• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking is itself religious

Onkara

Has it ever occurred to you that seeking is as spiritual as being a part of a major religion? What do you think?

Seeking is spiritual, through the search for an answer we are thinking about our life and God. The actions which arise from seeking are themselves good and valuable. I don't think we should underestimate the search.

If there arises a sense of distance between you and God then we can see that distance as divine.

If we take the writing of the Sikh guru's it is clear they knew this and felt the longing to be a part of their relationship with their Beloved God. They knew that the longing and the search as both a part of God's will on them, like a husband and a bride long to be together:

Merai anṯar locẖā milaṇ kī ki▫o pāvā parabẖ ṯohi.
Deep within me is the longing to meet You; how can I find You, God?

Ko▫ī aisā sajaṇ loṛ lahu jo mele parīṯam mohi.
I will search for someone, some friend, who will unite me with my Beloved.

Gur pūrai melā▫i▫ā jaṯ ḏekẖā ṯaṯ so▫e.
The Perfect Guru has united me with Him; wherever I look, there He is.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree! I consider myself a Seeker, and find that my longing for knowledge of God means that I am thinking of God quite a lot. It is its own kind of spirituality.

chinu

chinu
I don't think we should underestimate the search.
You are right.

Yes! these lines recommeds the need of a Spiritual master.

Normally it is being said that: Agya pai akal ki tabe chalyo panth, har sikhen ko hukam hai guru manyo granth.

But i have never found this quote written inside Respected "GGS".
Yes! it is printed on the outer of some "birh sahibs" but not inside.

Because i have personally checked some old "Birh Sahibs" kept in "Talwandi sabho" (Akal takth), which is nearby to my Home Town.

Specially in the Respected Hand written "Birh sahib" by bhai mani singh which is kept at on the top floor of "Harimander Sahib" (Amritsar).

Some Links watch this: GURU GOBIND SINGH

He then opened the Granth Sahib, placed five paise and a coco-nut before it and solemnly bowed to it as his SUCCESSOR, GURU GRANTH SAHIB. Saying ‘Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh’, he circumambulated the sacred volume and proclaimed,” O beloved Khalsa, let him who desireth to behold me, behold the Guru Granth. Obey the Granth Sahib. It is the visible body of the Gurus. And let him who desireth to meet me, diligently search its hymns.” He then sang his self-composed hymn23 :

“Agya bhai Akal ki tabhi chalayo Panth
Sabh Sikhan ko hukam hai Guru manyo Granth
Guru Granth Ji manyo pargat Guran ki deh
Jo Prabhu ko milbo chahe khoj shabad mein le.”

_/\_Chinu.

Onkara

Hi Maduri and Chinu
Good to know your thoughts. :)

Chinu
Do you have an English translation for "Agya pai akal ki tabe chalyo panth, har sikhen ko hukam hai guru manyo granth." I am not able to find it easily and do not grasp your point. :eek:

I should have mentioned that the quote above is from the SGGS page 957 online Sri Granth: Shabad/Paurhi/Salok SGGS Page 957

chinu

chinu

Do you know where these Quotes are written in "GGS".

_/\_Chinu.

Onkara

Chinu
No, I am afraid I do not. If I can find them I will post here.
Perhaps Gursikhji or others can help :)

chinu

chinu
Chinu
No, I am afraid I do not. If I can find them I will post here.
Perhaps Gursikhji or others can help :)

One day while surfing on the net i found This link:
Untitled Document

(This is said in the rahitnama of Prahalad Singh, who says that Gurmukh Singh ordained him to write this rahitnama).

If the Granth 'Guru' was an established fact, the above decree by the 'Singh Sabha' in "1919" (nearly two hundred years after Guru Gobind Singh) would not have been necessary.
The authenticity of the Dohra "Agya Bhaee Akaal Ki tabi Chalaeo Panth. Sab Sikhan ko hukam hai Guru Maneo Granth."
The above 'dohra' (couplet) is chanted after 'ardas' in most gurdwaras and is thought to be the last decree (hukam) of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, after he ordained the 'Gurgaddi' to the Adi Granth at Nanded.
The above 'dohra' is catagorilly not Guru Gobind Singh Ji's last command - as it is not in any of Guru's hukamnamas or the 'Dasam Granth'.
A brief history of this 'dohra' is as follows:-
This 'dohra' was first published in the 2nd. edition of the 'Panth Parkash' of Giani Gian Singh in Bik. 1943. at Amritsar. But before this edition three editions of the 'Panth Parkash' had already been printed. The first one in Delhi in Bik. 1936., second one in Lahore in Bik. 1941 and third one in Lahore in Bik.1943 of stone print. In fact this Bik. 1943 Amritsar printed 'Panth Parkash' called the second edition should have been the fourth edition - but it has second edition printed on it and the 'dohra' included in this. The previous three editions do not contain this 'dohra'. A few years ago (1980's AD) the 'Panth Parkash' was edited and published by Bhai Sahib Bhai Kirpal Singh Ji ex-head Granthi of the Golden Temple and he clearly states under what circumstances this 'dohra' was included in the 'Panth Parkash' without the knowledge of Giani Gian Singh Ji who had given all his rights to the Singh Sabha at that time because of his illness, and how the Singh Sabha took advantage of that and distorted the original texts of Giani Ji.
Another place where this 'dohra' is supposed to be written is the 'Rahitnama' of Prahlad Singh. When we look at the Mahankosh - Bhai Kahn Singh dismisses this 'dohra' as a fabrication by some poet -as the date on this rahitnama is Bik. 1752 when the Khalsa was not even created nor Guru Ji was at Nanded ( Copy from Mahankosh can be seen here) . The Singh Sabha leader Gurmukh Singh was solely responsible for this falsehood. (This is said in the rahitnama of Prahalad Singh, who says that Gurmukh Singh ordained him to write this rahitnama).

I don't know this is really right or wrong or what really happened that time, but i cannot underestimate this because people can do anything or can edit or add in Respected "Gurbani" in according to fit there own convinence.
More over several times in "Gurbani" the need & presence of "Guru" in every genration is quoted as complusary.
Like: "Janam Janam Sant bhale prab tere"
or "Kou jis vakkar lain tu aya, ram naam santan ghar paya"
or "Prab milve ko preet man lagi, paye lagoo karoo benanti kou sant mile vadbhagi"
or "Bhan pakar Gur kadya so hi utterya paar"
And many more...

And I Strongly mean: If these lines are not dictated by "Guru Gobind Singh Ji" to "Bhai Mani Singh" to write in Respected "GGS".
I, say which religion says that Our holy book is not god ? or which religion says that our religion is not true ?
I, belive that weather hindu,sikh, muslim or christian everbody is same for God.
_/\_Chinu.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

"Under orders of the Immortal being the Panth was started.
All Sikhs are enjoined to accept the Granth as their Guru.
Consider Guru Granth as representing Guru's body.
Those who wish to meet God can find the way in its hymns."
- Guru Gobind Singh, his last sermon​

I searched online for the translation. Is it correct? :)

Has it ever occurred to you that seeking is as spiritual as being a part of a major religion? What do you think?
I think that seeking is most definitely as spiritual as being part of a religion: after all, as a seeker, one searches for God.

I think as soon as one stops seeking even when they are in a religion they are comfortable with, they are blinding themselves to legalisms--following the customs and traditions, but not focusing on God. It's all too common unfortunately.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear - Thomas Jefferson

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use - Galileo

Onkara

I think that seeking is most definitely as spiritual as being part of a religion: after all, as a seeker, one searches for God.

I think as soon as one stops seeking even when they are in a religion they are comfortable with, they are blinding themselves to legalisms--following the customs and traditions, but not focusing on God. It's all too common unfortunately.

Hi Odion
I think you are on to something here :)

Life itself is fluid, it is continually changing, twisting and turning each day, each minute! So too is our relationship with the divine!

The search is already symbolic that we have reached the divine - God is in our heart and mind - now we are flowing along with Him - let us now enjoy the ride :)

Kai'a

Freethinker
Imo seeking *is* indeed spiritual, though depends how one understands 'religious'; is it about affiliation with any organized religion? Is it about the seeking of God(s), or, anything divine, therefore not requiring organized religions?

I think 'spiritual' covers what seeking is a bit better, 'religious' being more a *part* of the spiritual, and perhaps harder to reach, at least ime. Both are valid, though.

Onkara

Hi Kai'a
You raise some tricky questions on the term "religious". Do those who fall into an organised religion consider that their search has ended? And what does the end of the search actually mean?

I would say that even those who are happy to embrace an organised religion see that it is helpful for them to find what they are looking for and to provide answers on the way. In my eyes it is still a "search" but within previously charted boundaries. :)

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend onkara,

Seeking is itself religious
Personal understanding is that only when the has that glance; only when the seeker and the sought has become one does religion which means a path or way to is practiced.
Rgds spirituality have mentioned that a form is like water which is in the form of ice and usually humans start that way and then slowly understands the spiritual part of his own form and conserves energy to be a flow or be like water and then conserves more energy to be vapour and lose the form merging with the whole.
Man by nature itself is spiritual but knowing itself is not enough one has to be that spirit to actually merge and that path that one takes to be that spirit is what religion is.

Love & rgds

Seeking is spiritual, through the search for an answer we are thinking about our life and God. The actions which arise from seeking are themselves good and valuable. I don't think we should underestimate the search.

If there arises a sense of distance between you and God then we can see that distance as divine.

If we take the writing of the Sikh guru's it is clear they knew this and felt the longing to be a part of their relationship with their Beloved God. They knew that the longing and the search as both a part of God's will on them, like a husband and a bride long to be together:

Merai anṯar locẖā milaṇ kī ki▫o pāvā parabẖ ṯohi.
Deep within me is the longing to meet You; how can I find You, God?

Ko▫ī aisā sajaṇ loṛ lahu jo mele parīṯam mohi.

Gur pūrai melā▫i▫ā jaṯ ḏekẖā ṯaṯ so▫e.
Onkarah, my friend, it has been a long time!

A very thought provoking post on which I would agree. The search IS religious or spiritual, meaning both of course.
I believe that all longing is the longing for God, regardless of how you would define God, or even the longing you feel. Even the darkest paths will inevitably bring you back to the Light. Though for the sake of your mortal sanity, choose a path that is luminated.Those that are not make the journey back to God more painful then need be!
You will know you are on an Illuminated path when fears, anxieties and doubts begin to fade, for when you do you will become aware of what is true, for Truth is beyond fear, anxiety and doubt. The light at the end of the tunnel you could say!

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I think this reminds me of the adage that "The practice is the realization"
The practice in this case, being the Intentional Seeking of Connectedness or Unity.

However I personally feel, It's already inside and around us, we just merely are Seeking a Way to Know that deep connection and have a relationship with It.
Each moment of awareness if a chance at lifting the veils, brushing away the dust and finding that we're already ON the Path.

:namaste
SageTree

Last edited:

Onkara

A very thought provoking post on which I would agree. The search IS religious or spiritual, meaning both of course.
I believe that all longing is the longing for God, regardless of how you would define God, or even the longing you feel. Even the darkest paths will inevitably bring you back to the Light. Though for the sake of your mortal sanity, choose a path that is luminated.Those that are not make the journey back to God more painful then need be!
You will know you are on an Illuminated path when fears, anxieties and doubts begin to fade, for when you do you will become aware of what is true, for Truth is beyond fear, anxiety and doubt. The light at the end of the tunnel you could say!
Nothing :)
Sound points. Picking up on the "longing" you talk about, this longing is what I personally feel provokes us to try to find an organised religion in which we fit and relax, as if it were a product which would give us God and we can put our spiritual feet-up and rest.

I feel that even organised religion implies the search continues for the individual but within predetermined boundaries, rather than as the individual finds they are charting themselves - hopefully as you say an illuminated path without doubts :)

Bravo! The greatest things come in small quotas.
Thank you for the voice of support, Bhaktajanji :)

However I personally feel, It's already inside and around us, we just merely are Seeking a Way to Know that deep connection and have a relationship with It.
Each moment of awareness if a chance at lifting the veils, brushing away the dust and finding that we're already ON the Path.
Sagetree
Yes! For some the search sets out to distinguish logic for life, for others it is as you say "seeking a deep connection and relationship" with what they have found. In my opinion both are still powerful and valid if we take the whole search itself to be divine in nature - as it is :) I wonder if there are many other ways the search evolves itself.

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla

hi Nothing , i have nothing to say after your post ! :p

ਹਉ ਖੜੀ ਨਿਹਾਲੀ ਪੰਧੁ ਮਤੁ ਮੂੰ ਸਜਣੁ ਆਵਏ ॥
I stand by the side of the road, waiting for You; O my Friend, I hope that You will come.

ਕੋ ਆਣਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੈ ਅਜੁ ਮੈ ਪਿਰੁ ਮੇਲਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਏ ॥
If only someone would come today and unite me in Union with my Beloved.

ਹਉ ਜੀਉ ਕਰੀ ਤਿਸ ਵਿਟਉ ਚਉ ਖੰਨੀਐ ਜੋ ਮੈ ਪਿਰੀ ਦਿਖਾਵਏ ॥
I would cut my living body into four pieces for anyone who shows me my Beloved.

ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਮੇਲਾਵਏ ॥੫॥
O Nanak, when the Lord becomes merciful, then He leads us to meet the Perfect Guru. ||5||

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
I am with Gursikh. I think Nothing has done a wonderful job in expressing my own position better than I would have. I feel the conciseness of Nothings reply reflects the enlightenment within.
:namaste