice. It just seemed like a good opportunity for appearing tough for a while.

No praise for doing anything you like because that would go against the demonization campaign right?

Actually wrong, but I have little hope of convincing you. I can't expect you to take me on my word about how often and how deeply shocked I am by the GOP and its members.

If it helps any, I am just as shocked by the loose stance of the DEMs towards Marijuana and, even if by passive acceptance, gun ownership and military abuse.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It isn't about punishment for crimes.
Tis about stopping illegal curbing of civil liberties.
So prior presidents & minions are off the hook.

Yeah, two terms with Bush II in office and said it was part of the "War on Terror" with the majority of Republicans lining up to support it.

I say sue the Obama administration and any entity who is backing up the funding of the program. That should include other current Senators and lobbyists. Something tells me that some of Bush's cabinet still have a vested interest in illegal surveillance that began back in 2001.

It was business back then. Why shouldn't it be business as usual nowadays? So no, as far as I'm concerned, they are most definitely NOT off the hook. I think they're still complicit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, two terms with Bush II in office and said it was part of the "War on Terror" with the majority of Republicans lining up to support it.

I say sue the Obama administration and any entity who is backing up the funding of the program. That should include other current Senators and lobbyists. Something tells me that some of Bush's cabinet still have a vested interest in illegal surveillance that began back in 2001.

It was business back then. Why shouldn't it be business as usual nowadays? So no, as far as I'm concerned, they are most definitely NOT off the hook. I think they're still complicit.
They did what they did, but if the suit is drafted to stop the abuse, it can only deal with the present & future.
As for vested interest of Bush's cronies, I can't speak to that, & neither can the suit.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
They did what they did, but if the suit is drafted to stop the abuse, it can only deal with the present & future.
As for vested interest of Bush's cronies, I can't speak to that, & neither can the suit.

Hey I got an idea...how about Rand Paul files an injunction to stop the Patriot Act? Including, and especially, Obama's extensions?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hey I got an idea...how about Rand Paul files an injunction to stop the Patriot Act? Including, and especially, Obama's extensions?
Sounds good to me.
But it seems less vulnerable cuz it was passed by Congress, & has much political support.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Suing Obama over the NSA is about the only thing Rand Paul has done that I like.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sounds good to me.
But it seems less vulnerable cuz it was passed by Congress, & has much political support.

Well, either way it'll face SCOTUS, determining if it's constitutional. But thinking about it, suing the administration is the best course of action in the hopes of stopping the surveillance.

Suing Obama over the NSA is about the only thing Rand Paul has done that I like.

I'll take his position on term limits, the balanced budget amendment, and this act against the Obama administration. But his blatant plagiarism, his position on keeping permanent military stations worldwide, and especially his position on women's reproductive rights are all flippin awful. 100% pro-life means not even rape or incest would prevent him from deciding what goes on in a woman's or a girl's uterus. He even stated that maybe he would consider abortion a possibility if the woman's life is in enough danger.

That's a position that I think is sick and twisted. But if he can at least bring the heat to stopping illegal surveillance, I'm rooting for him.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm really trying to find some common ground here tonight. Our country has had a Clinton or a Bush in the white house for 20 years. Is that not enough?

Lets just say no to Hillary and Jeb.
Didn't Rand Paul run in 2012 and fail? Say no to Rand. As mentioned before, no one associated with the TP movement will be President. The establishment and media on the right won't allow it. You are going to have to deal with Scott Walker in 2016 as he's already being propped up to the masses.
Say no to Bushes due to what they did. Jeb is #3. There's only been 1 Clinton in Office and he did an excellent job of reigning in spending. Hillary will win and will run. It's her time and Americas time for a female president. She's a lot better and much more qualified than the people on the right doing their bidding for the Kochsuckers.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Didn't Rand Paul run in 2012 and fail?
NO, you are confusing hime with his father Ron Paul who did run for President last election.

Ron Paul had a huge following of young people who were against the wars. Truthfully, Ron Paul was more of a Libritarian who ran as a Republican.

You listen to FOX too much tytlyf. Don't count the TEA Party out, Rand is da man!

Rand Paul is a uniter not a divider. Rand Paul does not tow the party line just like his father.

I guess you are too young to remember the jack boot thugs under Janet Reno and all the inocent people who were harmed.

Just say no to Hillary! If she is YOUR candidate, you will certainly loose!

I don't think our country is ready for 12 consecutive years of Democrats in the highest office.

Jesus, can't you all do any better than the likes of that stupid *****?

Alceste

Vagabond
NO, you are confusing hime with his father Ron Paul who did run for President last election.

Ron Paul had a huge following of young people who were against the wars. Truthfully, Ron Paul was more of a Libritarian who ran as a Republican.

You listen to FOX too much tytlyf. Don't count the TEA Party out, Rand is da man!

Rand Paul is a uniter not a divider. Rand Paul does not tow the party line just like his father.

I guess you are too young to remember the jack boot thugs under Janet Reno and all the inocent people who were harmed.

I don't think our country is ready for 12 consecutive years of Democrats in the highest office.

Jesus, can't you all do any better than the likes of that stupid *****?

I think Rand Paul is a charming idiot. He may unite libertarians and the conservative movement, but anyone who would not tolerate abortion even in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother will never be elected unless you take the right to vote away from women. (Such a person also could never be described as a libertarian with a straight face).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it my imagination, or is she being steered by her fellows & some media towards a 2016 presidential win?
We've seen the results of our 2 big wars (over $1 trillion in cost just to us) which she largely supported (voted for the Iraq war). It's likely that she'll continue the neo-con agenda of costly foreign adventurism. Add to this that her health care proposal from so long ago was far more authoritarian than Obamacare. In our time filled with death, economic loss, & erosion of civil liberties, let's hope that the cry "It's time we elect a woman" doesn't work.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Is it my imagination, or is she being steered by her fellows & some media towards a 2016 presidential win?
We've seen the results of our 2 big wars (over $1 trillion in cost just to us) which she largely supported (voted for the Iraq war). It's likely that she'll continue the neo-con agenda of costly foreign adventurism. Add to this that her health care proposal from so long ago was far more authoritarian than Obamacare. In our time filled with death, economic loss, & erosion of civil liberties, let's hope that the cry "It's time we elect a woman" doesn't work.
Hell if it is a woman they want, lets elect Dr. Condie Rice! :yes: