• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for truth

Fire away....we're listening.
mayi.gif

Why the KJV? Take your scripture from a variety of translations....you get a better overview that way.
reading.gif

Biblegateway has a good selection of translations.
Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 3:22-24 - New Living Translation
Thanks i have just looked at bible gateway it does have many translations

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Thanks i have just looked at bible gateway it does have many translations

With any passage I like to consult a few different translations (not paraphrased ones so much but even they can offer some perspective) and then when I have the wording, I like to consult Strongs Concordance to define the words in the passage from the original language. Free Bible Tools - Strong's Concordance With Greek & Hebrew!

Simply type in the passage you want, (Matthew 24:14 e.g.) and the translation you prefer, and then click the "search" button. It will bring up the passage in its context (very important to see any Bible verse in its context)
Up the top you will see "Strongs" so click on that and numbers will come up (click on the numbers for the definition) that will tell you the exact translation of any word used in the scriptures in their original meanings. Its a great tool.

Bible study can be very rewarding when you have the tools to dig deeper. Language definitions change so much over time, so its important to ditch the outdated translations and find the ones that convey accuracy in our modern usage. The confusion then disappears. If you get stuck, just ask.....:) there will no doubt be a few different views offered. Meditate on them and build your faith on what the scriptures tell you and what resonates in your own heart.

All the best.

Vijay B Menon

Let the flower bloom
If Truth is what you're after, your best bet is to look inside yourself.
The odds of anybody else knowing about it are almost zero.
Truth cannot be found by any Analysis.
Analysis itself means a division.
Let it flower by its own. not by any volition.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Truth cannot be found by any Analysis.
Analysis itself means a division.
Let it flower by its own. not by any volition.

To me comparing verses and passages by topic or subject arrangement is Not necessarily Analysis.
The Bible is unique in that it has corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages by topic or subject arrangement thus showing the internal harmony between its many different writers thought out the centuries.

With any passage I like to consult a few different translations (not paraphrased ones so much but even they can offer some perspective) and then when I have the wording, I like to consult Strongs Concordance to define the words in the passage from the original language. Free Bible Tools - Strong's Concordance With Greek & Hebrew!

Simply type in the passage you want, (Matthew 24:14 e.g.) and the translation you prefer, and then click the "search" button. It will bring up the passage in its context (very important to see any Bible verse in its context)
Up the top you will see "Strongs" so click on that and numbers will come up (click on the numbers for the definition) that will tell you the exact translation of any word used in the scriptures in their original meanings. Its a great tool.

Bible study can be very rewarding when you have the tools to dig deeper. Language definitions change so much over time, so its important to ditch the outdated translations and find the ones that convey accuracy in our modern usage. The confusion then disappears. If you get stuck, just ask.....:) there will no doubt be a few different views offered. Meditate on them and build your faith on what the scriptures tell you and what resonates in your own heart.

All the best.
Ok thanks what are your thoughts on slavery in the bible?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Ok thanks what are your thoughts on slavery in the bible?

Slavery was practiced in Bible times pre-dating the formation of the nation of Israel. You may remember that Jacob's son Joseph was sold into slavery by his jealous brothers. Many forms of slavery were cruel and often with a high mortality rate. Joseph's experience showed that he was very trustworthy and yet when his master's wife falsely accused him of attempted rape, as a slave, he had no rights and was thrown into prison for years in spite of the fact that he was innocent.

The slavery practiced in Israel was more akin to employment. Penalties existed for mistreating a slave under the Law. Some went into slavery voluntarily to pay off a debt and some were sentenced under law to compensate a victim of their crime. It was lawful to beat a slave who was disobedient or disrespectful to a master, but we must also remember that a rebellious son could be stoned to death if he was deemed to be incorrigible. Mercy could mitigate in certain cases, but only where it was deemed to be warranted. They were different times in a completely different culture.

The slavery practiced in Israel was certainly not the kind practiced in the American south or even in other ancient civilizations such as Greece. There was no kindness given in most of those cases and slaves were "owned" and horribly abused, especially the women.
Galley slaves and mine workers rarely saw the light of day and were often worked to death.

For Israelite women, slavery meant a roof over their head and at least some food and clothing. It was better than begging on the street. Sadly, slavery is still practiced in some poorer countries and children are still horribly exploited.

12jtartar

Premium Member
Hi I'm new to forums looking for clarification on scriptures in KJV.

Stonecrown29295,
If you want truth you have come to the wrong program. I keep referring to the Bible as THE authority, and the rulers of this site keep interfering with my references, claiming that the Bible is not a good reference. I believe there is no better reference, because all truth comes from The Almighty God, Jehovah, the author of the Bible. The rulers of this site seem not to want truth used here!!!

Stonecrown29295,
If you want truth you have come to the wrong program. I keep referring to the Bible as THE authority, and the rulers of this site keep interfering with my references, claiming that the Bible is not a good reference. I believe there is no better reference, because all truth comes from The Almighty God, Jehovah, the author of the Bible. The rulers of this site seem not to want truth used here!!!
Do you have any evidence of interference?