• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific Evidence for Universal Common Descent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Here is a graphic that shows the structure of the chromosome. I think perhaps the main problem is in understanding the complexity & inflexibility of the genetic structure.

chromosome+unravel.jpg

You cannot just take chromosomes from one organism, & plug them into another, or fuse them, or split them, to 'create' a new organism, with different genetic makeup. That is scientifically impossible, yet it is the central assertion of the ToE. The genes WITHIN the chromosomes are completely different, & do not correlate. Similarity does not imply descendancy. That is where the science of genetics has given us a more complete understanding of living things.
Oversimplification and a strawman.

Evolution occurs at a genetic level, not chromosomal. Chromosomes can change as a result of genetic changes, but this is not a sudden occurrence and not as simple as "plugging one into another". That's not how evolution works, or has ever been alleged to work.

usfan

This is a lie. We observe new species arising both in labs an in nature all of the time.
No ad hom or false accusations needed, in a scientific rebuttal.

..only if you arbitrarily define 'species!' But if you go by genetic architecture. follow the mtdna flags, and let haplogroups define speciation, there is no evidence of new 'species!', traits, and unique genomic architectures. It is circular reasoning, by definition, and uses the ambiguity of terminology to fool the uninformed.
Please present evidence that there are different "types" of genes, rather than simply different "arrangements" of genes.
Easy. Look at the traits of a chimp. Now look at the traits of a human. There are huge genetic differences. Their genes are different. Their bones, muscles, skin, hair, eyes, and just about everything is completely different, non-interchangeable, and unique to that species/haplotype.
Please demonstrate this, because it literally contradicts everything that we currently understand about DNA.
I would say it likely conflicts with the indoctrination, but not the actual facts.

Scientifically, there is no evidence that the chimp's 24 chromosomes, & their thousands of genes, could or did fuse to form the human chromosome, with their thousands of genes in each one. There is too much variety, & the leap between the 2 is too great, genetically, to have happened naturally. We can't even do it in a lab.. Unless you can come up with a mechanism that can affect these kinds of changes, the leap is too great, & the concept is absurd. it is a belief, with no basis in science.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You're correct, that's how the scientific method works. The BBT is a model for how the universe came to be in it's current form. Just like the theory that the Earth revolves around the sun is based on a model that explains how the bodies in our solar system interact with one another. And the theory of evolution is a model that explains the observable fact that life forms change over time. The way that all of these hypothesis have become scientific theories is because they do explain all of the verifiable evidence and there is no verifiable evidence that contradicts the model. Thus in order for any competing model to ever become a genuine theory it would also have to explain all of the verifiable evidence and have no verifiable evidence that contradicts the model.

Of course, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my assertions about the OP.
Scientists don't have to recreate the Big Bang in order to determine that it happened, any more than police have to recreate a murder in order to determine that a person was murdered.
Rather, both leave evidence behind that can be assessed and analyzed so that conclusions can be drawn (or not).

usfan

'Chromosome fusion' is not the mechanism you hope for, as it does not account for the more critical differences in the genes. Merely fusing chromosomes does not change the genes, which are carried over from the parent to child for as long as we have tested the limits of genetics. THAT is the central problem, to account for the variation (or lack thereof) within the chromosome pairs.. the number of pairs are not the traits, but only the carriers.. the 'file cabinets' that contain the genes. But it is the genes themselves that make an organism what it is. Your eye color, skin, hair, height, features, even intelligence, are products of your genetics.. handed down to you by your parents. There is no provision for adding or changing features that your parents did not already possess. So the assumption that genes can just flit about, or change randomly, or be created on the fly, is absurd, & has no scientific basis.

usfan

Kind of like this:
genome = book
chromosome = chapter
genes = words

But there is also the added variable of language, which correlates to each genetic haplogroup. A Canid's genome would be like 'War and Peace', in Russian. The Cat's genome is like a Tantric book in Hindi. Humans can be analogous to an Egyptian hieroglyph.

You can't take a word, sentence, or chapter, and replace it in another genome. That is the reality of genetics, that beliefs and assertions cannot change.

usfan

The 'Lego Block!' view, or the 'Mr Potato head interchangeable parts' perception of genetics, is widely believed. And, since potatoes have 24 chromosomes, and resemble some people in intelligence and appearance, perhaps that is accurate! :D

But perhaps there are some that really believe they descended from a potato..

They have an altar set up in their mom's basement with a real Mr. Potato head.. hat, big lips, and all. ..maybe even a MRS Potato head, for the true Believers. ;)

Every day, they have pangs of guilt, when they have to ask, "You want fries, with that?"

But there is no justification for my mashing of potato ancestry worship.. any more than those who revere apes or chimps as their ancestors, or at least their kin.

No, when the chips are down, spuditry is a low blow.. tubers need love, too. We should do it for the tater tots, if no one else. :D

Besides, i can see they have a-peel for those floundering in the deep fryer of human angst.. maybe spud worship will peel away the mysteries of life.

I think.. therefore i yam...

:facepalm:
..sorry about that.. hard for me to not inject a little humor in a dull and humorless 'debate'.. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Kind of like this:
genome = book
chromosome = chapter
genes = words

But there is also the added variable of language, which correlates to each genetic haplogroup. A Canid's genome would be like 'War and Peace', in Russian. The Cat's genome is like a Tantric book in Hindi. Humans can be analogous to an Egyptian hieroglyph.

You can't take a word, sentence, or chapter, and replace it in another genome. That is the reality of genetics, that beliefs and assertions cannot change.

Of course you can take a word, sentence or chapter and change it. Authors do it all the time, and why do you think there are over 200 English language versions of the bible and who knows how many in other languages.

You chose a very poor comparison there, so poor ut totally blasts your idea out if the water.

usfan

Ok, up to now, i have,

1. Phylogenetic tree/nested hierarchies/morphological similarities
2. Chromosomal fusion/split

I've replied to each. Is there anything else?

My summary:
1. Morphological similarity (looks like!) does not compel a conclusion of descent. The genes are problematic, as they may 'look!' similar, but they are different and unique to each genetic haplogroup.
2. Chromosomal fusion or splits is conjecture. The genes within the chromosomes are different, in each unique haplogroup. There is no evidence that this can happen, or did happen, in spite of centuries of attempts to create new haplotypes.

Of course, everyone can believe whatever they wish. I am merely providing a critical examination of the most widely held belief in origins, at this time.

usfan

Of course you can take a word, sentence or chapter and change it. Authors do it all the time, and why do you think there are over 200 English language versions of the bible and who knows how many in other languages.

You chose a very poor comparison there, so poor ut totally blasts your idea out if the water.
No, you just did not read the analogy, but launched into righteously indignant talking points..

Try taking a chapter from a tantric Hindi book, and putting it in 'war & Peace,' in Russian.

Maybe it will make perfect sense, in Progresso World.. :shrug:

Reading comprehension is not important, just pounding a propaganda drum..
/shakes head/

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, it is easy to argue against, as evidence. It is just an assertion.
There you go again, trying to wave away inconvenient facts by pretending they're merely assertions.

Let's try again. Specifically, what part of the DNA evidence for evolution do you dispute?

Specifically, what evidence do you rely on in challenging it?

Specifically, cite the science that agrees with you.

Then we can discuss it.
alternatives, such as alien seeding, aren't the topic. Common descent must stand on its own merits.
'Alien seeding' is an hypothesis that shifts abiogenesis off the earth to some unspecified elsewhere. It has nothing to do with evolution.

Whereas anyone relying on Genesis special creation of 'kinds' is relying on magic.

What do you rely on?

QuestioningMind

I might be, but probably not. This isn't my first rodeo. Ive been debating origins for over 40 years. ;)

I make no demands. I do not expect anyone's minds will change. This is a discussion forum, and this topic is a popular subject for discussion.

No need to be sorry. ..Nor premptive strikes and warnings. How about we discuss a topic that is:
1. Controversial
2. Emotional
3. Allegedly empirical
4. Polemical
5. Interesting
..with as much rationality and empiricism as we can? A novel concept, in opinion forums, but why not?

Ok. This is your belief, that the existence of DNA, somehow proves common descent.
My rebuttal: It does not. That is an asserted belief, with no evidence.

Yes, so you believe. And while common descent is a religious belief, we are not doing a comparative religion thread. This is specifically about UCD, not other theories or beliefs of origins.
If you have no evidence or valid arguments, you can still heckle and disrupt from the sidelines.. but i won't always reply.

..similar to the DNA! assertion, mentioned earlier. But it is incumbent on you to show HOW 'Nested hierarchies!', is evidence. Merely stating phrases isn't much of an argument..:shrug:

Yes, you can pile on with criticisms of me, but the subject is still plain & simple. If you don't know the subject, or don't like it, you don't have to contribute.

Good reply. Someone is finally attempting to present actual evidence for this theory.

Here's the problem with this statement.
1. 'Genealogy of species', is just another way of saying common descent. It is circular reasoning. 'Organisms descended. They look related, and you can see similarities. Therefore, evolution!'
2. DNA analysis does not confirm morphology. That is a subjective, "looks like!', argument. DNA is unique and locked in with each species/haplogroup. Genetics is a problem, not a supporter, of common descent. Everything we are learning about genetics screams, 'NO!' to ucd. Gene don't do that..

Exactly. There are other possibilities than 'common descent!' Similarity of construction and materials does not prove descent.

They are functionally the same, and close enough for this debate. If you want to parse nuances from each, to make a point, do it!

Not at all. That is the central problem.. assumption.. for the theory.

Evolution has a central flaw. It is contrary to observed reality. The Theory of Evolution is basically a logical problem. It is a False Equivalence. It is argued that since living things change within their genetic parameters, that they also change outside of their genetic parameters. Since moths can be different colors, perhaps they can also become a different creature entirely. This concept is repeated over & over ad nauseum, until the concept seem not only plausible, but believed as proven fact.

The argument for common descent is based on alleged INCREMENTAL changes, that add up to big ones. But it ignores the HUGE problem of genetic parameters.. limits upon the changes that can be made.

For example, you can incrementally travel from New York to LA in daily, small steps. If you just took a few steps a day, it might take years for you to reach your destination. The ToE makes the false equivalence that since organisms can be observed taking 'small steps' in this way, they assume that the big changes are just added up small changes. But the genetic parameters are ignored. If you correlate many small steps in traveling between cities to interstellar travel, your arguments will fail, as the very restrictive limitation of gravity & distance is ignored. You cannot take many small steps to reach the moon.. Gravity will return you to the earth every time, UNLESS there is a mechanism to overcome gravity.

In the same way, DNA is like gravity. It will return you to the same organism EVERY TIME. It will allow horizontal variability, but it will NOT allow vertical changes in the basic genetic structure. That is observable, repeatable science.

The science of breeding or natural selection conflicts with the ToE. You do not observe increasing traits being available for organisms, but DECREASING. That is how you 'breed' a certain trait in an animal, or narrow the choices the offspring have. You do not add traits constantly, as is suggested by the ToE, but you reduce them, at times to the detriment of the organism, which can go extinct if it cannot adapt with the needed variability. A parent organism might have 50 possibilities of hair, skin, eye, or other cosmetic traits. By 'selecting' certain ones, either by breeding or by natural selection, you REDUCE the available options. THAT is observed reality, but the ToE claims just the opposite, that organisms are constantly making new genes to ADD variability. This is a flawed view with a basis in 19th century science, not what we know about in modern genetics. The high walls of genetics is the gravity that prevents vertical changes. It will allow the variability that remains within the dna, which contains millions of bits of information & possibilities. But there is NO EVIDENCE that any organism creates new genetic material or can turn scales in to feathers, or fins into feet. Those leaps are in light years, genetically speaking. It is impossible. It could not have happened, & we do not see it happening, now. All we observe is the simple, horizontal variability WITHIN the genetic parameters of the life form. Simply asserting that minor back & forth movement within the horizontal limits of variability does not prove the ability to incrementally build up to major changes in the genetic structure

see above. Perhaps i will post that argument in a separate post, for easier rebutting.

Yes, many people believe in pseudo science, or science by decree. They do not have the mental discipline to follow scientific methodology.

Fine. Don't participate in this discussion, if it triggers you so..

Not at all. There are HUGE differences between birds and reptiles. 'Looks like!' descendancy is an argument of plausibility, not evidence.
1. Warm blood vs cold.
2. Light, hollow bones vs heavy ones.
3. Scales vs feathers.

It is not enough to ASSERT 'descendancy!', it must be shown, scientifically, that it could happen. HOW do you get to the massive changes in the DNA?

Yes, as evidenced in threads like this:
1. Jihadist zeal
2. Religious bigotry for competing beliefs
3. Neglect of science and reason, for assertion and dogmatic insistence

..this is about common descent. A scientific theory must stand on its own merits. Comparative religion is not useful in that examination.

Fine. Don't participate in this discussion, if it triggers you so..

Oh, but I WANT to participate. Specifically I want to point out how your OP is a childish form of mental masturbation. How, instead of presenting your 'arguments' to actual scientists who work in the field you are disparaging, you have chosen to instead present your arguments to a bunch of laymen and laywomen. That way you get to feel all superior because the people you're arguing with can't summarize such a complex theory in a couple of simple paragraphs. But of course the reason you don't present your ground breaking arguments to people who actually do the science is because you know you'd get laughed off the forum.

The truth of the matter is that DNA alone provides ample verifiable evidence to validate the ToE. Until you provide evidence that you've actually studied the results and found flaws in the argument that counters the established science, the rest of us can safely dismiss your childish attempts to boost your fragile ego.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Bizarre. I have not jumped to any conclusions about YOUR beliefs, yet that is what you do exactly, with mine.
I don't know how you got that from what I wrote as all was I was doing was drawing a comparison with approaches to the ToE and the concept of Divine creation, plus I did link you to a source to deal with your questions that you just blew off.

Therefore, because you appear to love grandstanding much more than having a serious discussion, I'll just bow out of this as I've seen trolling like this before.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No, you just did not read the analogy, but launched into righteously indignant talking points..

Try taking a chapter from a tantric Hindi book, and putting it in 'war & Peace,' in Russian.

Maybe it will make perfect sense, in Progresso World.. :shrug:

Reading comprehension is not important, just pounding a propaganda drum..
/shakes head/

The analogy makes no sense and i listed reasons why it makes no sense.

Try taking a snippet of dna from one animal and editing it... Yes it happens.

Says the one who stomps his foot in propaganda meltdown and provides not one shred of evidence. Interesting way you twist facts to make yourself feel better about having nothing.

I will repeat... DNA does not lie. As yet you have done nothing but build strawmen in your attempt to disprove that statement

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
@usfan , nothing substantial yet, huh? You won’t get anything, only evidence for micro evolution, ie., change within species.

Somebody mentioned the “fossil record”, but this works against evolutionary theory...the supposed gaps are too great.

Stephen Jay Gould recognized this. That’s why he and Eldredge came up with “punctuated equilibrium”, allowing for big jumps in mutations. Unfortunately for them, no observed tests support it. It’s only assumption.

And ERV’s apparently serve functions necessary for regulating genes and other processes, as if they were made for those tasks.

https://evolutionnews.org/2011/05/do_shared_ervs_support_common_/

https://evolutionnews.org/2015/09/toppling_anothe/

No ‘junk DNA’, there!
So your really know nothing about evolution or science, and either make it up or repeat other made up stories.

The fossil record supports evolution and the gaps keep getting smaller and smaller, but they do vary among groups.

Punctuated equilibrium is evolution. Specifically about the mode of evolution observed in that fossil record you just claimed doesn't support evolution. Which is it dude?

Whether and ERV has evolved a function or not is irrelevant. The point is the patterns that exist among related species. You have some that are shared and some that are different. The only way this pattern is explained is if the species in question are related.

Wow. Still hung up on a generic term used to describe noncoding DNA as a whole.

David T

Premium Member
I'm not a researcher but have some science education: calculus, physics, biology, chemistry.

Its the ever growing tree of life with billions of species, and there is a walking path between them all. I don't have machines that let me read DNA, but there is no clear demarcation allowing us to group the creatures into neat categories. The naming process tries to, but it can't. They are all related to each other. Add to that the observed mechanisms of differentiation and age of the Earth, and it seems obvious there is common descent.
The tree isnt a debate topic its self evident no science needed.

I do think natural selection is challengable but i would never bother here with that.

David T

Premium Member

Christine You are arguing with a psycholgy of a fantasy there is a reality outside reality guiding reality. Like a very advanced computer thats personal and thats all.
Whats the problem? eliminate the bible from the equasion its not the problem its merely used to justify the problem not is the problem.

Why does the problem exist? Do not use the bible at all.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
'Origins of species?'
Good boy. It is a theory about the origin of species. But you did not say that and my response was completely valid. I am the one that should be holding my hand to my forehead and shaking my head. Here are your words "I propose a discussion about the evidence for this theory of origins. AKA, 'the theory of evolution', it is the most widely believed theory about life in the modern world". See. Theory of origins and theory about life is what you wrote. You said nothing about species, diversity, common descent, etc. Creationists almost always confuse evolution and abiogenesis. I would find it unsurprising if you did as well.
I'm a human being, who uses scientific methodology to sift empiricism from conjecture. :D
So no qualifications except your own belief that you know enough science to address it, yet you did not know that evolution is not a theory of the origin of life.
Exactly. This is NOT an 'Atheists vs Christians!' debate, but a look at origins.
There you go again. Let us not forget that you were the one to open that door, so you made it an "Atheists vs Christians versus Knowledgeable Christians" thing.
I'm still waiting for evidence, and am just beginning to craft responses. How can i 'Reject!!' what has not been presented?
We are waiting for your evidence. Good grief, do you really think your attempt to get others to do all the work wasn't picked up on?

Don't project you biases and agenda on me.
I would recommend that you follow that advice, but I doubt you will pay it any attention.
Right. But some are presenting philosophy, not science.
All I have seen is people presenting evidence or asking you to actually open your discussion with your own claims, arguments and evidence.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
'Chromosome fusion' is not the mechanism you hope for, as it does not account for the more critical differences in the genes. Merely fusing chromosomes does not change the genes, which are carried over from the parent to child for as long as we have tested the limits of genetics. THAT is the central problem, to account for the variation (or lack thereof) within the chromosome pairs.. the number of pairs are not the traits, but only the carriers.. the 'file cabinets' that contain the genes. But it is the genes themselves that make an organism what it is. Your eye color, skin, hair, height, features, even intelligence, are products of your genetics.. handed down to you by your parents. There is no provision for adding or changing features that your parents did not already possess. So the assumption that genes can just flit about, or change randomly, or be created on the fly, is absurd, & has no scientific basis.
No ad hom or false accusations needed, in a scientific rebuttal.

..only if you arbitrarily define 'species!' But if you go by genetic architecture. follow the mtdna flags, and let haplogroups define speciation, there is no evidence of new 'species!', traits, and unique genomic architectures. It is circular reasoning, by definition, and uses the ambiguity of terminology to fool the uninformed.

Easy. Look at the traits of a chimp. Now look at the traits of a human. There are huge genetic differences. Their genes are different. Their bones, muscles, skin, hair, eyes, and just about everything is completely different, non-interchangeable, and unique to that species/haplotype.

I would say it likely conflicts with the indoctrination, but not the actual facts.

Scientifically, there is no evidence that the chimp's 24 chromosomes, & their thousands of genes, could or did fuse to form the human chromosome, with their thousands of genes in each one. There is too much variety, & the leap between the 2 is too great, genetically, to have happened naturally. We can't even do it in a lab.. Unless you can come up with a mechanism that can affect these kinds of changes, the leap is too great, & the concept is absurd. it is a belief, with no basis in science.
What, no bread and all this soup and word salad.

Explain how haplogroups define speciation.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
So your really know nothing about evolution or science, and either make it up or repeat other made up stories.

The fossil record supports evolution and the gaps keep getting smaller and smaller, but they do vary among groups.

Punctuated equilibrium is evolution. Specifically about the mode of evolution observed in that fossil record you just claimed doesn't support evolution. Which is it dude?

Whether and ERV has evolved a function or not is irrelevant. The point is the patterns that exist among related species. You have some that are shared and some that are different. The only way this pattern is explained is if the species in question are related.

Wow. Still hung up on a generic term used to describe noncoding DNA as a whole.
Lol. And I "know nothing"! Funny stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.