• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology

Popeyesays

adthelad said:
I have never encountered Xenu and body thetans in Scientology, though to my detriment I've read all about them on sites attacking Scientology.

Scientology is different to some religions in that you are not asked or supposed to believe anything. You just read what LRH wrote and see how it compares to your experience and whether it is useful or not. I don't believe anything I have no understanding or experience of.

I think that's an apt description of an inward looking philosophy. Most religions ask the individual to look inward at first, but then to reach out and act with others in mind. I don't see that Scientology does that, it's concerned only with the self to find 'use' for one's faith.

I don't think there is a 'Golden Rule' statement in Scientology, is there?

Regards,
Scott

adthelad

Moni_Gail said:
One, I'm a SHE, not he. I didn't evade your question seeing as how I didn't even notice it. Although now that I see it, it seems to be rhetorical.
It didn't seem like you deliberately evaded my question - my statement to Halcyon was more about what he wrote than what you wrote.
My question was in no way argumentative. I see no reason for your contempt.
I honestly have no contempt for you Moni!

You invited questioning and offered no stipulations. In my eyes, this means that you should take questions as they come.
Got you. I don't think there's any should about it though! And I appreciate your input and your willingness to communicate and iron out misunderstanding.

It wasn't meant to be a rhetorical question by the way!

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
adthelad said:
Yes. We dress up in costumes and watch Battlefield Earth and LRH B-films continuously in the belief it will give us spiritual attainment.

Seriously though - who do you think wants people to believe Scientologists follow works of fiction and why?

I honestly couldn't tell you. I remember hearing this about 7 years ago. Other than that, the only things I've heard on the subject is from the media concerning Tom Cruise. This is why I just ignore all of it, he's not exactly someone I would want to judge an entire group by.

:D

adthelad

Moni_Gail said:
I honestly couldn't tell you. I remember hearing this about 7 years ago. Other than that, the only things I've heard on the subject is from the media concerning Tom Cruise. This is why I just ignore all of it, he's not exactly someone I would want to judge an entire group by.

:D

It's worth thinking about. Wars, crime, insanity etc don't just happen - they have a basic cause. Some people think the best way to survive is to drag people down because they think (based on their own opinion of themselves) people are dangerous.
Tom is a good guy. Some of the stuff written in the mass media is incredible.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
lilithu said:
This thread makes no sense at all. I'm assuming that posts have been deleted?

Several posts have been deleted for debating in a DIR Forum, which is not allowed.

adthelad

Popeyesays said:
I think that's an apt description of an inward looking philosophy. Most religions ask the individual to look inward at first, but then to reach out and act with others in mind. I don't see that Scientology does that, it's concerned only with the self to find 'use' for one's faith.

I don't think there is a 'Golden Rule' statement in Scientology, is there?

Regards,
Scott

There is a common sense guide to happy living in The Way To Happiness. ( http://www.thewaytohappiness.org ) which includes that.

One slogan we have is "Something CAN be done about it" regarding every single problem that exists!!! It's quite unreal to most people that everything wrong in the world can be put right - but we're doing it!

Some of the stuff we're engaged in is:

http://www.volunteerministers.org/
http://www.youthforhumanrights.org/
http://www.criminon.org/
http://www.narconon.org/
http://www.appliedscholastics.org/

BeerStein

I wonder if you can tell us some detail about the process of auditing.

What sort of questions? How are you encouraged to "deal" with them when the bip meter goes off?

This is not having a go at CoS or you.... from what I can determine it sounds rational to me except some discussion about being aliens or something? Is that what you believe?

adthelad

You should try auditing out for yourself to really understand it! You can get a free session from all churches. Dianetics or the dianetics video/DVD are good to explain it too, and better than that I give you some second-hand idea of how it happens.

Nothing in Scientology is there to be believed - you experience what you experience and make your own mind up. The only necessary belief is that it is possible to improve the human condition (otherwise you're not going to bother trying anything out). The stuff about aliens is posted by people who want to make Scientology seem ridiculous.

IanAlmighty

Lurking Existentialist
I can imagine that most of those Xenu and alien soul stories are overexagerated to be prejudice against Scientology, however there is some firm belief in otherworldly beings, is there not?
Also, I would like to see BearStein's questions answered at least partially since most of us probably won't try out auditing for ourselves.

Booko

Deviled Hen
IanAlmighty said:
Also, I would like to see BearStein's questions answered at least partially since most of us probably won't try out auditing for ourselves.

You might want to ask YmirGF about his brief experience. Or I think there's some discussion in this thread:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=550104

If you want to talk about it, don't do it in this thread, though, as this is the DIR Scientology forum and the rules are pretty restrictive.

adthelad

IanAlmighty said:
I can imagine that most of those Xenu and alien soul stories are overexagerated to be prejudice against Scientology, however there is some firm belief in otherworldly beings, is there not?

Like I said before:
Nothing in Scientology is there to be believed - you experience what you experience and make your own mind up.
But I realise it's unusual to have a religion that isn't based on belief. I can say that from the information I've come across outside of Scientology I personally believe there are otherwordly beings out there somewhere. But this belief is not particularly important to me and is definitely not important in Scientology.

The questions you are asked relate to your past. The emeter is used by the auditor to help find incidents that are highly emotionally charged.

Some more info here:

http://www.dianetics.org/en_US/faq/index.html

But because there is nothing like Dianetics you really need to experience it yourself to understand it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
*** MOD POST ***

This is the DIR Scientology forum, and as such the rules are more restrictive than in open debate forums.

11.) Attacking other religions in these forums is not tolerated. These forums are for education of the Religion or system in the title of the forum and fellowship only, not discounting other religions.

4.) While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. We will allow faith to be debated and discussed by a member only when there is no hostile, rude, or insulting opinion of another's faith. The same applies to international conflicts; hostile, rude or insulting opinions of one of the sides to an international conflict will not be allowed. These restrictions to an open debate or discussion also apply to material linked and/or quoted from another site. Our decision is final in these matters.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
Introduction to Scientology

The word Scientology literally means "the study of truth." It comes from the Latin word "scio" meaning "knowing in the fullest sense of the word" and the Greek word "logos" meaning "study of."

Scientology is the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, others and all of life. The religion comprises a body of knowledge extending from certain fundamental truths. Prime among these:
Man is an immortal, spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime. His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized — and those capabilities can be realized. He is able to not only solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also achieve new, higher states of awareness and ability.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
To appreciate the scope of L. Ron Hubbard’s life, his varied experiences and the many lands he visited in pursuit of answers to the human dilemma, the following chronicle has been provided. It is designed to give readers some feel for his progress and the sequence of steps leading to the discoveries for which he is so respected today.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
Drugs are one of the biggest problems in the world today, affecting millions of people in every nation. Among the hardest hit by this crisis are young people. Sixty-one percent of the high school students in Europe have consumed alcohol within the last 30 days, 17 percent, marijuana and 3 percent use harder drugs. In the United States, 41 percent of all tenth graders have tried marijuana and 23 percent have used other illicit drugs.